By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I feel like Nintendo is in big trouble at this point. Here's why:

Captain_Tom said:
novasonic said:
Captain_Tom said:
novasonic said:
Captain_Tom said:
novasonic said:
I would argue the complete opposite.

- People that say Nintendo's online is 2 generations behind have clearly never touched a WiiU. While it's not as good as the other 8th gen consoles, it's still better than any of the 7th gen console.
- For the 8th gen, Nintendo is currently sitting at close to 50million units sold. More than double all other 8th gen consoles combined. A year head start? Yes. But, 50 million will not be caught any time soon.
- For every 3rd party game that skips Nintendo, they get another 3rd or 1st party exclusive to make up for it.
- The 3DS is the only handheld dedicated gaming machine to survive the mobile surge.
- Mario Kart 8 has shown that the WiiU still has some fight left in it. We wont see a new Nintendo home console until late 2017.

How so?  Do enlighten us.  Also "Survive" would be the exact word I would use for the 3DS.  Although your kidding yourself if you think the next one will do as well...

Hows about you give me a few valid reasons to explain how the WiiU's online services are on par with 6th gen consoles before I tell you why it's not. Because "That's what I believe without ever trying it." is just trolling. The handheld market is shrinking, but it's not going to disappear. There's only room for one dedicated handheld console in the market now, and I think it's pretty clear who's going to take that spot.

Well my psp had 32 player games with dedicated servers, a unified online account that let me download stuff on multiple systems, and most games had voice chat.  He'll I'm pretty sure the original xbox had all of these features too.  So now your turn bud.  Didn't expect me to have a well thought out response?

OK, so.. the PSP and Xbox had online matches, an account system, and voice chat?

Damn, I guess you're right. The WiiU only has:
- online matches / leaderboards
- account system
- voice chat
- video chat
- automatic game updates while console's off
- automatic firmware updates while console's off
- robust online store with catchy elevator music
- speedy web browser that can be used without closing game software
- exclusive social media service
- upload replay videos to youtube (mario kart 8)
- DLC, demos, trailer... etc etc etc..

Hells, even Pokemon X Y have voice chat.

Is it on par with the other 8th gen consoles? NO
Is it better than any 6th or 7th gen console? YES
Is claiming otherwise blatant trolling? YES

Please don't act like voice chat is standard lol because I know from experience it isn't.  And no, I can't download my stuff on multiple systems.  So what you didn't even answer anything I said.  Maybe more games have voice chat than I thought but still their account system is F'd up and you don't have any online games that really show that the servers are better than the ones on the PS2.  

It doesn't have:

-Trophies

-Save back-ups to the cloud

-Standard accounts accross multiple systems

-Party chat.  I am not even talking about cross-game.   I am talking about private chat rooms with 4-6 people.  FYI: 

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/18/wii-us-baffling-voice-chat-solution-revealed

So these are big features us modern people have grown accustumed to.  You can talk it up all you want, but these were standards last gen that the Wii U is not meeting.  So yeah it competes with the original Xbox...Which is also sold way better than the Wii U lol!

I'm all for a spirited debate, but here is where you cross the line from debating to trolling. Good day Sir.

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Play4Fun said:
Nintendo should listen to their fanbase and not people that want them to try to be like Sony/MS, enivitable leading them to failure.
$400 - $500 console with @100 loss...LOL.

Nintendo needs more Wii-like consoles. Not GC-like consoles.

Great. Now you just need a once in a lifetime idea/concept for a controller every 5 years to make that business model work. Because basically every Nintendo console is a "GameCube" otherwise. That's the whole thing this gen, they tried to sell their new machines on forced novelty (a tablet controller + a 3D display) and have not had anywhere near the same success.

Maybe they can attract the pervert market next time out with a dildo-mote. Blue ocean and all that. 

Wii-like console doesn't mean new controller concept every gen...

Play4Fun said:
Soundwave said:
Play4Fun said:
Nintendo should listen to their fanbase and not people that want them to try to be like Sony/MS, enivitable leading them to failure.

