By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I honestly believe gaming PCs are becoming niche market

Intrinsic said:
zarx said:
And yet high end GPU sales are up YoY

That means so litle you will be shocked. For all those talking about YOY sales please try and understand this.

On Wednesday afternoon, NVIDIA Corporation (NASDAQ: NVDA ) reported stellar Q4 results. Revenue grew 9% sequentially and 3% year over year to $1.14 billion, which was well ahead of the company's guidance range of $1.05 billion plus or minus 2%.

NVIDIA's strong results were driven not by its growth initiatives in mobile computing or cloud-based graphics processors, but by its core GPU business.

As a result of strong demand from gamers and market share gains, NVIDIA grew sales of its high-end GeForce GTX GPUs nearly 50% year over year in Q4. This was the primary factor driving 14% revenue growth in the GPU business, which more than offset a year-over-year decline in sales of Tegra mobile processors. Strong sales of high-end GPUs also helped NVIDIA post record annual gross margin of 54.9%.

So lets break that down. So sales as a company greaw 3% YOY and it had highend GPUs to thank for that. Remember, "highend" GPUs typically cost anywhere ebtween $500 and $1000 and then some. But lets put it at an average of $750. We are talking highend GPUs as nvidia clearly stated. Not mobile or general average GPUs. They also said it was responsible for 14% growth revenue. Now they made $1.14B of overall revenue in that quater. So lets extrapolate that to a cool $4B for 4 quaters. Now lets say 50% of all that revenue is due to highend GPUs and ignore most of what else nvidia does as a business (impossibly high estimate but this outlandish estimat will help put things in perspective).

At $750 average for a high-end GPU, and looking at $2B in sales... we are looking at yearly sales of 2.67M. Mind you, if you really take everything into consoderation, its impossible that nvidia is selling this many GPUs with an averag price of $750. Its probably around half that at best. So coming and just saying YOY growth or whatever is up really doesn't mean anything besides sounding and looking good on a investor report. Oh and two words "BITCOIN MINING"

To OP:

PC gaming has and will always be a niche. Its just becoming a very very very very very loud niche. But its still a niche regardless. Its just like looking at fans of a certain platform on these forums. If you go by post count or how many they seem to be you would expect that platform to outsell everything else. But that platform ends up seling less than a third of what the leading platform is selling every month. Thats how PC gaming is too.

Whoever uses Nvidia for pure Bitcoin mining would be in the pool of the biggest fucking retards alive, if you don't understand why that is then you have no business being in the topic to start with.

Around the Network

If anything is dying, it's consoles.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

Tamron said:
outlawauron said:
Xenostar said:
Strange belief when steam just posted there record for highest number of online users last week

And 90% of Steam users don't have gaming PCs. 

interesting,  which orafice did that figure come from? 

From the fact that user surveys of hardware show that their rigs are worse than current gen consoles. I wouldn't call those gaming PCs.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
Tamron said:
outlawauron said:
Xenostar said:
Strange belief when steam just posted there record for highest number of online users last week

From the fact that user surveys of hardware show that their rigs are worse than current gen consoles. I wouldn't call those gaming PCs.

So any hardware less than a "current gen console" (PS4 + XBO) ain't no gaming hardware anymore? A PC with a Core2Quad and a GTX 470 or a GTX 560 or GTX 650 or a similar performing AMD-card was a gaming PC until early November, but lost its gaming status a few days after that?    

With that logic, PS3, 360, Wii U, and Wii aren't no "gaming consoles" anymore, too.

Around the Network
dahuman said:

Whoever uses Nvidia for pure Bitcoin mining would be in the pool of the biggest fucking retards alive, if you don't understand why that is then you have no business being in the topic to start with.

Relax, I am fully aware that AMD cards are preferred for bitcoin mining and how that is artificially responsible for the recent price hikes on amd gpus. It doesn change that some people still use nvidia cards for bitcoin mining. That aside, I was just trying to make point that there are other things besides gaming that may prompt people to buy high-end GPUs. I could just have easily said GPGPU applications.

That aside, I am not longer actively taking part in this discussion. just reading the posts from everyone else now.

All evidence points to the exact opposite of this.

Litteraly every quantifiable, factual information. Steam users all time high, high end GPUs up, games like Watch Dogs selling tons of units.

Currently, there is little need for high-end PC's for gaming. There are too few games to exploit the investment. Most games from PS4 and XONE are playable with the middle tier hardware. 

Further,some games are blocking PC users to make em shine on their righs. Latest example is Watchdogs, which has disabled features which enhance the look of the game, most probably to ensure parity wiht consoles. IMHO, PC gamers should boycott these games and fund projects that will take advantage of their hardware capabilities.

But, to disprove your point, Star Citizen raised over $47 million for a game in the making, which is aimed at high-end PC configurations. Also worth a shout is project CARS.

So, you need to define "niche" in your context. Seeing as most people play some sort of games on mobile devices, we can freely say that console market as a whole is niche.

Conina said:
outlawauron said:

rom the fact that user surveys of hardware show that their rigs are worse than current gen consoles. I wouldn't call those gaming PCs.

So any hardware less than a "current gen console" (PS4 + XBO) ain't no gaming hardware anymore? A PC with a Core2Quad and a GTX 470 or a GTX 560 or GTX 650 or a similar performing AMD-card was a gaming PC until early November, but lost its gaming status a few days after that?    

With that logic, PS3, 360, Wii U, and Wii aren't no "gaming consoles" anymore, too.

I built my PC in 2009/2010. It's no longer up to the standards of gaming PCs. It can handle most things on low/medium settings, but I still wouldn't consider it a gaming PC or myself a big PC gamer.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
Tamron said:
outlawauron said:
Xenostar said:

Actually it shows that intel mobile gpus are the most common,  but given the disparity between different intel gpus and different amd/nvidia that metric is useless and cannot be used to pull a 90% figure out of out backsides. 

if you have 50 people with intel graphics and then you have 20 different amd and nvidia gpus,  but only 5 people with each card,  in terms of popularity on the hardware survey the intel gpu would show as 90% and each of the other gpus would show as 10% despite twice as many people owning non-intel cards. 

Also,  if your 2010 built rig cant handle current games unless you crank the settings to low for it to run,  i put it to you that your rig wasnt high end when you built it anyway. 

Let me guess,  mid range amd cpu,  mid range gpu?