By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - All Xbox 360 haters, answer me this question

If I recall, Microsoft had a year where they were the only "next gen" system on the market, it didn't even have PS3 or Wii to run against. By the time PS3 and Wii came into the market, 360 had, according to VGchartz, managed to sell a little under 6 million consoles. In that same time period, PS2 had managed to sell over 13 million consoles.

After that point, Wii had not only matched the 360 sales, but had surpassed total sales in less than a year, despite 360's yearlong lead, and PS3, despite it's major criticism has still sold on par with 360. The only major criticism on the 360 has been the RRoD issue and the scratched disc issue, and that is entirely Microsoft's fault for pushing out the 360 before it was ready.

Heck, I don't even hate 360 or Microsoft, I'm just not about to overlook the problems they've had, nor be realistic about how I judge success. Saying "How can you say it's not successful? Just compare 360 sales to the original Xbox sales!"

Well, okay, lets actually line up the sales... HMMMMMMmmmm.... 360 sold 17 million, in the same amount of time, Xbox sold 13.5 million. So the 360 has only sold a paltry 3.5 million more than its predecessor? That MIGHT imply a success... IF the XBOX had actually been a successful system. Sure, it beat out the gamecube, but only by, again, a scant 3 million.

Heck, congratulations, in the same amount of time, with a yearlong uncontested launch, huge 3rd party support, numerous games that are considered AAA ranked, and a critically acclaimed online service, 360 has managed to sell 6 million more consoles that the gamecube, the worst selling console of the previous generation, and is still 10 million below where the PS2, the best selling console of last gen, was at in the same point of its life. PS3 is at least still tracking roughly on par with the PS2.

So, yeah, I'm sorry, but I'm just not seeing these amazing sources of success that you seem to be pointing to.

madskillz said:
@ Daafactual

Your sig is out of control. I nearly closed the page because I thought it was that 'Hello' ad on the first page.
just one of the many great uses for firefox w/ adblock

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Around the Network
FailureIsNotAnOption said:
NJ5 said:
@Game_boy: Do you realize that you can say the same, if not worse, about Sony with the PS3? They're also subsidizing it with the profits from their other divisions, and they're several billions in the hole already.

Sony is definitely not billions of dollars in the hole! Sony's quarter 1 2008 financial report shows it made $146 million dollar profits,making more profits than Nintendo and xbox combined!So you need to get the facts straight before you post something-dont guess.

Did you actually post that? I hope that was sarcasm because that entire post is wrong.

pippin said:
I can't believe you guys!You don't like Microsoft ways?What else am i going to hear?You speak about Sony just like it is a charity foundation!!Yes, Sony makes consoles for our joy and pleasure only!That's the reason they included blue-ray driver in PS3 without giving us the choice to decide if we want it and used all of Ps2 fans like sheeps just for winning the HD format war?All you Sony fans are OK with this?This is capitalism my friends.It's ridiculous to blame a company about its ways and in the same time defend another one which follows the same practises!I think you're trying to create reasons to hate Microsoft from nothing.All that matters is games and though i was a PS2 supporter i would have been blind if i couldn't see that 360 has the best software.Just imagine what the situation would be if 360 was called PS3 at the time it was released.The sales would have been double(at least..).

@ pippin -Do you own a ps2 or a ps3?The format war was won by blu ray because of companies going exclusively to that format.Nothing was forced on nobody,it was an added feature to use or noy to use. The price right for a ps3 is a very good deal and in the end-sony made the right decision to include in the ps3 w/blu ray and they wont lose money from that choice and all unsold hd dvd players for xbox will lose more money now since they will have to sell it for little or nothing.Just imagine if xbox and the xbox360 were both still being made-do you think the 360 would be selling as much-i dont think so.But sony is selling both consoles to their consumers,therefore Not forcing ps2 fans to buy a ps3 if they chose not to-on the other hand xbox is forcing their consumers to have no choice but buy a 360 if they want to play anymore new releases from them.

iWillCrushAllWhoDefyMe!                                                                           PN ID- DrivenToExcell -if you want to add me to your friends list tell me where you know me from(vgchartz) www.twitter.com/driventoexcell

Ok 360 did better than the original, that just means MS managed to create a less putrid pile of s*** but a pile of s*** nonetheless.

I wouldn't say the 360 is doing that much better than the original XBox did hardware sales wise from the long perspective. Sure more Japanese gamers were pushed into buying a 360, but this due to some high profile Japanese game developers being contracted by Microsoft to develop some exclusive games, but love for the 360 or Microsoft IMO has nothing to do with this.

It was already expected the 360 would sell faster initially than the original XBox did (the PS2 sold faster than the PSX as well at similar pricing despite PSOne still being available), this due to the original XBox being discontinued and left unsupported for over 2 years.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

xbox haters and ps3 lovers.. they love sony brand... not the games..

Yeah it was more successful than Xbox original. Is that all? or was there something else you wanted to ask?

jrix said:
xbox haters and ps3 lovers.. they love sony brand... not the games..

I love the PS3 technology, I never owned a PS2. But I agree Microsoft brings up a long list of issues they are associated with (monopoly abuse, subpar product quality, etc) I don't like the company for. Sony is a much broader company, overall they produced excellent and sometimes outstanding award winning products.

Various PS2 games I like, especially the God of War series.

Various PS3 games I like, up until now especially Uncharted.

Various 360 games I like, like Kameo.

Various PC games I like, like Civilization IV.

Games are seperate from my views on the hardware product, Windows is IMO a rather sucky OS yet Civ IV rocks, the game would rock just as hard on MacOS or BeOS though. Kameo could easily be done on the PS3, Uncharted however couldn't be done on the 360 in similar quality. IMO the 360 isn't a good product because of mainly noise, disc scratching and RRoD. The hardware specs are far less impressive as compared to the PS3, thus my love for the PS3 but my dislike for the 360 has to do with built quality, not gaming potential.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

People hate Microsoft because they are successful and they entered the gaming industry late so sony fans will obviously hate MS. PS3 would have sold 20m by now.

Let's not forget, MS has done great things too.

"Next Gen Ireland" Irish website has cancelled coverage of the X360 now on due to continuous hardware faults they will no longer report any news on the X360. Well finally someone makes a stance against MS. But can one little guy make a difference?