By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Pachter goes berserk. Insults questioner. "scumbag" "Idiot" "bastard"

DerNebel said:
fps_d0minat0r said:
DerNebel said:

Which is also exactly the point Pachter was making, if there's no money in the internet anymore then the content creators will go somewhere else.

The point pachter was making was that there wouldnt be any 'professional' reviews because they wouldnt do it for free.

The impact of this he makes it sound catastrophic, but all that would change is that there would still be plenty of reviews, they just wouldnt be done with the motive of financial gain.

I really dont think having movie quality audio and video matters in a review. The cheap equipment hobbyists buy to make videos just for fun are more than good enough, while their quality of reviews are actually better than those who seek targets to make money and skew their content accordingly e.g. the CPM deals.

Once again, its hard to tell whether someone who looks like a hobbyist is actually making moeny from their video or not, but assuming a world where there was no option to make money, PLENTY of good reviewers would still be out there making quality reviews.

The point is that a ton of quality and content would be lost with the money, your AngryJoes, Rev3s and Totalbiscuits all couldn't do what they do if they didn't make money with this stuff.

Cut out the money and you're left with a very bleak picture and if you actually believe that isn't the case then I can't help but call you naive. Do you really want to go back to the days of teenagers making videos in their bedrooms being the majority of Youtube content? Cause that's what you get when there is no more money involved in the whole business.

Of course there would still be people left that review games but not only would they be far fewer but the reviews would also be of lower quality (as in production value) and we probably would hardly be getting reviews before games actually release.

"Do you really want to go back to the days of teenagers making videos in their bedrooms being the majority of Youtube content"

sorry to inform you, but thats the way it still is, even for popular youtubers with millions of viewers e.g. PewDiePie

I cant help but call you naive if you think the money they get from advertising is going into improving their content because it doesnt. Its not like they buy cameras and software every other week, they most likely have a camera before they even contemplate being a youtuber, and I really doubt most youtubers have a legit copy of professional video editing software, if they are competent enough to make videos, they are probably competent enough to know where/how they can get the software for free. The money they do make from adverts goes towards their everyday purchases and if this stops, some might leave youtube and find other ways to make money, but it still wouldnt be enough people leaving to make a significant difference.

Even if they were not getting paid a single penny, there wouldnt be a difference in content for those who would still remain and make videos for free.. and there would be plenty who would remain. No-one would miss those who leave for longer than a day. If for example Pewdiepie or KSI left, someone else would take their spot and their content in terms of production values would be just as good since they dont do anything which have running costs.

The fixed costs are easily covered, its just a matter of whether they want to spend their time doing something for free or not, and contrary to your belief, there are millions of people who would. In the event advertising vanishes, you will still never have to ask yourself "why cant I find a good review for (insert game here)" The only difference would be that no-one would have to waste bits of their life watching adverts.

Around the Network

Did anyone notice he said you are a scumbag if you forward through the commercials on a DVR?

Sorry, I pay 10 dollars a month to Directv for DVR service, damn fucking straight I forward through a bunch of commercials that hold no meaning at all to me.

DerNebel said:
loy310 said:
Basically, "screw your opinion and give me your wallet, bastard, idiot, scumbag"
Fuck this guy, done with him. The community should ban him allow him to go back to being irrelevant.

Not being willing to support the people that create content on the internet and actually being proud of that is not an opinion that should be validated with a different answer.

Also btw. Pachter is actually one of the few people that does these videos for free, so acting as if he's being greedy here is just hilarious.

he is not doing it for free he likes the attention he enjoys it that is his pay. he is a reptilian who feeds feeds on people watching him.

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

kljesta64 said:
DerNebel said:
loy310 said:
Basically, "screw your opinion and give me your wallet, bastard, idiot, scumbag"
Fuck this guy, done with him. The community should ban him allow him to go back to being irrelevant.

Not being willing to support the people that create content on the internet and actually being proud of that is not an opinion that should be validated with a different answer.

Also btw. Pachter is actually one of the few people that does these videos for free, so acting as if he's being greedy here is just hilarious.

he is not doing it for free he likes the attention he enjoys it that is his pay. he is a reptilian who feeds feeds on people watching him.

If anything patcher is stealing from his employer because he plays games and records his videos in the companies office that employs him and he does it on company time. You can bet your ass he still gets paid by GT. They give him equipment, game consoles, games, and just about anything else he needs to make his videos.

http://www.youtube.com/v/AoOOpLpcF28 http://www.youtube.com/v/CphFZGH5030

All Hail the Jester King. The King is back, and I am still a dirty girl prof ;)

Nicklesbe said:
kljesta64 said:
DerNebel said:
loy310 said:

If anything patcher is stealing from his employer because he plays games and records his videos in the companies office that employs him and he does it on company time. You can bet your ass he still gets paid by GT. They give him equipment, game consoles, games, and just about anything else he needs to make his videos.

also making videos in his office makes him more important/relevant in the eyes of his co-workers and employers.

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

Around the Network
spemanig said:
I think youtube does it right by letting you skip them.

