By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: Expect fewer AAA Games

So more AA or A games?

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
I predicted we would see less from Sony this gen. Many of their titles did modest or flopped last gen and consumers are more interested in 3rd party.

MS was criticized for focusing on fewer projects than Sony last gen. But MS's strategy clearly makes sense to Sony now.

I see no sign of Sony having any less of a focus on 1st party as they did last gen. 

They've already released 3 1st party titles (Knack, Killzone, inFamous), have 2 more confirmed (DC, UC4) along with a stand alone DLC title (inFamous:FL), 3 games being funded/co-developed by them (LBP3, The Order, Bloodborn), have confirmed TLG is still in development (lol) and we are still waiting on details from, SSM, MM, GG, GC, Bend and ND's Team 1. There is also QD who i expect Sony will be funding, and PD (though it doesn't take much imagination to guess what their next game will be). 

Pretty amazing considering the the PS3's 2013 line up ^^ Even the Vita got 2 1st party titles.

Honorary mention to Project Siren, the only team confirmed to be working on a fully fledged Vita title (Gravity Rush 2)

Hes right however way some people want to spin it.
Destiny : $500 million
GTAV development cost plus next gen god knows how much.

Back in the ps2 days 500mill could have got you 20 AAA's

Raziel123 said:
Seriously, we're resorting to posting anti-Sony propaganda now?

Huh?  Seems like he's talking about an industry wide thing.  I made this comment to my friend years ago, as I noticed the credits of a video game become longer than even a blockbuster Hollywood movie.  

A few borderline comments in this thread. Next one will be moderated, please keep it civil.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network
DakonBlackblade said:
He didnt say to expect less AAAs and he didnt mention first parties either hes talking about AAAs in general and he is right they are getting less frequent and way more expensive.

um... you do realize him saying that pretty much means to expect less titles right ? And that would be expect less accross the board.

Now, that's a problem, because AAA games are and always have been the primary reason to buy a console -- now more than ever. I mean, I'm not going to buy a console to primarily play games that I can enjoy just as much on a $4-500 laptop, or even a tablet. :

I guess that's why they're buying up so many timed exclusives, but still...

DakonBlackblade said:
Dark Chaos said:
Raziel123 said:
Bloodborne is AAA
I suppose Let It die is debatable but it's most certainly not indie.

Let it Die is AA and so is Bloodborne. Dark Souls 1/2 and Demon Souls are both mid tier games aka AA.

Since when is Dark and Demons souls AA ? The production value of those games are hughe, they sell over 1 million units, they metascore in in the high 80s - low 90s range and the series as a whole have quite a bit of deeply fanactic followers, you just made that up. You can say that Demon Souls was AA when it first came out but the soul series and everything related to it are now maybe AAAA, it got so big its even inspiring other games.

AAA means budget not quality. The Souls games are AA cause of the budget.

Raziel123 said:

oh and Sony released 7 AAA first party exclusives in 2013...

2014 seems to be 3, which is normal after such a productive year

Will go back up in 2015-2016

2012 had a lot of releases but was a weak year. Sony had several heavy hitters in 2013, but they were already focusing on less compared to other years. You can see that here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_published_by_Sony_Computer_Entertainment

2014 looks like it'll be even smaller and based on E3 they had few 1st party titles for 2015. There is a bigger reliance on 3rd party than previous years.

Anyhow, I'm not saying its necessarily a bad thing. I just anticipated Sony focusing on less 1st party titles and this article seems imply I'm correct.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I really want to see a publisher put a cap on what they are gonna spend. I don't see how they think less and less titles is a good thing. If the few publishers who can afford to make AAA games still all start releasing less and less of them where do they think console sales momentum is gonna go?

Not to mention the risk of one of these fewer and fewer yet more expensive AAA games underperforming. This sounds like the perfect set up for industry implosion. 1 or 2 misses will mean a dead developer. Less and Less titles from less and less developers just means this gen is going to have less and less console sales too. Not that I ever saw PS4 scratching the big 100 million.