By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Pachter goes berserk. Insults questioner. "scumbag" "Idiot" "bastard"

forest-spirit said:
I hate AdBlock users, they're almost as bad as those who switch channel when there's a commercial break.

What's the point in switching channel, they all have ads at the same time. I mute or leave to get a snack.

Around the Network
DerNebel said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

"Do you really want to go back to the days of teenagers making videos in their bedrooms being the majority of Youtube content"

sorry to inform you, but thats the way it still is, even for popular youtubers with millions of viewers e.g. PewDiePie

I cant help but call you naive if you think the money they get from advertising is going into improving their content because it doesnt. Its not like they buy cameras and software every other week, they most likely have a camera before they even contemplate being a youtuber, and I really doubt most youtubers have a legit copy of professional video editing software, if they are competent enough to make videos, they are probably competent enough to know where/how they can get the software for free. The money they do make from adverts goes towards their everyday purchases and if this stops, some might leave youtube and find other ways to make money, but it still wouldnt be enough people leaving to make a significant difference.

Even if they were not getting paid a single penny, there wouldnt be a difference in content for those who would still remain and make videos for free.. and there would be plenty who would remain. No-one would miss those who leave for longer than a day. If for example Pewdiepie or KSI left, someone else would take their spot and their content in terms of production values would be just as good since they dont do anything which have running costs.

The fixed costs are easily covered, its just a matter of whether they want to spend their time doing something for free or not, and contrary to your belief, there are millions of people who would. In the event advertising vanishes, you will still never have to ask yourself "why cant I find a good review for (insert game here)" The only difference would be that no-one would have to waste bits of their life watching adverts.

Yeah, there are Youtubers that do way more than PewDiePie in their videos regarding content or production value, what about people like (not like I like them very much) Smosh, EpicMealTime or collegehumor? Those are all dependent on the money of Youtube to make their videos.

And it wouldn't make a significant difference? No-one would miss those who leave for longer than a day? Seriously are you kidding me?

Look at this list and tell me that nobody would miss those people if they'd all be gone within a day.

http://www.statsheep.com/p/Top-Subscribers

You must really be living in some bubblegum world, money is what drives Youtube, take it away and the creativity is going away as well.

lol youre telling me you wouldnt be able to live without some youtubers and then claim I live in a "bubblegum world"? wow.

DerNebel said:
Nicklesbe said:
DerNebel said:

No, they don't. There is a difference between clicks that are monetizable and clicks that aren't, if someone uses Adblock and watches a Youtube video, then the creator gets absolutely nothing.

That's not true. Have you ever made money off a youtube upload? They get paid per video view, whether or not the ad was seen it still goes to view count and they still get money for it.

I have actually tried, yes. And I'm telling you it works like I've told you, Youtubers get paid for monetized views and views are only monetized if there is an ad playing at the beginning, if you use adblock there'll never be ads and thus your clicks will never make the Youtubers money. The only way Youtubers can get paid just by views is if they advertise in the video itself.

Subbable & Patreon are a good way IMO

pokoko said:
The reason for the rise of AdBlock isn't because of ads, it's because of obnoxious advertising practices. If something is only mildly intrusive then people won't spend energy circumventing it. When it gets to downright annoying or even frustrating for the audience, then the fault falls directly on the heads of those who made it so.

Content providers need to look at the situation and understand that the real problem isn't AdBlock, it's intrusive ads that lead to people going out and downloading AdBlock or even avoiding their websites altogether.

I will tell you now that I would not visit VGC if I could not block the ads. Having multiple video ads PLAYING AT THE SAME TIME is fucking annoying. Likewise, I stopped visiting NFL.com because every single time I would check on a score, a video ad would play. VGC is actually the reason I finally went out an downloaded AdBlock in the first place.

Hey, me too. I resisted getting adblock for a long, long time until VGC started crashing Firefox with every other page i clicked through because the flash ads would just overload the browser.

