By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - My PS4 Impressions / Wii U Comparison

*Sound Of Rain said:
amak11 said:
Just pointing out, that 10% back on all eshop purchases is just as that, for all eshop purchases, even DLC.

I'm aware of this. I respect your opinion but I think PS+ is still a much better deal. $50 gets you 2 free games a month for a year. Basically, 24 free digital games...more if you own more than one PS system.

I own a PS system and found no value in PS+. Then again, I really dislike the PS+ free games that they have chosen for quite a while now (I even had PS+ at one point, and thought it was the bees knees). But I respect your opinions :) 

Around the Network

Im a sucker for good design whatever it is. I think the Wii U gets points for being small, however it's not attractive at all. If anything it looks pretty generic. Don't like the curves so much and the long length looks awkward against the smaller width.

The PS4 however looks slick and contemporary with clean lines. If it were smaller/thinner I think it would be the best looking console unit ever made.

Nice review. I can't judge the PS4s controller or non gaming features cause I don't own a PS4 but I agree with the rest of your opinions.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

How long did you own a WiiU? It would be cool if you could do another comparison once you've owned the PS4 for the same amount of time.

I honestly don't know why anyone would be happy having to trade in one console for another. Sure, the PS4 is more powerful than the Wii U, but that has no bearing on which console actually will have the better games. Even though the PS4 is more powerful, it is not a night and day difference. When comparing how powerful any of the current generation of consoles actually are, the best way to compare is by looking at different levels of ps gaming rigs. To keep this simple, you have you low range, mid range and upper range PC gaming rigs. Unfortunately, even the PS4 and XboxOne only fall around the mid range level. It would be fair to even say, they are at the higher range of mid level PCs, but that is their limit. The Wii U is at the low end of the mid range PC units, as far as power and really the only thing holding the Wii U back is that there isn't more available memory, Now, even if there was more memory, it still would not be as powerful as the PS4 and XboxOne. 

Right now the Wii U has the best library of games available. Of course that statement also will depend on which type of games one perfers to play. If you are a FPS freak and only enjoy those games, then the Wii U probably will not be the console for you. Between Nintendo's terrific first party offereing, the wide variety of games available on the eshop, from great indie games to classic VC games, the Wii U has plenty of games to offer even the most hard to please gamer.  

Myself, between my PC, which 95 percent of the time has the better looking version of any third party game and my Wii U, the only games I will miss out on is Sony and MS's exclusives and hell,  there really isn't any exclusive Xbox games, cause eventually, they end up on the PC anyways. So really, I only miss out on Sony exclusive games. Just to make it clear, I'm not part of the PC master race, those PC braggers make me sick. Nintendo is my favorite videogame developer, always has been and always will be. I'm 49 years old and I will take a Nintendo developed game over any others, any day of the week. With that said, a true videogamer doesn't put down another console or troll on  them, ect, unless the game is developed by Microsoft..ha,ha....only kidding, sortof.

I used to enjoy my Xbox 360, but really I enjoyed all the great games available for the system. But every since MS took the stance they did last year, the whole drm fiasco, ect, it really showed they don't give a shit about the gamer, only themselves. So, while you will never see me trolling someone else for buying MS's consoles, you will also never see me praising MS. I've had people say to me, "Well, MS is trying to correct those mistakes." Sure they are because of all the damage those mistakes have costed them, its not really because they care for us gamers, they only want our money. While most busineses are that way, MS is just out and out worse than most other companies. It would be great if all gamers would open their eyes and only buy Sony, Nintendo and Mac pcs. Yes, unfortunately, I own a windows based gaming rig, only cause I cannot afford Apple's ridiculous prices. That is another topic, but its always bewildered me, doesn't Apple know that if they made the prices more affordable, most people would opt to buy their pcs? I never will understand their thinking in keeping the prices so high. Their elctronic parts, widget, plastic housing doesn't cost any more than those to make a windows based PC. 