Great. Now you just need a once in a lifetime idea/concept for a controller every 5 years to make that business model work. Because basically every Nintendo console is a "GameCube" otherwise. That's the whole thing this gen, they tried to sell their new machines on forced novelty (a tablet controller + a 3D display) and have not had anywhere near the same success.

Maybe they can attract the pervert market next time out with a dildo-mote. Blue ocean and all that. 

It does mean you need to have some kind of mindblowing new novelty each generation to make up for the fact that you have a console that is probably very underpowered and lacks third party support. 

Which is a tall order to ask of your R&D. It's basically akin to gambling ... you are rolling the dice on some new idea taking off, but if it doesn't, you're pretty much hooped for 5 years at a time, which is a harsh price to pay. 

Ka-pi96 said:
novasonic said:
Captain_Tom said:

Please don't act like voice chat is standard lol because I know from experience it isn't.  And no, I can't download my stuff on multiple systems.  So what you didn't even answer anything I said.  Maybe more games have voice chat than I thought but still their account system is F'd up and you don't have any online games that really show that the servers are better than the ones on the PS2.  

It doesn't have:

-Trophies

-Save back-ups to the cloud

-Standard accounts accross multiple systems

-Party chat.  I am not even talking about cross-game.   I am talking about private chat rooms with 4-6 people.  FYI: 

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/18/wii-us-baffling-voice-chat-solution-revealed

So these are big features us modern people have grown accustumed to.  You can talk it up all you want, but these were standards last gen that the Wii U is not meeting.  So yeah it competes with the original Xbox...Which is also sold way better than the Wii U lol!

I'm all for a spirited debate, but here is where you cross the line from debating to trolling. Good day Sir.

It's not far wrong though. Wii U may be more powerful than the the original Xbox but is still missing plenty of features that are expected as standard from modern day consoles.

The Wii U online is what it is, it's not a technical issue ... the fact is Nintendo is a KIDS FIRST company, I know it's hard for a lot of people to accept that, but it's the truth. They will never embrace online the way Sony/MS do because there are too many problematic issues with kids being targeted by sickos on a kid-centric service. It has nothing to do with their hardware. 

Their brand rep is akin to the Walt Disney of gaming and they're not going to tarnish that with all the pitfalls that can come with online services so they keep it to a minimum. 

Ka-pi96 said:
Soundwave said:

The Wii U online is what it is, it's not a technical issue ... the fact is Nintendo is a KIDS FIRST company, I know it's hard for a lot of people to accept that, but it's the truth. They will never embrace online the way Sony/MS do because there are too many problematic issues with kids being targeted by sickos on a kid-centric service. It has nothing to do with their hardware. 

Their brand rep is akin to the Walt Disney of gaming and they're not going to tarnish that with all the pitfalls that can come with online services so they keep it to a minimum. 

It's not just playing games online though, the whole OS should be better. There are plenty of things that Xbox/PS can do but Nintendo can't that shouldn't really have any kid related problems. For example their online store could easily be improved with more games, downloads on multiple consoles using one account, pre download of games etc.

They could but since online isn't priority for them as it doesn't really vibe with their family friendly image, then they're obviously not going to invest a ton of money into making the online that great. And really who's to say that Nintendo doesn't quite enjoy making you pay double to play VC games on both the 3DS and Wii U? 

The real reason I think they also hold back from too many VC games is not a technical issue at all ... they want people paying full price for their new games, not getting full off lower priced old games. 

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Soundwave said:

They could but since online isn't priority for them as it doesn't really vibe with their family friendly image, then they're obviously not going to invest a ton of money into making the online that great. And really who's to say that Nintendo doesn't quite enjoy making you pay double to play VC games on both the 3DS and Wii U? 

The real reason I think they also hold back from too many VC games is not a technical issue at all ... they want people paying full price for their new games, not getting full off lower priced old games. 

