By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - My PS4 Impressions / Wii U Comparison

Rain: PS4 Impressions

For now I will just give my opinion on the PS4. The console itself is much smaller than I expected it to be. I also like the design of how it's built. Specifically, I like how the console has different colored lights depending on what mode it's in. (On,off, or standby) It's a small but cool looking design choice. 

I haven't actually used any of the non-gaming features yet, but I will definitely look into the PSN's movie renting service if it's good quality. The prices seem to be cheaper than On Demand. 

The Duelshock 4 is pretty nice and is an improvement over the DS3. The controller is comfortable to hold, and feels nice in the hands. The touchpad is a nice feature and while I only used it for typing so far, I look forward to its future use. My favorite addition is the backing light. Doesn't seem like much but I think it's a really cool feature. 

I've only played digital games so far, and am already pleased by the graphics. While I'm not impressed or blown away, they are really solid already. I'm sure retail games and future output will be even better.

So far, I only have the free PS+ games & Don't Starve. While I don't have any full retail games yet, I'm still really enjoying the games I do have. My favorite games are definitely Don't Starve & Doki Doki Universe. Both games are excellent, especially when you consider one was free. I don't understand why digital games are so looked-down upon by most of the VGC community. Some of them are really good and hold strong value. To each their own I guess.

Rain: PS4 / Wii U comparison

*Note: This isn't to rip on either system, I was asked to do a comparison between the two since I've owned both*

Console design: Tie - The Wii U is smaller so it fits in tighter spaces better but it looks like a Wii. The design isn't cool or unique but again, is helpful being small. On the other hand, the PS4 was too big to fit where the U was. The console itself looks more appealing though. 

Non-Gaming features: Wii U - While the PS4 has a wide variety of non-gaming features to its name, none of them are all that useful to me. This will obviously depend on preference like the rest of my impression but the only useful feature to me is the ability to rent movies and such directly from the PSN store. This to me, is better than Hulu, Amazon video, or Netflix. The Gamepad makes the Wii U a pretty cool system for features outside of gaming. The ability to view the store, watch a movie, or check for updates without having the T.V on is great. This freedom alone makes the Wii U better in terms of things you can do besides play games.

Controller: Tie - This category is a tie because both controllers are better at different things. For pure gaming, the DS4 controller wins hands down. The controller is traditional (if it ain't broke, don't fix it) and feels much more comfortable to hold and play with. Yet, the touchpad and backing light add a sense of "new" to it. I really enjoy using it. The Gamepad doesn't feel as good to me while playing games and never actually added that much to gameplay. Sure, having the map displayed is nice but it's not needed. Also, I didn't care to play games off-TV or I'd just play a handheld. What it does do great is again, the ability to do things without the T.V on. While the extra screen doesn't do much for me in terms of gameplay, having the ability to do other things with it does make it useful. 

Graphics: PS4 - I know this ones pretty obvious but I will mention it nonetheless. I have only played digital games on PS4 and already see that the PS4 is superior in the visual department. After watching YouTube videos, I thought the graphics weren't that different. Well, they're deceiving and don't do the PS4 justice. (or any new console for that matter) The gap isn't as big as PS3 VS Wii but I'd say its like Dreamcast compared to the Gamecube. This will likely only increase as the gen goes on. The Wii U truly is a mid-gen system on the power side.

Games: Wii U - Remember, this is only based off the games I have played on each system. For Wii U I had, Super Mario 3D World, ZombiU, Pikmin 3, Mario Kart 8, and Dr. Luigi. For PS4 I have, Don't Starve, Doki Doki, Trine 2, Pixlejunk, Towerfall, and Strider. Both Mario Kart 8, and Pikmin 3 are better than any current PS4 game I own. Overall, both have fun games to play from my limited experience with both but so far Wii U leads.

Value & Future Appeal: PS4 - Overall, I think the PS4 is the better console and has more to offer. Yes, you "pay" to play online but the thing is, PS+ is a great deal that everyone should jump on reguardless of it being required to play online. Basically, this makes online free to me. PS+ has much more value than Nintendo's digital promotion 10% back deal. Looking at the price, for just $100 more, you get a more powerful console, access to a much wider variety of games, better online, (Again, Plus is a positive reguardless) trophies, and more. Looking into the future, PS4 will likely have the longer life and better games for me personally.

Overall, both systems are great and have a lot to offer. If you're a fan of Nintendo and still like their style, you'll love the system. I'd recommend that people who haven't tried Nintendo games much before, buy one and maybe you'll like it. If not, it's clear to see why PS4 is winning the console race against Nintendo. (Xbox has nothing to do with this thread) It has a much brighter future and is easily the better console when looking at overall value and long-term appeal. 

Lastly, I'm happy with my decision to trade in the Wii U for a PS4 :)

Around the Network

Good decision.

Just pointing out, that 10% back on all eshop purchases is just as that, for all eshop purchases, even DLC. When Sony does that (and it's rare) you have to buy a qualifying amount of items to get any money back. I found that 10% back to be very useful especially when you have your wallet stretched across two consoles (my 2DS and Wii U). Provides me enough money to enjoy things. Although I feel you should have just outright bought a PS4 instead of trading in your Wii U, many of the upcoming games for it are console exclusive, including Bayonetta 2 (including the remastered Bayonetta 1) Both 1080p 60fps experiences.

why cant all vgc members be this open minded and free of sarcasm

and to the post above me,  i would rather have discounts then a 10% money back promotion,  and with ps+ a large portion of content is discounted quite nicely (often over 10%), with the added benefit of not being tied to your ps+ subscription. 

I want buy all console.
Even XBOX ONE, but only in 2016/2017.
In 2015, i want buy PS4 with The Order 1886!!!

Around the Network

No need to decide a winner between these two. They're both just necessary components in addition to a gaming PC to have a fulfilling 8th gen.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

amak11 said:
Just pointing out, that 10% back on all eshop purchases is just as that, for all eshop purchases, even DLC.

I'm aware of this. I respect your opinion but I think PS+ is still a much better deal. $50 gets you 2 free games a month for a year. Basically, 24 free digital games...more if you own more than one PS system.

Always sad to see someone trade in a console, but congrats on the PS4:)

vivster said:
No need to decide a winner between these two

Why not? I was fair, clarified at the start that it was only my personal opinion, and even said that the Wii U was a great console depending on your situation. I see nothing wrong with what I posted.

Good read, thanks for sharing your thoughts.