By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Final Fantasy XV end the series' decline in Japan?

DerNebel said:
ikki5 said:
DerNebel said:

Yeah, those were the mainline games...both 1 and 2 easily cleared a million, that's big for Japan, very big. If you don't consider KH big in Japan then you could basically say that Resident Evil isn't big either.

KH is a huge franchise, anything that does 500k+ is HUGE in japan! That said, i dunno if KH3 will clear 1mil as this is a different time than the ps2 (for the mainlines). Not even the portables of last gen came close to 1mil and those games are fairly popular!

WorldWide however with X1 i can see the franchise surpass KH2 in sales!

Around the Network

1 Mio. is not big for Japan, look at the Dragon Quest sales, or Animal Crossing or Tomodachi Collection.

etking said:
1 Mio. is not big for Japan, look at the Dragon Quest sales, or Animal Crossing or Tomodachi Collection.

Those are huge, is there in your opinion no level between huge and moderate? Is Youkai Watch not big in Japan? Do you realize that there are only 2 PS3 games that cleared the 1 million mark in Japan? 1 million is very big for Japan.

etking said:

Bro, its huge. Your taking the Best of the Best into account only. Anything in japan that sells over 200k-300k is huge. 90%of games dont even go over 200k there.

Break it down into tiers if you have to. But KH is a huge franchise, maybe not the top, but non the less huge.

Quick and off the top of my head for how big franchises are in japan. (Overall)

★Tier S: Games that no matter what, sell so much its unbelievable! Animal Crossing/Pokemon/Monster Hunter/DQ

★Tier A: Games that sell extremely well, but just dont get near Pokemon level: Mario 2D platformers / Mario Kart / Tomodachi Life / *Maybe Youkai Watch Soon

★Tier B: Games that do over million in sales but aren't as big as the others: Resident Evil/Final Fantasy/3D Mario

★Tier C: Games that are still huge and do close to a million (maybe like 750k-1mil): Kingdom Hearts/ Luigi's Mansion

All are still huge franchises!

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:
Not unless she can help it

What the fuck? Where do you find those gifs?! :0D

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network
DigitalDevilSummoner said:
The OP is completely out of touch. The problem first and foremost is the state of home consoles in Japan.

The real question is if -the few- upcoming AAA japanese games like MGS and FF will help improve console sales.

edit. the OP is also misleading if you notice the incredible attach rate of XIII compared to that of XII.

No ur wrong, why did the PS2 installments sell the than the PS1 installments despite having a larger install base? The series has been declining well before the decline of consoles in Japan.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Intrinsic said:
Sales of FF and any game for that matter in japan is directly proportional to its install base.Relative to its install base (and those willing to buy a PS4 just for it) it will do well, question is just how well will that be in relation to its install base.

FF13 did well in japan, sold through to about 20% of the japanese PS3 install base. thats COD like numbers in say NA for the PS3 if looking at sales in relation to regional install base.

This leads me to conclude that what japan needs aren't just games like FF, but an overall cheaper console. When FF15 releases, if the PS4 is at around $300 in japan at that time, I expect it to do very very very well. However, this is still just one game. Lets see if deep down, MGS5 and bloodborne can spur sales in japan before FF gets there.

Thats not true tho, PS2 had a larger install base than PS1 yet the series started to decline anyway.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Dumbass software publishers in Japan are killing consoles in their own country. And they're all to blame for it so that includes SE, Capcom, Sony, and Nintendo.

SE and Capcom focus on mobile gaming, which just adds to the problem. While Sony and Nintendo focus on the West.

This is so sad to see. They're probably regretting it right now.

Maybe the main series crashes in home consoles and we'll have FF XVI on handhelds and mobile alone, maybe on the 3DS-Vita or the next gen handhelds (HDS-¿?¿?).

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

etking said:

No, because FFXV is no real Final Fantasy JRPG. It will be just a stupid Kingdom-Hearts-like button mashing action game like 1000 others. No JRPG means bad sales.

Put the game in hard mode, put a gopro on your head, try to finish the first Kingdom hearts and come says that to me again. Beside, Sephiroth from KH1 is known as being the most difficult boss in video game 3D history.

I am not a huge fan of Final Fantasy nor Kingdom hearts, but to me Kingdom hearts is far more entertaining and intersting that the whole Final Fantasy franchise. And better game designed too.