By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: Expect fewer AAA Games

BraveNewWorld said:
Sony can't keep up with the cost of development for a system that was out of date the minute it released?

Please stop sharing your thoughts on the internet.

User was moderated for this post- Conegamer

Around the Network

I miss the days where everything wasn't either indie or AAA.

BraveNewWorld said:
Sony can't keep up with the cost of development for a system that was out of date the minute it released?

Haha, nice.

curl-6 said:

Midtier still exists. Bayonetta 2 for one. Also, Dark Souls 2 and Wolfienstein

Dark Chaos said:
curl-6 said:

Midtier still exists. Bayonetta 2 for one. Also, Dark Souls 2 and Wolfienstein

True, but it has shrunk considerably. 

Around the Network
BraveNewWorld said:
theprof00 said:
BraveNewWorld said:

This post gave me cancer.

Why's that? All three console makers puprosefully made their consoles weaker to cut costs. If a company is struggling to financially support a system -- that they've already designed to be cheaper, then there's a problem.

Software costs are outpacing hardware costs by an unsustainable margin. Expect game prices to rise.

Being "out of date" has no relevancy to anything. The costs of AAA development are heavily weighted towards production values and marketing. Production value is music, voice acting, audio fidelity, art-assets...Power is about being able to produce more computations...more things happening, in a higher res, without slowdown. More power allows more production, and since game devs have to compete with each other, they throw as much production in as the system can allow...but it is inherently up to the devs to decide what their production values are.
They could use low quality midi or high definition london symphony orchestra. The power of the system doesn't decide that.

curl-6 said:

This. The middle-ground games were the best.

Think the quote is taken out of context as it more applies to the entire industry.

That said......there are always ways. MS got exclusivity for Ryse from Crytek and DR3 from Capcom (and kept it off PS4), hired Double Helix to make Killer Instinct, bought out the PS versions of Titanfall, they bought/negotiated exclusivity for Sunset Overdrive, hired Playground games to make Forza Horizon 2.

Until MS's own studios come up with the games, they find a way. So what's Sonys excuse in 2014 with just Infamous and Drive Club???? Compensating with hardware boosts from XB/PS multiplats like Watch Dogs and Destiny? Just seems to me that Sony either poorly planned their release schedule or are allready getting complacent because PS4 is winning.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Raziel123 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

No, yeaaaah. Sony is clearly focusing on less 1st party and pushing 3rd party more. This is what MS has been doing for years and criticized for.

Sony is now throwing money at 3rd parties for exclusive advertising, betas, and content. Its cheaper than making games and still gets attention.

I'll post it again

Killzone Shadow Fall
Knack
Infamous Second Sun
Driveclub
LBP3
The Order 1886
Uncharted 4
Guerrilla Games new IP

+ MM, Santa monica, Quantic Dream and Sony bend

they're not cutting on first party, they're keeping it, plus expanding third party. And indies. so it's all growing. Which is why PS4 is going to have the best library in ages.

oh and Sony released 7 AAA first party exclusives in 2013...

2014 seems to be 3, which is normal after such a productive year

Will go back up in 2015-2016

Yawn......every Sony list compared to what actually comes out is surprisingly different.

2013: Killzone SF. Knack is questionably AAA and not even worth mentioning in any list.

2014: Infamous, Drive Club

Thats the reality list. "Guerrilla Games new IP, MM, Santa monica, Quantic Dream and Sony bend".......classic PS fan tactic. Hilarious, listing games that aren't even announced, nevermind with a release date, to artificially inflate your list. Let's see how many of those even make 2015.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Richard_Feynman said:
BraveNewWorld said:

Please stop sharing your thoughts on the internet.

User was moderated for this post- Conegamer

I nearly spat out my drink laughing at this post hahaha