By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Last of Us remastered now officially 1080p 60fps!

VanceIX said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
spemanig said:
kupomogli said:
But but but.... next gen consoles are too weak to do 1080p @60fps when the game looks marginally good.

TLOU is a linear game. Not nearly as damanding. This doesn't "prove" anything.

Their is no correlation between linearity and the technical demands of the game. Crytek 3.

A game the size of Grand Theft Auto or Skyrim with a dynamic world would require the game engine to handle much more than a game that only has to have a small, non-dynamic, constrained game. It's why people drool over Naughty Dog, even though making linear games pretty isn't that hard when you have that kind of budget.

Now, if Naughty Dog made an open world, exploration-based game with those kind of graphics, yeah, that would be commendable. Having minature areas with set loading points like Uncharted and TLOU is much less stressful on the game engine.

But saying that Uncharted and TLOU are small and linear is very narrow minded.. sure the games design isnt open world, but there are multiple moments where the game shows huge vistas and or levels

Around the Network

Well consider how well it was on PS3, you should expect that from the PS4.

double dip day 0 again

1) It isn't a simple port, and that is obvious if you would spend 5 minutes looking it up.

2) The leap between Halo 2 -> Halo 2 HD will be a bigger leap than TLoU -> TLoU:R.  Duh, Halo 2 is a 2 generation old game.

3) Halo 2 HD coming from an older game means it should be easier to pull off in 1080p than a more modern game (Once again TLoU is getting fully remastered as well).

4) Having the extra engine buffer is a joke of an excuse.  A game that old takes up less than 10MB of that buffer.  It is pathetic if they can't pull it off.

1) as i said,, i yet to see any difference based on what they have shown so far since the game is coming very soon. not a single gameplay footage have been shown to show the supposive difference. Usually when a game company have yet to show footage of a game that is releasing in a few weeks ,, is  a bad sign meaning the differene is tiny. .

2) i wasn' talking that difference. i was referring to the fact that halo 2 is completely remade including all its assets to make it look like an xbox one 1 game where as TLOU remastered edition will not look much better then the ps3 version. it certainly won't look like a ps4 game with ps4 like graphics as you have seen with KZ or even BF4. 

3)  & 4) And you are the guys working for 343 and know for a  fact that its not the problem ? lol.  You know ofr a fact  that it takes less then 10mb? did you find such a link that proves it? I   I knnow its stupid for 343 to use such engines. they could scrape the old one  and use just the new one and i am sure if it used 1 engine much like  TLOU is ,, the game can easily reach 1080p 60fps.  PS :  i  would believe the experts over you :)

Kane1389 said:
dane007 said:
Eddie_Raja said:

if the E3 2014 is anything to go by then the improvement is not big. it won't be completely redone like halo 2 hd is. secondly wheres the gameplay video showing this supposive massive improvement. thirdly halo 2 hd has two engine buffer running together at the same both 1080p and 60fps which is more demanding.  

E3 2014 only showed cutscenes which look the same on PS3, but the cutscene models on PS3 is what an actual in-game models will look on PS4. ND was dumb not to show gameplay for people to see the real difference

Thats  usually a bad sign since the game is releasing in a few weeks. The game has already been released last year,, so it should be easy for them to show at least one gameplay footage. I heard that but  i havE yet to see that in gameplay footage. I 

Around the Network
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
GribbleGrunger said:

If the reason for this post was to enlighten then you failed because I just feel more stupid now.

It was to attempt to explain rendering in as short an explanation as possible.

The key take aways where: Rendering is a complicated and very taxing process that utilizes the most power of any game by necessity. There is literally no difference between loading one area of an open world without moving (linear), and moving across that open world thus changing the whatever you have in that area since they are both static/precomputed.

Thus I repeat myself again: There is no correlation between the linearity of a game and its technical demands.

Here's a fucking picture

For idiots simpletons dummies laymen uninformed, A rose by any other name would smell as sweet, the entire map is precomputed, but we are still rendering in real time, culling or cutting off at the boundaries of the red circle. Assuming our game is running at 30FPS, we are rendering at 30 hz constantly, regardless if we are culling a different part of the mesh(open warudo) or the same part constantly (linear)

Same. Everything else is a matter of design.

Hideo Kojima says that linear games have better graphics than open world here-

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/02/19/hideo-kojima-on-why-metal-gear-solid-vs-graphics-arent-as-good-as-linear-games-defends-length/

http://www.metalgearinformer.com/?p=12715

He talks about that MGSV's game engine, being designed for an openworld game, has to make certain graphical sacrifices. He is a game dev who has been in the industry for a long time, so I'll take his word for it.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

VanceIX said:

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/02/19/hideo-kojima-on-why-metal-gear-solid-vs-graphics-arent-as-good-as-linear-games-defends-length/

He talks about that MGSV's game engine, being designed for an openworld game, has to make certain graphical sacrifices. He is a game dev who has been in the industry for a long time, so I'll take his word for it.

So you have come this far, and still you understand nothing

First off, that is clearly PR, he is defending his game not being objective.

Second of all he clearly stated that the FOX engine is designed that way, the scale of the game i.e its size means he wants to render more objects which means he has to cut down on the graphical quality of each object being rendered (the meshes, the textures, etc). What you refuse to understand is if you are rendering the same amount of things with the same amount of complexity then it is the same amount of processing power.

The only difference is that a large game will be a larger size overall, more data that needs to be stored and loaded.

Attempting to use quotes out of ignorance only further excacerbates the faults in your understanding.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
VanceIX said:

So you have come this far, and still you understand nothing

First off, that is clearly PR, he is defending his game not being objective.

Second of all he clearly stated that the FOX engine is designed that way, the scale of the game i.e its size means he wants to render more objects which means he has to cut down on the graphical quality of each object being rendered (the meshes, the textures, etc). What you refuse to understand is if you are rendering the same amount of things with the same amount of complexity then it is the same amount of processing power.

The only difference is that a large game will be a larger size overall, more data that needs to be stored and loaded.

Attempting to use quotes out of ignorance only further excacerbates the faults in your understanding.

That's what I've been trying to say though. Most game engines are designed that way, and creating a massive world means sacrificing on quality in some senses.

Look, all right, you can say what you want. I respect your facts and computer knowledge. I'm in school right now going for a minor in computer science along with my normal degree. Hopefully one day I'll be able to better correlate with what you're saying, but for now I'll take the word of a bigger developer, whether he is defending his game or not, over yours.

All I'm saying is that you can't take TLOU and say that its graphics are even remotely feasible in an open-world game on last gen hardware.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Is the battle over?

Great news. There was never any doubt for Naughty Dog to deliver a game that looks and runs flawlessly.

I swear this type of news always has to stir up things between "opposing" fans. Both TLOU and Halo 2 are remasters. The purpose of a 'remaster' is to get a game up to date on code for hardware. The result is a game that looks as it belongs to the present generation of it's respective hardware. A port or upscale is different, and that's all there is to say.

Anyway, still on the fence on getting this. I'm no fan of ports or upscales, but remasters are always fun to see and play.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)