By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Halo 2 might not hit 1080p - guiz we need to talk about this

Tagged games:

Actually the reason this is is due to the game running a double frame buffer.

Its litteraly running 2 engines simultaneously to allow instant switching between the two. Has nothing to do with the GPU but is taxing on the RAM.

Double frame buffer at 60 fps is taxing as hell.

Around the Network
BenVTrigger said:

Its litteraly running 2 engines simultaneously to allow instant switching between the two. Has nothing to do with the GPU but is taxing on the RAM.

What is the purpose of running 2 engines ? Why not just one engine for the whole game ?

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Was the footage they showed at E3 supposed to be X1 level graphics? I figured it had been in development as a 360 title before they decided to add some gloss on and release it with the other 3 on the X1... it didn't look that much better than Halo 4 to me >.< Maybe the stream compression just made it look worse that it really is.

If i had to guess this is due to the double frame buffer.

Aerys said:
BenVTrigger said:

What is the purpose of running 2 engines ? Why not just one engine for the whole game ?

It runs the entire Halo 2 original engine for physics and the old graphics and is running an entire 2ndary graphics engine with completly different lighting engines, textures, and effects for the modern enhancements.

It double frame buffers both to allow the player to instantly transition between the two on the fly to see the game both ways with zero loading. Its hard as hell on RAM bandwidth.

That sounds insane but would explain why it looked like a 7th gen game. It looks worse than the best 360 titles, just at a higher resolution.

Doesn't matter as long as it fulfills the purpose though.

Around the Network
Zekkyou said:

Was the footage they showed at E3 supposed to be X1 level graphics? I figured it had been in development as a 360 title before they decided to add some gloss on and release it with the other 3 on the X1... it didn't look that much better than Halo 4 to me >.< Maybe the stream compression just made it look worse that it really is.

Running Halo 4 at 1080p and 60fps is more than 5x the BW of the 360 version... but without extra effects, lights, AO, yep it will be hard to tell the difference.

halo 2 has already hit 1080p though

^_~

Hopefully they will do the right thing and delay it until they get it right. It would be terrible if they botch the game people were anticipating the most. I understand the difficulty, and I hope everything will turn out in the end.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Dark_Feanor said:
Zekkyou said:

Running Halo 4 at 1080p and 60fps is more than 5x the BW of the 360 version... but without extra effects, lights, AO, yep it will be hard to tell the difference.

I know it's a huge performance boost, it was just his description of them creating it with "Xbox One level of graphics" that i don't agree with (based the E3 stream footage). Ryse is what i'd consider X1 level graphics, not that.

I'm not complaining though. It's going to be a huge step up from the original ether way, and having it run with both frame buffers is impressive in itself.

MohammadBadir said:
3 and 4 are 1080p but 2 is having a tough time getting there? wut?

2 is being remastered, 3 & 4 are just ported and up ressed