By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - That was NOT Link in the Zelda U teaser!

MDMAlliance said:
the_dengle said:
• Wind Waker references abound
no Master Sword
player character is not Link

I hate to even suggest it, but... Valley of the Flood?

But Link does not always use the Master Sword.  
And no one said the character is NOT Link, just that no one explicitly said it was either.

I was simply operating under the assumption that it is not Link for the sake of speculation.

The Master Sword is heavily entwined with the legacy of the hero. The last time Link didn't use it in a 3D title was Majora's Mask. Most 2D games in which he doesn't use it have a similar blade, essentially a substitute. What I'm getting at is that Link is most often shown wielding the Master Sword -- consider the early footage and artwork of Skyward Sword and Link Between Worlds. This "Link" is not using the sword of the hero, so I wonder whether I might conclude that (s?)he is not a hero.

Around the Network

Definitely a girl. It was pretty obvious just from the hair and face.
Looks like a very early teenager.
My first thought would be a character from the past where they had technology, while the game you play is after all of that became myth and legend... sorta ff:tactics-esque.
Which would explain why windwaker link would wear the similar shirt.
Or it could be in reverse, a girl who is mimicking the windwaker link...though I prefer the buried civilization type story better.

the_dengle said:
MDMAlliance said:
the_dengle said:
• Wind Waker references abound
no Master Sword
player character is not Link

I hate to even suggest it, but... Valley of the Flood?

But Link does not always use the Master Sword.  
And no one said the character is NOT Link, just that no one explicitly said it was either.

I was simply operating under the assumption that it is not Link for the sake of speculation.

The Master Sword is heavily entwined with the legacy of the hero. The last time Link didn't use it in a 3D title was Majora's Mask. Most 2D games in which he doesn't use it have a similar blade, essentially a substitute. What I'm getting at is that Link is most often shown wielding the Master Sword -- consider the early footage and artwork of Skyward Sword and Link Between Worlds. This "Link" is not using the sword of the hero, so I wonder whether I might conclude that (s?)he is not a hero.

Well, even then this isn't the traditional kind of reveal for a Zelda game either.  A lot of things are different this time around.  The strange thing is that if we assume it isn't Link, then it's someone that shares a lot of the same attributes as Link.

VanceIX said:
Nicklesbe said:
VanceIX said:

I don't see anything either. He looks plenty masculine, unless there's some crazy Sheik-level transformation gong on here.

Plus, who other than Link has a horse and uses unique weapons?

Zelda for one. Also it's not links horse they are riding. Pleanty masculine for a transvestite maybe with boobs visible from literally every other angle.

That's not Zelda.

I think we're looking too deeply into this. Unless there's magical tranformation going on, I doubt it's not Link. And I even further doubt Nintendo puts a transvestite in an E3 trailer for one of their biggest games.

Not gunna lie, I actually LOL'ed on that one.

Does indeed look like valley of the flood, or at least is being made to look that way.
It follows all the past rumors about it. I'm actually really interested now.

Around the Network
Justagamer said:
jlrx said:
superchunk said:

http://venturebeat.com/2014/06/10/zelda-creator-teases-that-we-didnt-see-link-in-wii-u-trailer/

That trailer for the new Legend of Zelda for the Wii U sure looked great, didn’t it? But what was up with Link? He wasn’t wearing his iconic green tunic or hat. Why did Link look so weird?

“No one explicitly said that that was Link.”

That’s what Legend of Zelda series producer Eiji Aonuma told me when I asked him about Link’s, or whoever it is’, new appearance during an interview at Nintendo’s E3 booth. He said this with a smile and a laugh. Could the bow-wielding hero we just saw not be Link, the star of every game in the series history?

Earlier in the interview, Aonuma told me that he was always looking for ways to shake up the series conventions. We saw this in the recent A Link Between Worlds for the 3DS, which let you explore dungeons in any order you wanted while renting items from a store. But a Zelda game without Link as the main hero? That would be a huge blow to tradition.

So, who is that? The outfit actually looks like the same one Link wore in the beginning of The Wind Waker. Aonuma himself smiled when I brought up this connection. Could this new entry be tied to that universe? Of course, that doesn’t explain why this wouldn’t be Link. Maybe it’s a child of a Link we already played as, like the one from Wind Waker or Skyward Sword. Let the speculation begin.

New character?! Was it a new version of Zelda?

It was a young Ganon, going by the forearm covers.

Mayvbe we learn Ganon is a link who went bad!

I think that would be a pretty cool twist to whole world of Zelda. There's so much they could do with it... I actually hope you're right.

This is the best evidence I have ever seen regarding the issue.

Just because someone thought they are boobs, they think Link is now female?

Because of a redesign, some people think its not even Link?

Seriously, you people need to use reason.

You're acting like speculation and subjectivity are fact because you're blinded by you're fanatism.

They only thing we can tell from this trailer is that its an open world Zelda game, where the main character who looks different than Link prefers bows instead of swords. Remember, this is the MAINLINE Zelda game, not a spin off, not a sequel. What requires more explanation, a redesign or a completly lead change? Occam's Razor:

among competing hypotheses, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected. Other, more complicated solutions may ultimately prove correct, but—in the absence of certainty—the fewer assumptions that are made, the better.

