By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - That was NOT Link in the Zelda U teaser!

Nicklesbe said:

I guess you can't read then? "And I don't want to look too closely at, or give too much information about, who the player character is, because it's supposed to represent the player--him or herself."

"The character's a hero, and represents the player in the game, so I leave that to the player to decide what the characteristics are of the player character, because it's supposed to represent him or herself. If that makes sense!" That is not a lie those are his words. read them again. Where in that quotes does he say it is strictly a male? He doesn't he says it is strictly up to the player to descide. He's told that exact thing to every outlet that has asked him. Learn to read, it's not a lie.

No, you can't read. There is no place where he say's that the gender is up to the player, and he specifically refers to Link as a him in the interview discussed in that interview. Link is a dude. It's not "up to the player." It's a guy. Him saying "And I don't want to look too closely at, or give too much information about, who the player character is, because it's supposed to represent the player--him or herself" does not mean that Link's gender is suddenly up for grabs. Never says that Links gender is up to the player. He says his characteristics are. Learn to read. He called Link a him. Link is a him.

EDIT: It literally melts my brain that people are still discussing this after 20 different confirmations.

Around the Network
spemanig said:

No, you can't read. There is no place where he say's that the gender is up to the player, and he specifically refers to Link as a him in the interview discussed in that interview. Link is a dude. It's not "up to the player." It's a guy. Him saying "And I don't want to look too closely at, or give too much information about, who the player character is, because it's supposed to represent the player--him or herself" does not mean that Link's gender is suddenly up for grabs. Never says that Links gender is up to the player. He says his characteristics are. Learn to read. He called Link a him. Link is a him.

I just gave you a direct quote of him saying exactly that. At this point you are just trolling. Even in the quote where his translator misspoke and said him he said the exact same thing. Which is that it is up to the player. Read it. He did not call link a him. His translator said him in a quote in which he said that gender which is a characteristic is completely up to the player. I'm sorry you don't understand that gender falls under the characteristic category. You cannot ignore the context of what he said. I've already proved he said it time and time again. You are just ignoring reality, twisting words and blocking out 90% of what the man said. I've proven it and now all you are doing at this point is flaming and trolling.

http://www.youtube.com/v/AoOOpLpcF28 http://www.youtube.com/v/CphFZGH5030

All Hail the Jester King. The King is back, and I am still a dirty girl prof ;)

Nicklesbe said:

I just gave you a direct quote of him saying exactly that. At this point you are just trolling. Even in the quote where his translator misspoke and said him he said the exact same thing. Which is that it is up to the player. Read it. He did not call link a him. His translator said him in a quote in which he said that gender which is a characteristic is completely up to the player. I'm sorry you don't understand that gender falls under the characteristic category. You cannot ignore the context of what he said. I've already proved he said it time and time again. You are just ignoring reality, twisting words and blocking out 90% of what the man said. I've proven it and now all you are doing at this point is flaming and trolling.

No, you didn't. He did not say that. The translator didn't misspeak. He never said "Link's gender is up to the player." He said "I don't want people to focus on Link's characteristics, because Link represents the player." Stop hearing what you want to hear, because it's not true. Even the link you provided says that Link is a male. You're literally making up stuff.

"It's a rumour," Aonuma said with a chuckle when I asked him about the speculation buzzing around online. "Actually that comment I made jokingly," he said. "It's not that I said that it wasn't Link. It's that I never said that it was Link. It's not really the same thing, but I can understand how it could be taken that way."

"It seems like it has kind of taken off where people are saying 'oh it's a female character' and it just kind of grew. But my intent in saying that [was humour]. You know, you have to show Link when you create a trailer for a Zelda announcement."

"I don't want to define HIM so much that it becomes limiting to the players. I want players to focus on other parts of the trailer and not specifically on the character because the character Link represents, again, the player."

http://mmgn.com/wiiu/news--that-was-link-in-zelda-wii-u-trailer-aonuma

Good day.

Nicklesbe said:

No, you didn't. He did not say that. The translator didn't misspeak. He never said "Link's gender is up to the player." He said "I don't want people to focus on Link's characteristics, because Link represents the player." Stop hearing what you want to hear, because it's not true. Even the link you provided says that Link is a male. You're literally making up stuff.

"It's a rumour," Aonuma said with a chuckle when I asked him about the speculation buzzing around online. "Actually that comment I made jokingly," he said. "It's not that I said that it wasn't Link. It's that I never said that it was Link. It's not really the same thing, but I can understand how it could be taken that way."

"It seems like it has kind of taken off where people are saying 'oh it's a female character' and it just kind of grew. But my intent in saying that [was humour]. You know, you have to show Link when you create a trailer for a Zelda announcement."

"I don't want to define HIM so much that it becomes limiting to the players. I want players to focus on other parts of the trailer and not specifically on the character because the character Link represents, again, the player."

Him is not a "minor thing." It is literally the only thing. Good day.

spemanig said:
Nicklesbe said:

"I don't want to define HIM Link so much that it becomes limiting to the players. I want players to focus on other parts of the trailer and not specifically on the character because the character Link represents, again, the player."

Good day.

Try reading the actual quote instead of reading one word. Also read his quote about the rumor.  The rumor was that the person in the video wasn't Link. Not whether or not link was defined as male or female. If you knew how to read you'd know that the fact that it was link was not under debate. In that same exact quote he says the same thing, which is that link represents the player and its up to the player to decide. He never once said that link was defined as a male, nor did he say link could not be perceived as a female. He said the exact opposite. Again learn to read. It is a minor thing because you are ignoring everything else he is saying. Instead you focus on one mistake made by the translator instead of focusing on the context of not only that quote but every quote by him so far which says exactly the same thing.