More VC games would be great but they could also go for more retail and indie games as well. Their family friendly image isn't really working for them right now though. Times change, Nintendo needs some change as well. There's no reason they can't still keep their family friendly image while also being more modern and competitive with Microsoft and Sony rather than solely relying on their own demographic.

You guys are definitely more educated on the subject, so I'd be glad to continue the conversation with you.

As far as having cross buy for identicle titles like VC and indie games, I totally agree. They have a unified account system now. You shouldn't be paying twice for the exact same game. If I remember correctly, cross buy is something that Nintendo is working on though. My guess would be it's an issue with the 3DS. There might just not be enough room in the 3DS' internal memory for the larger firmware files needed to code a more complex system like that. The 3DS store is bare bones. I don't like it at all.

I understand why people hate on the 3DS store, but why the WiiU's? I find it to be great. It loads quick, popular and new games are all on the front page, easy to find links to the VC, indie, demo, and digital games sections. A decent search engine, and that catchy music that seems to change every time I'm on there. Most retail releases are there. The VC was lacking at first but they seem to be releasing VC games a lot quicker now. My only complaint would be that there aren't many demos. That would be a choice made by the developers though. Not Nintendo. I personally like the WiiU's store a lot more than the PS3's.

I don't understand why people make such a big deal about having more than one 3DS or WiiU linked to the same account either. It seems like something only a very small percentage of people would need. The majority of people would just use it for stealing games like me and my friends do with PSN..

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m

Soundwave said:
Play4Fun said:
Soundwave said:
Play4Fun said:

It does mean you need to have some kind of mindblowing new novelty each generation to make up for the fact that you have a console that is probably very underpowered and lacks third party support. 

Which is a tall order to ask of your R&D. It's basically akin to gambling ... you are rolling the dice on some new idea taking off, but if it doesn't, you're pretty much hooped for 5 years at a time, which is a harsh price to pay. 

People such as yourself and the OP seem to think that because expensive consoles, that take big losses and have lots of third party support is what works for Sony/MS, that must mean it's what would work for Nintendo as well. Well, it's not.

Third party mature/cinematic/story-driven games don't drive Nintendo console sales and powerful, expensive hardware won't get them the same 3rd party support as MS/Sony, it just gets them financial losses. Trying to cater to the hardcore or third parties won't get Nintendo anywhere.

The requirements for a successful Nintendo console are different than for Sony/MS consoles.

If Nintendo wants to compete with a conventional console then they're going to have to step their game up. The online infrastructure and 3rd party support have to be fixed. They need to erase their kiddy image and market directly to core gamers.

Or they could just throw another curveball like the Wii and hope for the best.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Nintendo has kept having these problems but I believe they didn't take the internet all that serious because of their success without a dedicated network with the Wii. The XB1 proved that games don't always matter (at least in the short term) and I think key third party games would still be reluctant to jump aboard a powerful Nintendo console. They had very little success. Fallout, Elder Scrolls, GTA, and so on compete with Nintendo's own games at the end of the day. Nintendo will likely have to throw big money at them. Its not like they don't have it. They already proved that just because you have the largest installed base console and one of the most successful of all time, it doesn't mean you will get all the best third party games or in their example very little at all.

You mentioned cross-play, it is something that can't be mentioned enough. Nintendo comes off as a major anti-consumer when they make you buy the same copy of a game multiple times with very little (Nintendo Club Points) reward. This is problem that obvioulsy stems from their horrible online infrastructure. They have the best library fit for on the go play and for use of a Wii U controller and TV at home,through a 3DS, and so on.

Nintendo does need a universal online system with one account shared with your handheld and console and is full proof for future systems. It needs (as you said) use its talent to start a new developer to make new mature IPs. It also wouldn't hurt if they make a all in one on the go home console system. If they are going to continue what they have been doing, then its the only thing that I feel they can be forgiven for making another bold but great move since their handheld market has always been strong and now they are uniting their success with it, with their console.

Play4Fun said:

Yeah that is clearly paying off right now lol.