By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Pachter goes berserk. Insults questioner. "scumbag" "Idiot" "bastard"

PDF said:
Nicklesbe said:
PDF said:
Nicklesbe said:

They would give him those things because he generates profits for them and it's in his contract. I do know his videos as i watch them all the time on GT. I know his work and I highly respect him. I know those videos are done during work time because there is a giant window behind him overlooking a city. You can also see the sun/sun light many times which gives you an idea of the time of day. it's obviously during business hours. It doesn't matter what day it is because successful businesses run 7 days a week. So if it's day light which it obviously is he is on company property using company time to play games and make videos. So unless his company gets a cut from GT he is stealing from his company. You sure do defend him adamantly, do you know him, work for him, or are you him? 

You do not know that.  He is clearly financially well off, and does not need the small amount of money gametrailers would pay him, nor does he need games from them.  He has openly admitted that many game companies do send him free games, so its even less likely that he needs GT to give him any.  He's also not a game reviewer so, he doesn't need to play a bunch of games to do his videos.

As for playing games while at work.  His job is to cover the stocks of game companies, so you think playing cetain games would probably be smart thing to do.   

It's pretty clear he gets some sort of kick out of his internet fame.  He finds making these videos fun,thats most likely why he does these videos.  He's also clearly become friends with the GT staff and doesn't mind helping them out. 

I do know that because that's how business works in the US. GT isn't going to let him represent them and create content for them without getting him to sign a contract. He is is also a businessman and he is not going to give it away for free. Otherwise he'd be a bad businessman. You even said so you yourself he's admitted he's gotten free games so guess what that is compensation so he said so himself that he got paid.

He gets games from developers and publishers, not from GT.  When he says he works for free for GT, he means free.  He's smart guy, and if he got compensated in anyway he wouldn't have said free.  Unless you are saying he's lying.

He wouldn't have gotten those games without GT and he's already lied about people that use Adblock and DVRs being the scum of the earth. Why would he be so pissed if he didn't have skin in the game? Also he is a businessman and a salesmen, when was the last time they were known for their honesty?

http://www.youtube.com/v/AoOOpLpcF28 http://www.youtube.com/v/CphFZGH5030

All Hail the Jester King. The King is back, and I am still a dirty girl prof ;)

Around the Network
PDF said:
Nicklesbe said:

He gets games from developers and publishers, not from GT.  When he says he works for free for GT, he means free.  He's smart guy, and if he got compensated in anyway he wouldn't have said free.  Unless you are saying he's lying.

He wouldn't have gotten those games without GT and he's already lied about people that use Adblock and DVRs being the scum of the earth. Why would he be so pissed if he didn't have skin in the game? Also he is a businessman and a salesmen, when was the last time they were known for their honesty?

You clearly do not understand what he does.  He gets those games because of his relationships with developers and publishers. It has nothing to do with GT.  He is not a salesman.  He did not lie, he gave a genuine opinion.

Just like he gave a genuine opinion that he does it for free. Even tho GT gave him connections to the developers and publishers and an outlet to create content that gave the same developers and publishers a reason to furnish him with games. Not to mention the fact that he owns stock in GT which is compensation in its own right.

Also don't be mistaken he is a salesmen. He sells opinions, analyses, and analytics. You don't get an MBA without knowing business and all business requires being a good salesmen.

End of Patcher confirmed? Good. Most of the time he is wromg.

patchy has a point tho.

as long as sites control their ads i don't see the problem. 

Around the Network

I use Adblock. But I use it as a security feature. And or for abusive sites. Sites I go to normally I have ads allowed. Because that's the support they need. I use to run a YT channel. I had to give up because I lost a lot money from bad viewership and low income. $8,000 year in buying review items. Then the 8-20 hrs to edit episodes. All while doing schooling and another full time job. VS $1,000 a year... from ad revenue. I had VGC white-listed for a long time. But the ads would eventually totally lock firefox, or lag it. So I had to give up on them.

YT ads work this way. 15-30 second ads can't be skipped. Anything longer can be skipped 5 seconds after it starts. There is also a grace peroid. If you watch a lot of videos after each other. The video ads will not play most of the time. And only the pop up ones over the video will play. Any person who has a ad on the video itself is a YT partner. That's how you tell. YT will not put a ad on your video. Now if you steal content. The company owner can activate ad rev on your video. Which would make you think YT themselves put the ad on your video.

PDF said:
Nicklesbe said:

Just like he gave a genuine opinion that he does it for free. Even tho GT gave him connections to the developers and publishers and an outlet to create content that gave the same developers and publishers a reason to furnish him with games. Not to mention the fact that he owns stock in GT which is compensation in its own right.

