By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Final Fantasy XV end the series' decline in Japan?

Mystro-Sama said:

Uhhh wat? Research was conducted last gen and the average development cost for a game was $23m with certain higher budget games going into $60m. So to break even for an average HD game you would have to sell $383k copies.

What happened with Tomb Raider was a rare occurance of SE being poor with budget management.

First off you are wrong, primarily because different types of games require different kinda work/devs and costs; but secondly lets even look at it as if you were right.

Higher bidget games eg. FF15 say cost SQEX $60M to make. And we are not even looking at a marketing budget, just the development costs for say 3-4yrs of development. To break even they would have to sell 2M copies. This is because from every $60 sale, publishers/devs get only around $30. the rest goes to royalties, retailers and packaging/distribution costs. So i really don't know who or where cam up with that research numbers for you. 

Now the average salary for game developers is currently at $80k. If you are looking at a development team that is as large as say 200 people, then that puts the annual development manpower costs at an average of $16M/yr and this isn't adding overhead costs like dev kits and research funding. I could go on, but there are just so many factors your numbers doesn't account for.

Around the Network
RenCutypoison said:
Sleepyprince said:
etking said:

No, because FFXV is no real Final Fantasy JRPG. It will be just a stupid Kingdom-Hearts-like button mashing action game like 1000 others. No JRPG means bad sales.

Put the game in hard mode, put a gopro on your head, try to finish the first Kingdom hearts and come says that to me again. Beside, Sephiroth from KH1 is known as being the most difficult boss in video game 3D history.

I love Kingdom Hearts, but sephiroth wasn't that hard. You did need a few pots though

Mysterious figure is so much harder than Sephiroth. But any boss on Critical Mode is a pain.

Worst thing sephiroth did was drain all your health and magica then kill you when you can't heal, and bypass second chance and once more abilities, but all you need to do is A) hit him before the spell completes, or B) use a potion with the right timing so it falls on you after the spell completes but before he telports behidn you which is really easy. The only way to beat Mysterious Figure is to spam thunder surge and doge a whole lot.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

I think that FF13-2 and Lightning Returns should be included in the OP to see the extent to which FF13 damaged the franchise in Japan and worldwide.

I think FF13 may have devastated the franchise, but its not dead yet.

Will FF15 save it? Don't know or care anymore.

A203D said:
I think that FF13-2 and Lightning Returns should be included in the OP to see the extent to which FF13 damaged the franchise in Japan and worldwide.

I think FF13 may have devastated the franchise, but its not dead yet.

Will FF15 save it? Don't know or care anymore.

Why include XIII- 2 and XIII-3 ? Of course they sold less than XIII.

If you include them, you might as well include dirge of cerberus (wich did horrible, especially considering FFVII popularity) and FFX-2, which did worse than X but less than XII and XIII

I hope it does, but I doubt it.

Around the Network

Nope.... hell it will do 1 million only if its better quality wise then XIII... and judging by the videos I have seen thus far, and living by a FF7 universe metaphor: it looks more like Dirge of Cerberus than Crisis Core

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Considering their horrible taste, (FFVIII as the highest selling, really?) does it even matter?

Seriously though, the fact that its on a home console already hurts its chances. I have little faith in the console market rebounding in Japan, so I think the best we can hope for is that the series doesn't take another 500k tumble.

The console market decline alone will see FFXV sales not even touch the heights of its predecessors and even with out the decline I think XIII's stigma may have hurt the series. SE's apparent laziness with XIII may cost XV dear and tbh I'm not confident in them handling FFXV.

The only hope for fans is that XV is on par in quality with some of the better games in the series as FFXVI is most likely not turning up until the gen after, we'll probably be seeing XV-2 and all that first.

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
RenCutypoison said:
Sleepyprince said:
etking said:

No, because FFXV is no real Final Fantasy JRPG. It will be just a stupid Kingdom-Hearts-like button mashing action game like 1000 others. No JRPG means bad sales.

Put the game in hard mode, put a gopro on your head, try to finish the first Kingdom hearts and come says that to me again. Beside, Sephiroth from KH1 is known as being the most difficult boss in video game 3D history.

I love Kingdom Hearts, but sephiroth wasn't that hard. You did need a few pots though

Mysterious figure is so much harder than Sephiroth. But any boss on Critical Mode is a pain.

Worst thing sephiroth did was drain all your health and magica then kill you when you can't heal, and bypass second chance and once more abilities, but all you need to do is A) hit him before the spell completes, or B) use a potion with the right timing so it falls on you after the spell completes but before he telports behidn you which is really easy. The only way to beat Mysterious Figure is to spam thunder surge and doge a whole lot.

You can also spam your keyblade move, when Sora throw the keyblade. You can do it something like 7 times. It helps a lot, but still Sephiroth is pain to beat in hardest mode. Even if you know everything on how to beat him (wich is kind of cheating) one miss on harder mode, just one and you're dead. And since he has such THIS amount of life, there's a lot of room to make that just one mistake. That only fact about him is annoying.

This is a game that is really hard to meet our expectations.
I also believe we'll see a downgrade in graphics since the last trailer.
However, I wish this game luck, because:
1) I always wanted FFXV to be good. (It seems like the FF I personally always wanted)
2) I believe it will bring more confidence to the Japanese gaming Industry and specifically to SquareEnix.

But, seeing that they; allready plan to make sequels from this game (I think they said that)
I don't think they have a vision anymore for this series.
Too bad.
I can't think of a game that I want to succeed more.
Maybe only KH3 but the success(or failure) of this game will surelly have a big effect on KH.

Anyway we'll wait and see...