Yeah i never understood why they let you do that.  Does anyone know if the ad revenue still counts even though you skip them? 

fps_d0minat0r said:

"Do you really want to go back to the days of teenagers making videos in their bedrooms being the majority of Youtube content"

sorry to inform you, but thats the way it still is, even for popular youtubers with millions of viewers e.g. PewDiePie

I cant help but call you naive if you think the money they get from advertising is going into improving their content because it doesnt. Its not like they buy cameras and software every other week, they most likely have a camera before they even contemplate being a youtuber, and I really doubt most youtubers have a legit copy of professional video editing software, if they are competent enough to make videos, they are probably competent enough to know where/how they can get the software for free. The money they do make from adverts goes towards their everyday purchases and if this stops, some might leave youtube and find other ways to make money, but it still wouldnt be enough people leaving to make a significant difference.

Even if they were not getting paid a single penny, there wouldnt be a difference in content for those who would still remain and make videos for free.. and there would be plenty who would remain. No-one would miss those who leave for longer than a day. If for example Pewdiepie or KSI left, someone else would take their spot and their content in terms of production values would be just as good since they dont do anything which have running costs.

The fixed costs are easily covered, its just a matter of whether they want to spend their time doing something for free or not, and contrary to your belief, there are millions of people who would. In the event advertising vanishes, you will still never have to ask yourself "why cant I find a good review for (insert game here)" The only difference would be that no-one would have to waste bits of their life watching adverts.

Yeah, there are Youtubers that do way more than PewDiePie in their videos regarding content or production value, what about people like (not like I like them very much) Smosh, EpicMealTime or collegehumor? Those are all dependent on the money of Youtube to make their videos.

And it wouldn't make a significant difference? No-one would miss those who leave for longer than a day? Seriously are you kidding me?

Look at this list and tell me that nobody would miss those people if they'd all be gone within a day.

http://www.statsheep.com/p/Top-Subscribers

You must really be living in some bubblegum world, money is what drives Youtube, take it away and the creativity is going away as well.

DerNebel said:
loy310 said:

I have the feeling that alot of your replies completely miss the point. (no offense let me explain please)

There is no  "either it is annoying ads and professionals or no ads but shit content made by little kids" scenario
There is the also the "professionals doing professional stuff without annoying the consumers because they choose to have reasonable ads that are no obstacle in experiencing the site. Just like a few years ago" path the internet could go.

Its not just black and white there also is alot of actually nice grey and the userbase is completely okay with the grey zone the problem is the industry. It is completely unwilling to even think about a compromise.

Alot of the sites started as a hobby etc. and went from
"I am the proud creator of this site and I still create some of the content on my own and I also participate in the community because I love it its my little baby"
to
"I once created the community but after it got successful I couldn't be bothered to do things anymore so I hired some people that will keep the site going and tell them to implement more and more annoying things that will generate revenue because I dont visit my own site anymore so why would I care if its ad infested."

Sometimes its also:

I also could just have handed the site over to the community e.g my former mods etc.  when I realized that its time for me to move on but I decided against it because I am a dick or because some fucking huge company out there knows that I would sell my soul and my grandma to the devil for some cash so I sold my baby (the website) to a greedy company. ka-ching $$$. And now they spam the site with commercials to get the money back they just spent on my site.

A few years ago the internet was not worse in terms of websites and their content but the user experience was much better and it still worked.  If the actual quality of the sites would increase at the same ratio/speed the ads get annoying/the experience gets worse ....  the whole discussion would actually be debatable but the way it is right now is just wrong.

I mean alot of people started to block ads because their online experience got worse and worse not because they hate ads in general.
Stuff like popups showed up and when you actually want to close the popup it opens another annoying tab in your browser (who the f said you are allowed to ue my browser rofl)
Then you watch a video and somewhere on the site some AXE/Lynx commercial starts  with sound etc (its using flash which is complete shit btw and slows down even new computers)
Then you were suddenly forced to watch 1min commercials of a product you hate anyways before you were able to see the 20 second video you actually wanted to see.
And then there also is intellitext which makes it impossible to move the mouse over text without a billion of little popups showing up OMG!

btw this is intellitext:

It scans the site for words and if a word like "Playstation" is there (or any other word that is either an item or a category in any kind of shop) it automatically links the word to sites like Amazon.com etc. and if you move your mouse over the word "Playstation" by accident a big popup appears. Despite its name its not intelligent at all its just dumb.

Seriously most people would not give a f if the website background image is a nice looking ad. Or if there is a 5 seconds "this video is brought to you by game X or company X.

I even downloaded some of them years ago because I loved the design (quite suitable as nice desktop wallpapers)

Nicklesbe said:
kljesta64 said:

Why would GT give him those things? Do you even know what kinda videos he makes? Also how do you even know that he does those videos during his work time?

JPL78 said:
Did anyone notice he said you are a scumbag if you forward through the commercials on a DVR?

Sorry, I pay 10 dollars a month to Directv for DVR service, damn fucking straight I forward through a bunch of commercials that hold no meaning at all to me.

Another reason why so many shows are cancelled every year. If people DVR everything and watch things online, TV ratings aren't high enough for shows to be renewed and then are cancelled. That is why so many shows are cancelled every year. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54