By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you think we'll see a PS4 price drop at E3?

Price drop?

Yes 38 13.43%

No 220 77.74%

They should increase the price 25 8.83%

Total:283
Fusioncode said:

Now it is a bit unprecedented for a console selling as well as the PS4 to get a price drop this early, but Kaz did say he cares more about marketshare than profit for the system. And the more PS4s they sell the more they make off of software and PS+. There's also the added benefit of kneecapping Microsoft's plan for price parity by releasing the Kinect-less SKU. With a fairly weak exclusive lineup this year, a price drop could be what keeps Sony top dog in the US. 

Thoughts?

true, but they also have a lot of losses that they need to fix.  right now i don't think sony can afford to take a short term loss in hope of long term profitability.  i believe they'll try to drop the price as soon as they can but i don't think they will drop it until they can take at least $50 off and still be profitable after the price-drop.    are they making $50 in profit on every ps4 sold?  last quarters numbers would suggest no.  not yet anyways.

Around the Network

No, they won't reduce the price yet. But they'll definitely think of something to make it a better value than the $400 Xbox One.

Absolutely not. It certainly would put a strong nail in the XBO coffin, but they just got the thing to be profitable, and it's selling well, so I don't think they'll do it. If they do, they're very serious about winning the console war, which I don't think they are. The fans are the ones that make console wars, the big three have all made statements that they support having competition, and often even directly mention that the console wars are unhealthy.

I could totally see that, only for trolling microsoft once again :

"Ps4 is now at 300 dollars/euros for a week, jump in !"

--> Sold out everywhere.

No because that make no sense to an ailing Sony. Hoping for that PS3 price drop though, because my Fat PS3 broke. $160 Ahoa!!!!

Can't we all just get along.If not for yourself, do it for the future.

Around the Network

No chance, but a PS3 price drop is a pretty safe bet.

Fusioncode said:

Now it is a bit unprecedented for a console selling as well as the PS4 to get a price drop this early, but Kaz did say he cares more about marketshare than profit for the system. And the more PS4s they sell the more they make off of software and PS+. There's also the added benefit of kneecapping Microsoft's plan for price parity by releasing the Kinect-less SKU. With a fairly weak exclusive lineup this year, a price drop could be what keeps Sony top dog in the US. 

Thoughts?

I hope so. I hope for a PS3 price drop too, which is more likely. Based on Sony's statement, I think it is possible since they know an XB1 price cut is coming, however, I think they will wait and see if XB1 starts outselling them in the US first.

It doesn't really make sense since they are still close to maxing out their production.
Although I hear they are supposed to bring PS4 production online in Brazil, which would boost global availability.
Maybe they can do that by next holiday season, and do a price drop / game bundle then?
I do take seriously their statement that they take marketshare more seriously than immediate profits,
so I expect such a move at least by next year. It also probably indicates more funding for exclusives.

I doubt it very much.

If they want to counter the xone price cut, they should wait till Oct.-Nov. The holiday + price cut boost would be better than just cutting it now and eat more into xbox sales.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Adameh said:
No.

/thread