By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Miyamoto retire before he destroys his legacy?

There no doubt he's revolutionised gaming in more ways than one but lately he's been releasing utter shit that's embarassing both himself and Nintendo. We thought that maybe Wii music was a one time misstep that could be forgiven but this year's E3 just has me utterly baffled.

Giant robot, which first of all looks like garbage level Wiiware, easily forgettable. Watching them stumble as they try to demonstrate how it works just shows how impractical it is. Then there project gaurd which looks any other tower defence game.

Then after all that he gives Star Fox the most halfassed revealed any game has ever gotten before. Even Sony treats their indies better than that. I won't shit on the motion controls (yet) because I don't know how it plays but honestly I won't expect much. It's sad to see such a loved franchise treated like this.

He's put in plenty of good work and I think the company would be safe if he decided to retire, there are plenty of talented guys there.

Thoughts?

Around the Network

Well Miyamoto's robot project is still in that alpha stage, so I don't think we can't make a clear call on whether or not he's lost his touch in making games. No doubt that Miyamoto has been in the sun for a very long time, and is starting to wear off. Whether this game succeeds or not will probably play a huge role on Miyamoto's decision to retire sooner or later.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Miyamotos failures will never overshadow his successes, he can go at it for as long as he wants his Legacy is forever cemented as one of the greatest game designers of our industry and nothing can taint that.

Oh come ons, let's wait until we actually see Starfox U first! If he ends up butchering it like he did Paper Mario, then fine, ban him from ever touching another video game again!

I have to admit his current work just is not what mainstream is going to find cool or want, and I don't think it ever will be again. He doesn't think about gaming that way now. He thinks about simple new control schemes and experiences that don't seem to hold up to the in-depth type of playing we enjoy.

Not the most eloquent/accurate way to put that but I hope my point comes across.
We're either going to accept he only is going to work on these smaller projects or ask him to retire because he's not going to make what we want anymore I think.

Time for someone new at Nintendo to take up the reigns as champion designer, but the people who need to realize that are Nintendo, not Miyamoto. Miyamoto can make the games he likes for as long as he wants. But Nintendo will have to realize his opinion can't be the be all end all of their development freedom.

Around the Network

*sigh* Yeah...

Jesus christ...
because he showed 3 games in pre-alpha stages? A LOT can happen between now and then. Christ almighty save this thread.

In order to destroy his legacy, Miyamoto would probably have to spend the next 30 years making lousy games and also start a war or two. He's the greatest game maker of all time; he's developed, designed, directed, or produced dozens of Nintendo's greatest hits; and he's mentored a legion of young Nintendo developers. Let him make some pet projects as he enters his twilight years. He's earned it.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
In order to destroy his legacy, Miyamoto would probably have to spend the next 30 years making lousy games and also start a war or two. He's the greatest game maker of all time; he's developed, designed, directed, or produced dozens of Nintendo's greatest hits; and he's mentored a legion of young Nintendo developers. Let him make some pet projects as he enters his twilight years. He's earned it.

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

Even if you don't like Giant Robot, remember it is still in early stages of development. I mean, look a Mario 128, it was supposed to be a mario 64 sequel, then turned into a god simulator game, and now it is one of Nintendo's most loved franchises, Pikmin