By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Stunning Zelda screenshots direct from Nintendo

Blouge said:

>OoT has the ugliest art of a Zelda game I played. Still great game though. Don't get why you think that game looks special

It doesn't look special. I'd describe it as a realistic (subject to N64's limitations), but vibrant. It's reasonable and satisfactory.

I also love LTTP's graphics. While limited by the hardware, it is also charming.

Arguably, cel-shading makes the graphics unecessarily worse by quantizing illumination values and discaring usable bits of information. Maybe that's at the heart of what bothers me. One's ability to perceive curvature of solid objects is damaged. The artsy fartsy aspects of cel-shading simply fail to have value for me.

I think I mentioned it earlier, but the techno-arrows are very worrisome. What happened to the magic/fantasy universe of Hyrule?

I was talking about the 3DS version, the only one I played. 

Around the Network
Conegamer said:
prayformojo said:

As well as seal it's fate amoung hard core gamers. If you care about Nintendo as I do, the last thing you need is more "it's kiddy" BS. 

So? Regardless of what Nintendo announced today these comments would still be flying around. 

What matters to me at least is that the games look amazing; if others disagree then fine but I'll just be playing and enjoying the games.

No offense, but don't you think that's a bit selfish? It's much more important to the health of Nintendo for Zelda to sell really well and get good press (social media and online communities make up half of a games success these day. Just look at Titanfall for example) than it is to create a game that a small fanbase is going to enjoy.

prayformojo said:
Conegamer said:
prayformojo said:

As well as seal it's fate amoung hard core gamers. If you care about Nintendo as I do, the last thing you need is more "it's kiddy" BS. 

So? Regardless of what Nintendo announced today these comments would still be flying around. 

What matters to me at least is that the games look amazing; if others disagree then fine but I'll just be playing and enjoying the games.

No offense, but don't you think that's a bit selfish? It's much more important to the health of Nintendo for Zelda to sell really well and get good press (social media and online communities make up half of a games success these day. Just look at Titanfall for example) than it is to create a game that a small fanbase is going to enjoy.

So far, the media reception has been more than positive. So, please, tell me who are the selfish ones?

prayformojo said:
Conegamer said:
prayformojo said:

Which Zelda game hasn't had these things? I guess the DS titles didn't have the high reviews that other titles had, but both WW and SS were highly acclaimed by the video game media. Hell, almost too much so for the case of SS, in my opinion. This is obviously a huge transition for the Zelda series. To simplify things to that of art style really shows a lack of knowledge of what sells Zelda games and why people buy them. If Nintendo succeeds in bringing an Open-World 3d Zelda game with innovative gameplay mechanics to the forefront, the media will eat it up. If the media could adore SS's 480p jaggy picture, certainly they can swallow a far more excellent (as far as visuals are concerned) game. 

Hynad said:
prayformojo said:
Conegamer said:
prayformojo said:

So far, the media reception has been more than positive. So, please, tell me who are the selfish ones?

The media was also calling Titanfall the second coming. How did that work out? The most important thing isn't the media coverage. It's the core gamer which makes up the majority of this industry. There aren't enough Nintendo fans in the world and the press are even smaller in number. If the game is great, but it's looks deemed "kiddy" or too childish (hello WW) by the core gamer, you can kiss sales goodbye.

I don't know why Nintendo can't seem to grasp this simple concept. It's not just enough to create a great game. You also have to make sure said game is wearing the right clothes and presenting the right image.

Around the Network
prayformojo said:
Hynad said:
prayformojo said:
Conegamer said:
prayformojo said:

The media was also calling Titanfall the second coming. How did that work out? The most important thing isn't the media coverage. It's the core gamer which makes up the majority of this industry. There aren't enough Nintendo fans in the world and the press are even smaller in number. If the game is great, but it's looks deemed "kiddy" or too childish (hello WW) by the core gamer, you can kiss sales goodbye.

I don't know why Nintendo can't seem to grasp this simple concept. It's not just enough to create a great game. You also have to make sure said game is wearing the right clothes and presenting the right image.

What? Wind Waker > Skyward Sword with a 22mil userbase vs a 100mil userbase. WW HD (a remake) sold over 1.2mil already and will hit 2mil lifetime. Look at Paper Mario, that looks like Kiddy BS but that not only sold great, its (the first 2) are some of the best games ever made.

This artstyle is perfect for LoZ U. I didn't like the cartoony of WW, but if it plays well who CARES (Which it did)!

Nowadays its Graphics+1080p/60fps= Best Game :-/   I really hate this topic. There are plenty of weird looking/etc games that are truly amazing.

Edit: My first comment was for a reply for your "or too childish (hello WW) by the core gamer, you can kiss sales goodbye". WW sold very well, if it did bad it would of sold less than 2mil. Look at A Link Between Worlds. 2mil+ and counting. 

prayformojo said:
Hynad said:
prayformojo said:

So, as I thought, you're the selfish one.  You're the one asking them to make the game your way. -__-

People around the net are praising the the art style. It looks like anime, without looking kiddy. The only complaint about Wind Waker's graphics was that it looked kiddy (cartoon instead of anime). Something that can't be said of the new game. 

Go on Gaf, for example. You'll see the biggest gaming community backing and praising the new art-style. This probably won't be enough to convince you that your selfish view on this topic isn't shared by the majority. But who knows... I'll be positive and hope it will.