By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Borderlands 2 on Vita - Frame rate is a disaster!

BasilZero said:

The thing is in order for a quality port to be made, quality in development must be placed which I doubt BL2 had - I think it was a rush port just to get the game on the system.

If Sony could do a quality port of GT6 they could of done a quality port of GT on PSP as well. The Vita's selling at a worse rate than the PSP was - they wont give it the time of day for a quality port - it will be more than likely rushed for the reason of being a port.

Maybe the Ratchet and Clank or God of War ports will be OK but something like GT6 I cant see it being a stable port.

Given the push they gave it and even bundling, I'm surprised they didn't do a better job with optimization. That's really my point.

The PSP version of GT could have easily been more robust, Sony purposely released an inferior game with little features. That's what they wanted PSP users to have.

If anything, maybe Sony feels a robust GT on a handheld console might somehow hurt GT's brand. That's is a more valid argument than what you're telling me.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Kresnik said:
Considering stuff like Elder Scrolls/Fallout get released in an absolute state for PS3 in terms of frame-rates, seems odd that Borderlands 2 is attracting such flak. It doesn't even run at a steady 30 on 360/PS3; there wasn't a chance in hell of it doing it on Vita.

There are, however, plenty of people out there who can stomach the poor performance of this, and for them it was worth getting the game out for than not bothering. Portable Borderlands you can play on the go and then copy the save back over to your PS3 when you get back home. It's not a massive market to reach, but it's nice for the people who are in that market.

I'm just impressed by how good the game looks. Seriously, the DF analysis made it look only a minor step down over PS360 to me (except in terms of ground textures, which were scaled back a little further). Maybe they should've chopped away at the graphics a bit more.

Elder Scrolls, Fallout 3, and Borderlands do a pretty decent job at maintaining 30 fps on consoles. They take big dips when a lot of action is going on. To the contrary, we see Borderlands 2 on Vita taking massive dips with nothing really happening.

I agree this may be acceptable to some, but that isn't a good excuse. We see plenty of games getting more flack for less frequent and significant frame dips.

The visuals are fine, less polished than I anticipated but perfectly acceptable. Cutting back more graphics might have been a smart move and got a better reception than a bad frame rate.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:

Not only are they themselves paying to have the most games ported, but all of the ports Sony has had put on the Vita run like crap.  Jak and Daxter, God of War, Sly Cooper Thieves in Time, Borderlands 2, and Epic Mickey 2.  It's really a slap in the face to anyone who's purchased the system.

naruball said:
I've heard quite a few people who played it saying that the frame rate drops are not that frequent and that the game as a whole is a lot of fun. We've seen countless times videos showing that a game was terrible, but they tend to be misleading as they show only one aspect of the game.

For example, DMC was criticized for bad frame rate and I don't remember it affecting my gameplay at all (I think the game is amazing as it is on ps3 - 9.5/10)

Well, I have the vita, ps3, and 360 version of borderlands 2 and the technical issues on the vita version severely hamper the game.  Frame rate issues are very frustrating in a shooter game and they do happen a lot on the vita.  Pretty much every shootout including more than one enemy Drops the framerate to unacceptable levels... 

Still, biggest problem with the vita version is probably the frustrating controls mapped to the unresponsive back touch panel.  I love borderlands 2, but I'm not going to be playing my vita version anymore...

now people should know how good Killzone Mercenary has been made...

Around the Network
gergroy said:
naruball said:
I've heard quite a few people who played it saying that the frame rate drops are not that frequent and that the game as a whole is a lot of fun. We've seen countless times videos showing that a game was terrible, but they tend to be misleading as they show only one aspect of the game.

For example, DMC was criticized for bad frame rate and I don't remember it affecting my gameplay at all (I think the game is amazing as it is on ps3 - 9.5/10)

Well, I have the vita, ps3, and 360 version of borderlands 2 and the technical issues on the vita version severely hamper the game.  Frame rate issues are very frustrating in a shooter game and they do happen a lot on the vita.  Pretty much every shootout including more than one enemy Drops the framerate to unacceptable levels... 

Still, biggest problem with the vita version is probably the frustrating controls mapped to the unresponsive back touch panel.  I love borderlands 2, but I'm not going to be playing my vita version anymore...

Fair enough and thanks for sharing your experience.

20FPS? That's pretty bad, no excuses for it.

that's what happens when you try to port a console game to a handheld, even if the handheld is one generation ahead.
They probably couldn't downgrade it any further or it would've looked like a PS2 game.

I remember the thread where people compared screenshots of the Vita, PS3, 360 and PC version and some said the Vita version would look superior or very very close to the 360 edition...

Mr Puggsly said:

I'm genuinely amazed Sony allowed Borderlands 2 to be released in this condition and as a bundle title. I consider dips in the 20 acceptable, but this is hard to stomach.

In small closed areas it seems to do okay. But in large open areas, its a disaster.

Maybe... just maybe... their resources would have been better used making a Gran Turismo 6 port. Something the Vita library actually needs.

I find your video HIGHLY suspect....... Many Youtube gameplay videos looks to run much smoother that the one that you have here. But in any case, the game sold well on PSN, as do most Vita games, but hey.

There's supposed to be a performance patch coming soon so hopefully that helps. I made it to Sanctuary perfectly fine but now that I know theres a patch coming I'm going to hold off playing until it come out. With a little more polish before release it would have been considered a great port, graphically it looks quite good.

PSN: extremeM

PlayStation Vita Japanese Software Sales (Media Create Physical/ Famitsu Digital)