By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Kinect-less X1 Releases Tomorrow! How Are Pre Orders Stacking Up? Will Sales Go Up Dramatically?

How Much will X1 Sell in June? (5 Weeks) NPD!

Over 300k 85 13.93%

250k-300k 56 9.18%

200k-250k 78 12.79%

150k-200k 106 17.38%

100k-150k 104 17.05%

Under 100k 173 28.36%

Total:602
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
DeadBigfoot21 said:
Why would people pre order when they can walk into the store on the 9th and buy it?
Also i haven't seen any ads on tv about it. Just on gamestop.

The purpose of preorders is to secure a purchase based on anticipated demand. Low preorders mean that anticipated demand is low, i.e. stock issues are not expected. The lack of preorders is not indicative of lack of actual demand however, just that the consumers who would buy it do not expect it to be sold out. The only way we can gauge actual demand is after the fact via sales.

Unfortunately, there is a a correlation with low anticipated demand and hype. Low hype affects how well it is promoted and how well it will sell.

Pre orders dont mean anything. Not everyone pre orders. 

Pre orders for watch dogs were much lower than the actual sales. Pre orders are just the icing on the cake. 

Around the Network
wary-wallaroo said:
shikamaru317 said:
wary-wallaroo said:

The $450 TF bundle was a much better vaue proposition than the Kinectless SKU and it still failed to do anything. The Kinectless SKU won't either, especially with Halo 5 delayed till next year and Gears being years off.

Failed to do anything? It boosted sales by a pretty decent margin the whole time it was available. Also, it's not the same value propostion because not everybody wanted a copy of Titanfall, if you get a free game that you don't want to play, it has no value to you. The Halo Master Chief bundle is replacing Halo 5, I'm sure it'll sell pretty well, especially since it's expected to have some form of multiplayer.

Last I checked, the X1 sold on average less per week in March than in February and the PS4 easily outsold it. So yes, it failed to do anything.

The Halo collection isn't a replacement for Halo 5. It's not a system seller like a mainline Halo would be. HD remasters/remakes have never been, Halo isn't magically an exception. Now, I'm not saying it won't have any effect, but it will be minimal. The Halo delay will let the PS4 dominate the Holidays.

Last time i checked the xbox one outsold the ps4 several times on several weeks and it was still $500. I have been checking the sales every week and i  saw the xbox one selling more. The ps4 sometimes outsold it on several weeks also. It is pretty amazing how the xbox one outsold it even after the higher price tag so that tells me once the new sku rolls out then the xbox will be back on top or very close. 

DeadBigfoot21 said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
DeadBigfoot21 said:
Why would people pre order when they can walk into the store on the 9th and buy it?

The purpose of preorders is to secure a purchase based on anticipated demand. Low preorders mean that anticipated demand is low, i.e. stock issues are not expected. The lack of preorders is not indicative of lack of actual demand however, just that the consumers who would buy it do not expect it to be sold out. The only way we can gauge actual demand is after the fact via sales.

Unfortunately, there is a a correlation with low anticipated demand and hype. Low hype can affects how well it is promoted and how well it will sell.

Pre orders for watch dogs were much lower than the actual sales. Pre orders are just the icing on the cake. 

The purpose of preorders is to secure a purchase based on anticipated demand. Therefore, they represent anticipated demand, which has a correlation with hype.  If someone doesn't preorder that means that either A) they do not anticipated demand > stock or B) any possible stock issues aren't enough to warrant a purchase at that time.

I don't understand how anyone could anticipate a substantial increase in sales without stock issues especially considering the fact that this is only at one vendor for now and this change is quite recent.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

JWeinCom said:
At this price without the Kinect, what do we have besides a less powerful PS4?

Exactly. It's a much weaker value than the PS4 is. It's even a worse value than the Xbox One with two games bundled for $500 (which I heard is coming up soon).

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
DeadBigfoot21 said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
DeadBigfoot21 said:

Unfortunately, there is a a correlation with low anticipated demand and hype. Low hype can affects how well it is promoted and how well it will sell.

The purpose of preorders is to secure a purchase based on anticipated demand. Therefore, they represent anticipated demand

If someone doesn't pre order then that means there is no demand? 

dat logic...

Also that does not answer my question: Why would someone pre order when they can walk into the store and buy it? 

This isn't a launch of a new console. 

Around the Network
DeadBigfoot21 said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

The purpose of preorders is to secure a purchase based on anticipated demand. Therefore, they represent anticipated demand

dat logic...

Also that does not answer my question: Why would someone pre order when they can walk into the store and buy it? 

anticipated demand =/= actual demand

The beauty of adjectives.

The former is both theoretical and subjective. The latter is factual and objective.

E.G someone anticipates the apple(the fruit) demand tommorow to be $800000032, today the actual apple(the fruit) demand is $0.30

source

Furthermore, new bundles are preordered all the time. I'm completely unaware of what the preorders actually are. Based on whether or not they are avaliable, then following if the relative amount, we can surmize what the average anticipated demand is. This does not tell us how much it will sell directly however.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

^^ That does not answer my question but ok w/e

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
DeadBigfoot21 said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

dat logic...

This does not tell us how much it will sell directly however.

That is exactly what i was trying to say. 

Pre orders don't equal the final sale. 

Bundles traditionally have preorders, at least official bundles. It depend on whether or not gamestop is actaully taking preorders. I think its foolish to not expect supply issues if you expect sales increase. The new sku isn't just old XB1 bundles repurposed. Even the MK8 bundle is having stock issues with gamestop. Its a matter of hype annd supply

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

Bundles traditionally have preorders, at least official bundles. It depend on whether or not gamestop is actaully taking preorders. I think its foolish to not expect supply issues if you expect sales increase. The new sku isn't just old XB1 bundles repurposed. Even the MK8 bundle is having stock issues with gamestop. Its a matter of hype annd supply

and advertising