By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The overlooked POSITIVES of Digital Foundry's MK8 piece

For all the  talk about "59fps" and "720p with no AA", they also said:

"Tracks are alive and bursting with colour and animation backed by an overhauled lighting solution and a smattering of excellent texture-work."

"Thankfully, the lacklustre image quality does little to spoil an otherwise magnificent visual package."

"This is all enhanced by a convincing combination of real-time and pre-baked shadows that even take occluded edges into account. Complimenting this is a vast array of dynamic light sources, such as headlights, item boxes, and special effects, made possible by what we suspect is a shift to a deferred rendering solution. Even in four-player split-screen we see dynamic lighting play a large role in defining the visual design while simultaneously highlighting detail in the texture work. It's really quite a treat for the eyes."

"The world is further enhanced by the same atmospheric glow we loved in Super Mario 3D World, lending an almost hyper-realistic look to the surroundings alongside smaller details including a more robust particle system and plenty of decal textures. You'll notice plumes of smoke encircling the tyres as you jam on the accelerator, dust and debris kicking up when you drive through dirt, and rising bubbles when submerged in water. Skid-marks and other decals also help give persistence to each lap around the track."

"[in 3-4 player splitscreen] the game's core mechanics are processing identically to the 60Hz single-player game, so while there will be an increase in input lag, this doesn't quite feel like the muggy 30fps racing games you may be accustomed to"

"The frequency and pattern of [the 59fps] problem suggests an internal timing issue, potentially related to Mario Kart TV, rather than one of performance."

"Mario Kart 8 is a beautiful game with just a few small flaws that blemish an otherwise faultless presentation."

Around the Network

But, but..... if a game is not 1080p then it can't possibly be considered gorgeous!!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

also it was probably rushed to help Wii U gain sales.

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

But, but... LOOK

Its worse than Superman 64.

You would be smarter to burn $60 than support such trash like this with the $60.

So who's up for some races launch day? =P

This is why cherry-picking negative quotes to fill an agenda is dishonest and lame. It was silly the way people were attacking Digital Foundry when they had more good to say than bad.

Around the Network
kljesta64 said:
also it was probably rushed to help Wii U gain sales.

They should have rushed it to come out during the 2013 holiday season in that case!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

As if they know anything about games. They only know about pixels and frames :P

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I have a feeling that this positive Wii U/MK8 thread will see very little comments before fading into obscurity. :/

ktay95 said:

But, but... LOOK

-Graphics that Look worse than Superman 64-

Its worse than Superman 64.

You would be smarter to burn $60 than support such trash like this with the $60.

So who's up for some races launch day? =P

Idk dude! Are you really that hyped to get owned? LOLL

jk jk, I feel like I am gonna eat my own words after this

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

zippy said:
I have a feeling that this positive Wii U/MK8 thread will see very little comments before fading into obscurity. :/

Like we need umpteen threads about DF/MK8.  The attack & defence forces need to chill.

My 8th gen collection