Now i'm a touch addicted to how much more smoothly websites run, which should say something about the majority of ads: clumsy, flash-based garbage that just occupies CPU cycles and very rarely mean anything to me anyway. Right now i'm on a school computer and have one of those idiotic "ridiculously easy trick" ads telling me something about car insurance, something i have no interest in switching.

Now, anilinkz.com is filled with lots of ads, but they, for instance, have a "watch mode" button that will eliminate everything but the background banner. Having made that concession for us, i return the favor by disabling adblock.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

fps_d0minat0r said:
DerNebel said:

Yeah, there are Youtubers that do way more than PewDiePie in their videos regarding content or production value, what about people like (not like I like them very much) Smosh, EpicMealTime or collegehumor? Those are all dependent on the money of Youtube to make their videos.

And it wouldn't make a significant difference? No-one would miss those who leave for longer than a day? Seriously are you kidding me?

Look at this list and tell me that nobody would miss those people if they'd all be gone within a day.

You must really be living in some bubblegum world, money is what drives Youtube, take it away and the creativity is going away as well.

lol youre telling me you wouldnt be able to live without some youtubers and then claim I live in a "bubblegum world"? wow.

Being missed by people =/= People couldn't live without it. People could live without TV, doesn't mean that many wouldn't miss it.

Around the Network
DerNebel said:
fps_d0minat0r said:
DerNebel said:

Being missed by people =/= People couldn't live without it. People could live without TV, doesn't mean that many wouldn't miss it.

Well you must be really emotionally attached to a youtuber, or losing out financially yourself to think that its not possible for someone else to make a just as good review if they were not getting paid for adverts.

fps_d0minat0r said:
DerNebel said:

Well you must be really emotionally attached to a youtuber, or losing out financially yourself to think that its not possible for someone else to make a just as good review if they were not getting paid for adverts.

You seriously have no idea what you're talking about and I don't even know why you insist on limiting this whole thing on reviews, there is a ton more content on the internet that would be lost if the money would go away.

Pachter is totally right though and if you're stupid enough to be cocky about that topic and be proud of using adblock (which I use as well on my personal laptop, but I don't feel good admitting it) because you think you deserve to get anything for free, then you shouldn't be surprised to get called out.

Also there are already sites that don't show any content unless you disable adblock. The more people get adblock, the higher the risk for other sites to jump on board.

Instead of arguing among each other and calling each other thieves or greedy, why don't we direct the vitriol to the CAUSE of this argument in the first place? The people that demand the most intrusive ads possible. The people that make the 'x' button small or misleading so that the viewer is redirected to their site? I don't mind a banner above or on either side of the page I'm viewing. Heck, even the commercials before a video are fine if they're reasonably brief. But popup video ads and other actively invasive ads are abhorrent.

I see both sides of the argument, but it's incredibly closed minded to say there is a definitive 'right' and 'wrong' side. Malware and Spyware run rampant and calling someone a thief for trying to avoid a virus or view a website in peace is completely unreasonable. Just as it's unreasonable for someone to not whitelist a site with unobtrusive ads so that the content creators can earn money for their work, while keeping content 'free' for the users.

Unfortunately, this seems like a no-win situation anyone. For the content creators, they lose revenue and for the adblockers, I could eventually see those content creators forced into doing product placements within their own works or forcing subscription fees, which is far more annoying than a banner ad.

DerNebel said:
fps_d0minat0r said:
DerNebel said:

You seriously have no idea what you're talking about and I don't even know why you insist on limiting this whole thing on reviews, there is a ton more content on the internet that would be lost if the money would go away.

Except for the fact that it wouldn't go away. You keep this wrong mindset that there aren't other ways to monetize and profit on the internet. You also forget that the internet lived a long long time before Ads which tells me you probably don't have a whole lot of experience or memory of pre-ad internet. It's a ridiculous notion especially when you look at the darknet(which is 90% of the internet that most people don't have access to) A lot of it is completely Ad free and generates tons of profits without the need of annoying Ads.

http://www.youtube.com/v/AoOOpLpcF28 http://www.youtube.com/v/CphFZGH5030

All Hail the Jester King. The King is back, and I am still a dirty girl prof ;)