By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Stunning Zelda screenshots direct from Nintendo

sundin13 said:
Dannythegamer said:

The problem is basically that Aonuma can not do a good adventure game with good combat with arcade elements. Aonuma was chosen by Miyamoto, bad choice, let it be said in passing. And this is not my opinion, the sales of the last games has fallen greatly, especially in Japan. The franchise in sales  power to the general public has fallen sufficiently with the latest releases. This is not a theory, it's reality.

a. Sales =/= Quality

b. Yet Aonuma also made the best selling games in the franchise...in fact, Aonuma wasn't even the Director of Skyward Sword which seems to be the main part of your argument. 

Your arguments are bad man...just give it up. You can feel however you want about past Zelda games but don't say that there is no hope for this new one because Aonuma is working on it and don't pretend that you know more about how it will turn out than everybody else. Take your Aonuma hate elsewhere because you really bring nothing to this discussion.

Do you have other criteria to evaluate a game, beyond their sales? Metacritic, GameRankings, ign and gamespot do not count. Games are made with cash, it is a business, if a game can not sell, the game is not a good game, the quality is quantity.

Aonuma is the supervisor of the Zelda franchise, the blame - due to poor sales of Skyward Sword - goes to him, logically. Even if he does not direct a Zelda game, he is still the supervisor of the Zelda franchise (he was showing up at E3 to present the new Zelda, right), the final decisions logically pass through him and Miyamoto.

Around the Network
Dannythegamer said:

Games are made with cash, it is a business, if a game can not sell, the game is not a good game, the quality is quantity.

...well you are clearly not worth talking to. Good day to you and your repeated (and terrible) arguments.

Hynad said:
Dannythegamer said:
Not my opinion, is the opinion of the market, the low sales of Skyward Sword were due on poor artistic decisions and the structure and design ruined the game. In the end, the problems point to Aonuma, he is the supervisor of the Zelda franchise, the blame - due to poor sales of Skyward Sword - goes to him, logically.

On what do you base your claim about the lower sales of SS?

The game also came out on a dying console, where most of the user base had moved on...

Five of development and a large budget for a game with just over 3 million units sold, it is not a good deal. Super Mario Galaxy 2 was not a good deal either. But that game did not cost much, Nintendo took the engine and parts from the first. A good deal is New Super Mario Wii - Cheap to produce and that game sold well.

When people make factual claims that they can't possibly know are true as the basis of their argument (eg "Skyward Sword underperformed because of the art style) then there is no point to arguing with them. They have confused their opinion with fact and no amount of logic or argument will convince them otherwise. They are too emotionally invested.

Everyone with a bit saner standpoint, I think its time to let things recede back under the bridge.

Monument Games, Inc.  Like us on Facebook!

http://www.facebook.com/MonumentGames

Nintendo Netword ID: kanageddaamen

Monument Games, Inc President and Lead Designer
Featured Game: Shiftyx (Android) https://market.android.com/details?id=com.MonumentGames.Shiftyx

Free ad supported version:
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.MonumentGames.ShiftyxFree

Dannythegamer said:
Hynad said:
Dannythegamer said:
Not my opinion, is the opinion of the market, the low sales of Skyward Sword were due on poor artistic decisions and the structure and design ruined the game. In the end, the problems point to Aonuma, he is the supervisor of the Zelda franchise, the blame - due to poor sales of Skyward Sword - goes to him, logically.

The game also came out on a dying console, where most of the user base had moved on...

Five of development and a large budget for a game with just over 3 million units sold, it is not a good deal. Super Mario Galaxy 2 was not a good deal either. But that game did not cost much, Nintendo took the engine and parts from the first. A good deal is New Super Mario Wii - Cheap to produce and that game sold well.

Nearly 4M units (3.75M) is not a poor performance by any stretch. You have a twisted agenda here, and it seriously stinks.

Around the Network

To finish, I love Nintendo, I just do not accept certain decisions of the company. And of course, I became concerned about the Nintendo future, after all Nintendo is my favorite company in gaming.

Hynad said:
Dannythegamer said:
Hynad said:
Dannythegamer said:

Nearly 4M units (3.75M) is not a poor performance by any stretch. You have a twisted agenda here, and it seriously stinks.

Last official date: 3.42M (not 3.75). Link from Nintendo. Have You the latest official sales, I appreciate that you put in the topic. Please.

I can see merit in both sides of the argument, but let me just say I saw the image of Link riding the horse and the cel-shading makes me want to gag. The Zelda OOT style looks considerably more pleasing to my eye.

Edit: I'm not trying to troll, it's just viscerally repulsive. Good thing there are plenty of other great Nintendo games for me this coming year.

Edit 2: the bands of color remind of me palettized PNG compression of an image. An unwanted artifact, a mark of low quality.

Blouge said:

I can see merit in both sides of the argument, but let me just say I saw the image of Link riding the horse and the cel-shading makes me want to gag. The Zelda OOT style looks considerably more pleasing to my eye.

Edit: I'm not trying to troll, it's just viscerally repulsive. Good thing there are plenty of other great Nintendo games for me this coming year.

OoT has the ugliest art of a Zelda game I played. Still great game though. Don't get why you think that game looks special. Hyrule Field in OoT makes me want to barf. ;) 

>OoT has the ugliest art of a Zelda game I played. Still great game though. Don't get why you think that game looks special

It doesn't look special. I'd describe it as a realistic (subject to N64's limitations), but vibrant. It's reasonable and satisfactory.

I also love LTTP's graphics. While limited by the hardware, it is also charming.

Arguably, cel-shading makes the graphics unecessarily worse by quantizing illumination values and discaring usable bits of information. Maybe that's at the heart of what bothers me. One's ability to perceive curvature of solid objects is damaged. The artsy fartsy aspects of cel-shading simply fail to have value for me.

I think I mentioned it earlier, but the techno-arrows are very worrisome. What happened to the magic/fantasy universe of Hyrule?