By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you think we'll see a PS4 price drop at E3?

Price drop?

Yes 38 13.43%

No 220 77.74%

They should increase the price 25 8.83%

Total:283

No.

Around the Network

No. It's selling perfectly as is with current production rates.

There is absolutely no logical reason to increase production yields in the short term (which would probably require opening production in new factories) so they can sell that inventory under cost, only to cut production back to normal levels once sales have returned to previous levels.

What SCE should and most likely will do is cut the price by $100 to $299 after the first major hardware revision which will be cosmetic (new package/case) in addition to a reduced cost chipset and overall lower BoM. The current hardware revision going through the approval process sounds like a minor change that will be unnoticed by the consumer but should slightly reduce the initial BoM for SCE. Not enough to warrant passing the reduced cost to consumers.

But it's not unreasonable to expect to see this $299 revised PS4 in 2015.

In the meantime, SCE really has no reason to do a minor price cut just to make the PS4 look like a better value than the $399 XB1. Most of the public already sees the $399 PS4 as a better value than the reduced feature $399 XB1.

But we'll see. Once the $399 XB1 hits retail, we'll see how favorable the consumer response is. If it's fairly indifferent, we won't be seeing a PS4 price cut.

Vashyo said:

Only way I would see this happening is if they start selling an economic smaller HDD model for a bit cheaper. As it is theres no point dropping the price since its selling so well.

I would quite like that since I doubt I will ever need 500gb just for games...unless they all install 50gb files, lol.

I kind of hope SCE doesn't do this. It would be a lot like the 20GB PS3, which was a poor seller and was in production for less than a year.

Sure, SCE did the 12GB flash on board, no HDD SKU briefly just to have price parity with the XB360 "Core" "Arcade" but in this instance, it's the XB that is behind in sales and above in price. Different situation. 

500GB is more or less the entry level. Dropping in a 240GB HDD or 320GB HDD isn't going to drop enough off the BoM to justify even a $50 drop off the $399 MSRP. 

If anything, SCE might release a flash memory only, 32-64GB PS4 with a user HDD upgrade available. But this would still be a $349 MSRP SKU, which without the HDD, might be a hard sell given the size of game installs and complete dependency upon local storage.

That would be a bad idea for Sony to alienate the early adopters who paid full price. The console hasn't even been in the market for a full year yet.

No way....

Next year, maybe.

Around the Network

No chance, if the X1's new sku has a major impact then maybe sometime in 2015 they will cut the price, Ps3 price cut would be more likely to happen.

No chance in hell.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Yes 50 price drop Sony can afford it because people are paying for plus

VITA 32 GIG CARD.250 GIG SLIM & 160 GIG PHAT PS3

I think Phil Spencer said it best:

"I don't think Sony is intimidated. Sony is great brand and strong team. Competition is good, they'll have a good E3."

Usually you drop the price of your product to boost sales when it is not selling very well.  The PS4 does not have this problem, and so they have no reason to drop the price, especially this early.

i'd like that so i could by 1 this time next yr. likely, but this isn't the 6th gen, and this isn't the PS2.