GT is not a publicly traded company.  Unless you are talking about Viacom, and thats really digging deep.  I own viacom stock so I guess GT pays me too.  I am not sure how you would even know if he personally has stock in the company or not anyways.

You are right it's not publically traded which means the fact that he was given stock options means he was given compensation. Go ahead ask him on his next show if he owns stock in GT. He will tell you he does. Hes mentioned stocks a few times on his twitter feed. 

JPL78 said:

Wrong. DVR ratings are counted. T.V guide lists the amount of shows watched live and on DVR within 3 days. I've seen several articles over the years claiming DVRs have actually helped certain shows viewership because people are able to watch it on their own schedule so are more likely to be able to follow shows easier.

I guess if you record something and just don't watch it for a long time that might not count but I would assume most people interested in a show watch it pretty quickly like I do.

Ratings that include people watching shows on their DVR within 3 days is called Live+3 and has only begun to gain importance because the networks tried their best to convince the advertisers to accept those ratings a few years ago. But for many years the advertisers didn't really consider Live+3 ratings because people can just skip through adverts.

Live+7 which includes ratings of people who view shows on their DVR within a week are not really considered when calculating advertising rates. Because of declining ratings for all shows every year, networks are trying their best to convince advertisers to now consider a show's Live+7 ratings when calculating rates. It still isn't accepted by advertisers.  

DVR's can increase popularity but they do not necessarily increase Live ratings for shows. This is the most important thing for a show. You'll notice that today shows are no where near as huge as they were in the past. This is because of all the alternate viewing methods available and all that lowers a show's Live ratings, thus lowering advertising rates. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

PDF said:
Nicklesbe said:
PDF said:
Nicklesbe said:

GT is not a publicly traded company.  Unless you are talking about Viacom, and thats really digging deep.  I own viacom stock so I guess GT pays me too.  I am not sure how you would even know if he personally has stock in the company or not anyways.

You are right it's not publically traded which means the fact that he was given stock options means he was given compensation. Go ahead ask him on his next show if he owns stock in GT. He will tell you he does. Hes mentioned stocks a few times on his twitter feed. 

Yeah, I'll pass I don't want to look like an idiot on his show.  Unless you can show me those tweets where he claims to own GT stock you're full of it. 

How would you look like an idiot? You'd be asking a legitimate question. The only way you'd look like an idiot is if I was right. Hell you could use my name and I wouldn't care. If I'm full of it you can easily prove me wrong, but you know I'm not which is why you won't ask him on his show. Also read what I said. I said he talks about stocks a few times on twitter which he does. You can see for yourself https://twitter.com/michaelpachter. 

MoHasanie said:
JPL78 said:

Wrong. DVR ratings are counted. T.V guide lists the amount of shows watched live and on DVR within 3 days. I've seen several articles over the years claiming DVRs have actually helped certain shows viewership because people are able to watch it on their own schedule so are more likely to be able to follow shows easier.

I guess if you record something and just don't watch it for a long time that might not count but I would assume most people interested in a show watch it pretty quickly like I do.

Ratings that include people watching shows on their DVR within 3 days is called Live+3 and has only begun to gain importance because the networks tried their best to convince the advertisers to accept those ratings a few years ago. But for many years the advertisers didn't really consider Live+3 ratings because people can just skip through adverts.

Live+7 which includes ratings of people who view shows on their DVR within a week are not really considered when calculating advertising rates. Because of declining ratings for all shows every year, networks are trying their best to convince advertisers to now consider a show's Live+7 ratings when calculating rates. It still isn't accepted by advertisers.  

DVR's can increase popularity but they do not necessarily increase Live ratings for shows. This is the most important thing for a show. You'll notice that today shows are no where near as huge as they were in the past. This is because of all the alternate viewing methods available and all that lowers a show's Live ratings, thus lowering advertising rates. 

Okay, well I still don't think you should just completely put a networks decision to cancel a show on DVR users. As far as my experience goes most DVR users wouldn't be watching most of what they watch if it wasn't for the ability to record it. So as far as I'm concerned those are just extra viewers the providers wouldn't have otherwise.

BECAUSE of DVR I watch EVERY episode of the shows I like. I'm also able to share those shows with other people who in turn become fans. My parents however who don't use DVR love NCIS and want to watch every episode. But because they get busy, or are at work or just forget, end up missing half the episodes. So the providers can decide if a person not watching at all or watching a few days later is better. I think ultimately the latter is.

Also, this isn't the 80's. Content manufacturers have internet ad revenue, DVD/blu ray sales, on demand, syndication, digital purchases and merchandise to make profits off of.

I'm only being so argumentative because I don't like you basically saying that people like me are the reason shows die. I contribute to the growth of media non-stop throughout my life. More than most people I've known. I never steal anything and am very loyal to the things I like.