Back on topic, the gaming world would be so much a better place if people would just talk about the great games to play and stop trying to come up with ridiculous arguements why this console is better than this one or why PC gaming is the best, yada, yada, yada. Its all so stupid. We need all the different platforms and game developers to keep the competition going, that way, us gamers are the ones who benefit. Hoping that company X goes out of business or that that company X should make their games available on all platforms, is a waste of time and energy and is not productive at all. 

Around the Network

@OP

It sucks you had to trade in your Wii U to get a PS4, as having both would have been better, and you'll certainly be missing out on some great Wii U games in the future. Then again, I suppose you could always get one again when the price goes down later on.

@gamewizard65

I'd have to more or less agree with you. While I don't have an amazing "gaming pc", it still does the job, and between Wii U and PC, I'm pretty much good this generation. I can't guarantee that years from now when it's way cheaper and way more games are out, that I WON'T ever get a PS4. If enough games come out that I actually want, and if I have the extra $$$$$, we'll see. But like you said, between 1st/2nd party offerings and eShop indie titles, I'm already pretty much satisfied just with my Wii U, and anything else I need I can probably get on Steam, more often than not.

I will say that, though I criticize the Wii U's controller from a business decision standpoint, it's easily the most appealing "multi-media" feature of all the consoles. Kind of ironic, really. If Nintendo had all the online focus that Microsoft and Sony have, I think they could have done some special things with the gamepad.

amak11 said:
Just pointing out, that 10% back on all eshop purchases is just as that, for all eshop purchases, even DLC. When Sony does that (and it's rare) you have to buy a qualifying amount of items to get any money back. I found that 10% back to be very useful especially when you have your wallet stretched across two consoles (my 2DS and Wii U). Provides me enough money to enjoy things. Although I feel you should have just outright bought a PS4 instead of trading in your Wii U, many of the upcoming games for it are console exclusive, including Bayonetta 2 (including the remastered Bayonetta 1) Both 1080p 60fps experiences.

Dunno why you are bitter. He made a decision and he prefers what he decided to do.

That aside.. why point out features for one platform and dismiss feautures of the other simply cause you think it makes you have a better point?

The PS+, in addition to giving you two games every month for every playstation platform i.e 2 for PS4, 2 for PS3 and 2 for Vita is a lot of added value right there. Its something that nintendo isn't doing period. In addition to this, sony does offer PS+ member discounts on a lot of titles, DLC, themes...etc . So while it may not cover every single digital purchase like the wiiU there is still a lot of added value there and the reason why today PS+/PSN is regarded as the best online service of the 3 major platforms.

To OP. Get infamous... then your mind would officially be blown.

Interesting to read some opinions here praising the ps4 design... personally I hate how it looks.

carlos710 - Capitán Primero: Nintendo Defense Force

"Wii are legion, for Wii are many"

Intrinsic said:
amak11 said:
Just pointing out, that 10% back on all eshop purchases is just as that, for all eshop purchases, even DLC. When Sony does that (and it's rare) you have to buy a qualifying amount of items to get any money back. I found that 10% back to be very useful especially when you have your wallet stretched across two consoles (my 2DS and Wii U). Provides me enough money to enjoy things. Although I feel you should have just outright bought a PS4 instead of trading in your Wii U, many of the upcoming games for it are console exclusive, including Bayonetta 2 (including the remastered Bayonetta 1) Both 1080p 60fps experiences.

Dunno why you are bitter. He made a decision and he prefers what he decided to do.

That aside.. why point out features for one platform and dismiss feautures of the other simply cause you think it makes you have a better point?

The PS+, in addition to giving you two games every month for every playstation platform i.e 2 for PS4, 2 for PS3 and 2 for Vita is a lot of added value right there. Its something that nintendo isn't doing period. In addition to this, sony does offer PS+ member discounts on a lot of titles, DLC, themes...etc . So while it may not cover every single digital purchase like the wiiU there is still a lot of added value there and the reason why today PS+/PSN is regarded as the best online service of the 3 major platforms.

To OP. Get infamous... then your mind would officially be blown.

I second infamous. It's a bit lacking in content but the game itself is brilliant. It's also drop dead gorgeous ;D