Around the Network
Nicklesbe said:

Try reading the actual quote instead of reaing one word. Also read his quote about the rumor was that the character was not link. Not whether or not link was defined as male or female. In that same exact quote he says the same thing. He never once said that link was defined as a male, nor did he say link could be percieved as a female. He said the exact opposite. Again learn to read.

LINK IS HIM!!! You don't get to just cross out the main point supporting that he's a guy. "Him" is literally the only word that matters. HE EXPLICITELY CALLS LINK A GUY. What about the same quote where he says that the rumor has taken off to the point where "people are saying it's a FEMALE character?" That isn't "one word" and he very clearly states that the player being a female character is a rumor that rose becauseof his joke. A rumor. If Link's gender was up to the player, Aonuma would say "Link is not a he or a she, because Link's gender is up to the player." Aonuma literally says the same think about Link being the avatar in every game, and in every game, Link has still been a guy. He's saying that Link is a guy, but don't pay attention to that because this is your adventure through Link's shoes. If Aonuma really cared about "representing the player," there would be no Link, and the "player character" would be customizable. Gamespot clearly says that Aonuma doesn't people to think about Link's gender, which is male, because Link represents the player. He doesn't want the fact that Link is a male to get in the way of the player playing the game as if the player where him. I'm black. Aonuma isn't telling me that "Link is really black for you because he's supposed to represent the characteristics you apply to him and him being black is for you to decide." No, it isn't up to me to decide. Link is fair skinned. Link is male.

I've literally never seen someone so profusely refuse to accept factual evidence. You're literally rotting my mind.

spemanig said:
Nicklesbe said:

Try reading the actual quote instead of reaing one word. Also read his quote about the rumor was that the character was not link. Not whether or not link was defined as male or female. In that same exact quote he says the same thing. He never once said that link was defined as a male, nor did he say link could be percieved as a female. He said the exact opposite. Again learn to read.

LINK IS HIM!!! You don't get to just cross out the main point supporting that he's a guy. "Him" is literally the only word that matters. HE EXPLICITELY CALLS LINK A GUY. What about the same quote where he says that the rumor has taken off to the point where "people are saying it's a FEMALE character?" That isn't "one word" and he very clearly states that the player being a female character is a rumor that rose becauseof his joke. A rumor. If Link's gender was up to the player, Aonuma would say "Link is not a he or a she, because Link's gender is up to the player." Aonuma literally says the same think about Link being the avatar in every game, and in every game, Link has still been a guy. He's saying that Link is a guy, but don't pay attention to that because this is your adventure through Link's shoes. If Aonuma really cared about "representing the player," there would be no Link, and the "player character" would be customizable. Gamespot clearly says that Aonuma doesn't people to think about Link's gender, which is male, because Link represents the player. He doesn't want the fact that Link is a male to get in the way of the player playing the game as if the player where him. I'm black. Aonuma isn't telling me that "Link is really black for you because he's supposed to represent the characteristics you apply to him and him being black is for you to decide." No, it isn't up to me to decide. Link is fair skinned. Link is male.

I've literally never seen someone so profusely refuse to accept factual evidence. You're literally rotting my mind.

The only thing that matters is the context of what he was saying. He said very clearly that the character not being link was a rumor. All he said about being female was that many people thought it was a female and the rumor took off from there. He never once said it wasn't Nor did he say definitively that it was male. What he did say definitively several times was that it was entirely up to the player to decide. This fact that you keep continually ignoring. No he doesn't say the same thing every time. In the past he he definitively claimed link as male. After all this is the first time there has been any confusion over the fact and he said clearly several times that it was intentional because he wants the player to decide. What about that is so hard to understand? I've actually accepted all the evidence. You on the other hand blatantly ignore all the evidence and focus on one word that doesn't show up in any other interview. You are rotting your own mind by refusing ro accept reality and ignoring the facts in front of you. Again read this http://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-2014-the-legend-of-zelda-producer-confirms-the-hero-is-link-is-male/1100-6420451/ How many times do you need to be proven wrong? Are you just going to keep flaming with nonsense? Or are you going to actually read what the man said for once and accept the fact that links gender is up to the player to decide as the man has said time and time again?

Nicklesbe said:

The only thing that matters is the context of what he was saying. He said very clearly that the character not being link was a rumor. All he said about being female was that many people thought it was a female and the rumor took off from there. He never once said it wasn't Nor did he say definitively that it was male. What he did say definitively several times was that it was entirely up to the player to decide. This fact that you keep continually ignoring. No he doesn't say the same thing every time. In the past he he definitively claimed link as male. After all this is the first time there has been any confusion over the fact and he said clearly several times that it was intentional because he wants the player to decide. What about that is so hard to understand? I've actually accepted all the evidence. You on the other hand blatantly ignore all the evidence and focus on one word that doesn't show up in any other interview. You are rotting your own mind by refusing ro accept reality and ignoring the facts in front of you. Again read this http://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-2014-the-legend-of-zelda-producer-confirms-the-hero-is-link-is-male/1100-6420451/ How many times do you need to be proven wrong? Are you just going to keep flaming with nonsense? Or are you going to actually read what the man said for once and accept the fact that links gender is up to the player to decide as the man has said time and time again?

Wow. You're a lost cause.

spemanig said:
Nicklesbe said:

Wow. You're a lost cause.

Speak for yourself and please learn to read the actual sources instead of focusing one one mispoken word that doesn't show up in any other interview. Try reading what the man actually said for once. You can't just ignore everything else the man said which contradicts and disproves your point.

Nicklesbe said:

Speak for yourself and please learn to read the actual sources instead of focusing one one mispoken word. Try reading what the man actually said for once.

Please enjoy being the only person on the planet who believes that Link's gender is up to the player, or that Aonuma in any way confirmed that.