By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Final Fantasy XV end the series' decline in Japan?

FFXV will beat out XIII at least. Probably end up between 2-2.5M in sales in Japan.

Around the Network
Mystro-Sama said:
Dumbass software publishers in Japan are killing consoles in their own country. And they're all to blame for it so that includes SE, Capcom, Sony, and Nintendo.

SE and Capcom focus on mobile gaming, which just adds to the problem. While Sony and Nintendo focus on the West.

This is so sad to see. They're probably regretting it right now.

Unfortunately, this is completely true. Though its not their fault.

HD level games just cost a lot to make. In the PS2/PS1 era, a game like FF7/8/9/10 could cost anywhere between $3-$15M to make. In the HD era, you just need a lot more developers working on your game. And these developers cost more these days because of the demand for great talent. So now we look at an annual development budget of anything between $20-$30M per year of development. Thats a lot for HD level RPGs that typically take well over 3 years to make. 

A jap dev making a game will thus be looking at spending anywhere between $40M-$90M for a game that take around 2-3yrs to make. To break even they would need to sell at least 3-4M copies of that game. Thats a very scary prospect for any japan centric developer and hence the westernization of most games. This is why SQEX will make a push for Tomb raider and dues ex cause not only are those 2yrcycle games, they appeal to the western audience and can at least gurantee them around 4-6M in sales.

It might beat XIII's sales but I doubt it will reach the sales of XII.

Probably not, but FFXV promises to be the quintessential FF experience so I'm pumped either way.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

It will probably match or slightly exceed FFXIII in Japan, and do better in the west I would think because of the more action-orientated elements (not by much though). However I don't the install base will ever really be there in Japan to make PS1 or PS2 era sales a possibility.

Bare in mind that FFVIII holds the all time record for Japanese debut week sales at over 2.5million (EDIT: I think). FFXIII only managed ~1.85m LTD

Around the Network
Blood_Tears said:
FFXV will beat out XIII at least. Probably end up between 2-2.5M in sales in Japan.

Really O.o Thats a hell of alot. I know its going to be huge but 2mil-2.5mil!!!!???! If it sells that in this huge decline time thats pretty damn good.

Good Luck :0

etking said:

No, because FFXV is no real Final Fantasy JRPG. It will be just a stupid Kingdom-Hearts-like button mashing action game like 1000 others. No JRPG means bad sales.

Ignorance, worthlessness, you understand nothing.

You can click here and become enlightened: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=185997&page=1#

or wallow in your foolish ignorance.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

tbone51 said:
Blood_Tears said:

Really O.o Thats a hell of alot. I know its going to be huge but 2mil-2.5mil!!!!???! If it sells that in this huge decline time thats pretty damn good.

Good Luck :0

Thanks.   :)     I'm thinking positive for it. Hopefully they offer some sweet looking bundle for it, if so that should help quite a bit.

Intrinsic said:
Mystro-Sama said:
Dumbass software publishers in Japan are killing consoles in their own country. And they're all to blame for it so that includes SE, Capcom, Sony, and Nintendo.

SE and Capcom focus on mobile gaming, which just adds to the problem. While Sony and Nintendo focus on the West.

This is so sad to see. They're probably regretting it right now.

Unfortunately, this is completely true. Though its not their fault.

HD level games just cost a lot to make. In the PS2/PS1 era, a game like FF7/8/9/10 could cost anywhere between $3-$15M to make. In the HD era, you just need a lot more developers working on your game. And these developers cost more these days because of the demand for great talent. So now we look at an annual development budget of anything between $20-$30M per year of development. Thats a lot for HD level RPGs that typically take well over 3 years to make. 

A jap dev making a game will thus be looking at spending anywhere between $40M-$90M for a game that take around 2-3yrs to make. To break even they would need to sell at least 3-4M copies of that game. Thats a very scary prospect for any japan centric developer and hence the westernization of most games. This is why SQEX will make a push for Tomb raider and dues ex cause not only are those 2yrcycle games, they appeal to the western audience and can at least gurantee them around 4-6M in sales.

Uhhh wat? Research was conducted last gen and the average development cost for a game was $23m with certain higher budget games going into $60m. So to break even for an average HD game you would have to sell $383k copies.

What happened with Tomb Raider was a rare occurance of SE being poor with budget management.

Sleepyprince said:
etking said:

No, because FFXV is no real Final Fantasy JRPG. It will be just a stupid Kingdom-Hearts-like button mashing action game like 1000 others. No JRPG means bad sales.

Put the game in hard mode, put a gopro on your head, try to finish the first Kingdom hearts and come says that to me again. Beside, Sephiroth from KH1 is known as being the most difficult boss in video game 3D history.

I love Kingdom Hearts, but sephiroth wasn't that hard. You did need a few pots though