By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Assassin’s Creed: Unity’s has no playable women?

burninmylight said:
SlayerRondo said:
burninmylight said:
SlayerRondo said:
burninmylight said:
This wouldn't be getting nearly as much attention if Ubisoft didn't give such an bad response. I'm not saying it's not true at all; it would add more work. But the response just makes the devs sound lazy and it makes the game sound like it belongs on an assembly line in a factory. And to people like myself, whom already question the talent of the AC staff, that's not doing them any favors.

What would you rather they say then? We have the time to add a female Assassin but we can't be bothered to?

I know it sucks for devs and gamers but they have limits to what they can do with the time and resources they have.

Plus I am kind of tired of people judging games from trailers and not finished builds of the game.

The bolded part is essentially what was said. Did you read the quotes? Hell, it would have been better if the guy said, "We really wanted to add a female playable character but didn't have time because we are on a schedule."

Instead, it came across as if he was saying they merely didn't add a female character only because it would require some extra effort. Again, that's where the game starts sounding less like the devs doing what they can to make the best game possible and more like a game being pushed out to make money ASAP.

And to your last line, who the fuck said I'm judging this game based on trailers? No, I'm judging it based on my experience with previous games in the series. And my experience has ranged from "Finally, I'm consistently having fun!" at best, to "Who the hell in their right mind thought this would be a good idea?" at worst, with "So when does this start getting  better?" as a median. I think I have every right to be wary of this upcoming game and the developer's comments.

Time and effort are the same thing and I don't think many people seeing the game will think these people are half arsing it.

The last line was a general rant and not directed at you. Though it is my fault for putting it their and I apologize. But I still see a difference between wary and accusations of sexism witch the poster of the thread made.

First of all, let me apologize for my harsh words. I'm noticing that my posts have been a bit "aggresive" lately, probably because I've been on here a lot more than normal lately, and I've been conditioned to be a cynical asshole online.  I don't want to turn into one of those guys in constant attack/defense mode.

Anyway, what I was trying to say earlier is that yes, even though time and effort are the same thing, you still have to be careful in what you say to the media, because, as you can see, saying the wrong thing can and will be flipped around and used against you. That's why I never blame Sony, MS and Nintendo for responding to every rumor or question with, "_____ does not comment on rumors and speculation." Because sometimes you can say the most honest thing, yet it either comes across badly, or someone takes it and runs with it in the most negative manner possible, like the article in the OP.

Just to make sure this is clear, I'm not concerned about the inclusion of a female playable character. I just don't like the excuse for it. Because to me, it just comes across as lazy. And my experience with the AC series is that there is a whole lot of lazy that went around.

I think I should also take this chance to apologize for my overly accusatory comments as I too have a tendancy to view critique's in an overly negative light and make rushed assumptions about what people think. Sometimes in comments sections I forget that I am responding to multiple people and not one individual mass of opinions.

I still think that the Assassin's Creed games, in my opinion show a high level of effort and detail. Where they mess up is focusing to much on the world their creating and not enough on evolving the gameplay mechanics like Assassin's Creed Revalations.

This is the Game of Thrones

Where you either win

or you DIE

Around the Network

Stop the hypocrisy already, a female character would need additional programming?

Are you of your fucking mysoginist mind, putting smaller waist and a bit of breast is that much "additional formatting" so that Ubisoft could pull out such excuse?

goulibouli said:
Stop the hypocrisy already, a female character would need additional programming?

Are you of your fucking mysoginist mind, putting smaller waist and a bit of breast is that much "additional formatting" so that Ubisoft could pull out such excuse?

Don't forget the breast jiggle physics also :P

Thanks jlmurph!

Good decision by Ubi, women ruin everything except for sex.

Because this takes place in 1790s France and clearly they are trying to make a painstakingly accurate period piece.

It doesn't make sense to backtrack if they had a woman option in past ACs, that would be questionable.
But they've always taken a one gender per game route with AC, at least as far as I know. So it's not a big deal.

Around the Network

Ubisoft is such an evil corporation! Time to riot!!
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

badgenome said:

Because its setting is the French Revolution, not a kitchen.

Old hat but I still chuckled.
I guess because it's about mass murder, and 70 out of 71 mass murderers in the last 33 years have been male. Just demographic accuracy, ladies.

FFS why does this really matter?

Why isnt there a woman character?
Why isnt there a chinese character?
Why isnt there a arabic character?
Why istn there martians?
Why isnt there playable dogs?
Why isnt there playable cats?
Why cant the dog and cat get married?
Why is the sky blue not other colors?
Why does threads like this sound so stupid and politically correct?

Wow what a misleading article. He didn't say it would double the work on the whole game, just on the characters, which totally makes sense. You can't just alter a mesh and slap it on the same rig and call it a day. They would need to rework a lot of things

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

SlayerRondo said:
Areym said:
Isn't it sexist in and of itelf to have a female character just for the sake of having one?

Anyways, these sexism claims are really starting to annoy me. Feminist are going rampant.

I agree with you 100%

It used to be that a game got flack for portraying to many women in a negative manner.

Now if you are not actively pushing female characters in your games you are a sexist despite already having games with female leads.

Trying to getting more female characters in video games is great but attacking games for not pushing this agenda is bullshit and should be treated as bullshit.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian