By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Foundry confirms MK8 720p, No AA

*sigh*

"Fist-sized pixels" 190 35.78%

"But it looks AMAZI... 326 61.39%

Total:516

Or in other words: Digital Foundry confirms Eurogamer full of shit.

Anyone remember this?

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=182665

Turns out skeptics were right all along as the review from Digital Foundry confirms:

Starting from the top, then, there has been a surprising amount of confusion surrounding the resolution of the game with some sources even suggesting a native 1080p presentation. We can finally put that rumour to rest right here and confirm that Mario Kart 8 instead operates at what is effectively the console's standard 1280x720. Of course, considering the quality of the visuals, this can hardly be considered a disappointment especially when other developers are struggling to hit 1080p consistently on more powerful hardware. What is surprising, however, is the complete omission of anti-aliasing in any form. At the very least, Nintendo has previously utilised a basic edge-smoothing algorithm across its Wii U titles and such a feature could have demonstrably improved image quality without a serious performance hit. As it stands, however, we're left with a heavily aliased presentation filled with obvious stair-stepping and pixel-crawling artefacts throughout most scenes. Busier areas can even result in a loss of detail to the point of reducing visibility.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-vs-mario-kart-8

Discuss!

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

Day one purchase!

Unacceptable. They should release this game directly into the nearest trash can. You can't have fun in 720p.

Nobody should have been expecting 1080p. Some fans really jumped the gun after that Eurogamer article.

Footage still looked great.

d21lewis said:
Day one purchase!

You know, it might seem awfully petty but I was really looking forward to getting a Wii U soon. But now this excitement got a heavy damper. I always thought 1080p for a WiiU games sounded pretty fishy but I didn't think it would be impossible. I was looking very much forward to MK8 in crisp 1080p60. I was genuinely excited.

Now reality got me again. 720p without AA just sounds repulsive.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

nothing to discuss.

buy it play it have fun with it.

this is mario kart we are talking about not some 30 mil. big budget real life shoot 'em up rollercoaster.

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

720p 60fps is perfectly fine with me for a mario kart game.

Current Game Machines: 3DS, Wii U, PC.

Currently Playing: X-Com(PC), Smash Bros(WiiU), Banner Saga(PC), Guild Wars 2(PC), Project X Zone(3DS), Luigis Mansion 2(3DS), DayZ(PC)

kljesta64 said:
nothing to discuss.

buy it play it have fun with it.

this is mario kart we are talking about not some 30 mil. big budget real life shoot 'em up rollercoaster.

People sure found alot to discuss when this game was still rumoured to be 1080p, but sure let's just sweep the facts under the rug.

vivster said:
d21lewis said:
Day one purchase!

You know, it might seem awfully petty but I was really looking forward to getting a Wii U soon. But now this excitement got a heavy damper. I always thought 1080p for a WiiU games sounded pretty fishy but I didn't think it would be impossible. I was looking very much forward to MK8 in crisp 1080p60. I was genuinely excited.

Now reality got me again. 720p without AA just sounds repulsive.

I'm with you, I thought the game was supossed to push the Wii U to it's limits... I am seriously thinking on cancelling my pre-order. You can't play a game if your eyes are puking.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Wii U has more 1080p games than PS4 confirmed.