Aonuma literally didn't say anything, he's just being cryptic to build anticipation something that is Nintendo's MO at this point. Just like everything else regarding this generation, it is way to early to call, there is simply not enough information.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

http://mmgn.com/wiiu/news--that-was-link-in-zelda-wii-u-trailer-aonuma

Monument Games, Inc.  Like us on Facebook!

http://www.facebook.com/MonumentGames

Nintendo Netword ID: kanageddaamen

Monument Games, Inc President and Lead Designer
Featured Game: Shiftyx (Android) https://market.android.com/details?id=com.MonumentGames.Shiftyx

Free ad supported version:
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.MonumentGames.ShiftyxFree

Nicklesbe said:
VanceIX said:
Nicklesbe said:
VanceIX said:
Nicklesbe said:
VanceIX said:

I don't see anything either. He looks plenty masculine, unless there's some crazy Sheik-level transformation gong on here.

Plus, who other than Link has a horse and uses unique weapons?

Zelda for one. Also it's not links horse they are riding. Pleanty masculine for a transvestite maybe with boobs visible from literally every other angle.

That's not Zelda.

I think we're looking too deeply into this. Unless there's magical tranformation going on, I doubt it's not Link. And I even further doubt Nintendo puts a transvestite in an E3 trailer for one of their biggest games.

What are you going to say if it turns out to be a girl? At least I'm keeping the option open for it to be either. Apparently you never saw the trailer for Ocarina of time where they infact put in Zelda dressed as a man. It's better to be open to any possibility instead of being irrational and ignoring evidence for either scenario. 

Alright, if that's a female, you can have sig privileges for my account for an entire month. If not, I'll have the same for you. Or are you not confident enough?

I'm perfectly confident it could be either so sure. However lets set some ground rules other than an entire month. Obviously it shouldn't be something that could get either banned. The size should be visible but not so large that it breaks rules. It shouldn't be offensive to either person or other gamers, and it shouldn't be insults toward either person. Just light hearted and fun. If you can agree to those paramiters then sure. If not then no. 

The person is Link, and male, confirmed!

Sig priveleges for me :D

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Link is too brown-haired to be part of the WW family. The entire WW line is exclusively blonde.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

VanceIX said:

The person is Link, and male, confirmed!

Sig priveleges for me :D

Copied from my wall

First I would like you to read this as carefully as possible. I do not want you to jump to any conclusions or have any misunderstandings so please carefully read this until the very end. It does not matter that it was confirmed as link. That was not our bet. You bet that there is no way that link in the video was female. I bet that link in the video would be either male or female, meaning it was up to the player to decide. As seen here http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=6402716

Note that you quoted that later so no text was altered. As it turns out Eiji Aonuma  confirms here and numerous other outlets http://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-2014-the-legend-of-zelda-producer-confirms-the-hero-is-link-is-male/1100-6420451/ That it is completely up to the player to descide what gender Link is. He says " don't want to look too closely at, or give too much information about, who the player character is, because it's supposed to represent the player--him or herself."

"The character's a hero, and represents the player in the game, so I leave that to the player to decide what the characteristics are of the player character, because it's supposed to represent him or herself. If that makes sense!"

Which again is what my bet was. I said "I am perfectly confident it could be either so sure" which was just confirmed. Not male, not female but both and completely up to the player to decide. Then there is the fact that the game isn't even out yet. So anything can still happen. Much like when Ocarina of time was released there was lots of speculation on who sheik was. The original players manual called sheik a male and was treated as a separate character. Then you actually play the game and find out that sheik is really a female and is actually zelda. Look it up, a lot of speculation at the time about it. Now years later Sheik is widely known as female. So this discussion shouldn't even be happening until the game is released.

So I want you to understand you did not win the bet for two important reasons. 1. The bet isn't actually over until the game is released. So far you have seriously jumped the gun, confused what the bet was actually about, and ignored what Eiji Aonuma said. 2. When you  bet you said "Alright, if that's a female, you can have sig privileges for my account for an entire month." According to Eiji Aonuma it is a female if the player so chooses. My bet was that it could be either. Which was confirmed. So again I don't owe you a thing.

Now that is made crystal clear you need to know I don't care. I just got off a ban for expressing an honest and fair opinion of an over zealous dedicated Xbox fan. Tho I was too crass, offensive, and way off topic so it came off as a flame. I am honestly trying to work on that because I go off on diluted dedicated fans too easily. Even if they deserve it, it is not how things work here and I am trying to adhere to that. So I need to make a penance. So I am going to give you the month. Even tho you do not deserve it for the reasons I stated above. So you name it and I'll change it with the stipulations previously agreed to.   Which means if it breaks any rules or if I find it offensive its a no go. I'm feeling charitable so What is it?

http://www.youtube.com/v/AoOOpLpcF28 http://www.youtube.com/v/CphFZGH5030

All Hail the Jester King. The King is back, and I am still a dirty girl prof ;)