By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Pachter goes berserk. Insults questioner. "scumbag" "Idiot" "bastard"

JPL78 said:

Also on the topic of shows being cancelled because people DVR them, another reason DVR helps shows is because it opens up schedules on certain stations more. Look at Breaking Bad, before the last season AMC started showing a few episodes every night at like 3 in the morning. Hardly prime time.

But it allowed people like me who had never followed the show to get caught up and then become a fan of the show and then, in turn, watched the last season as it happened.

You think that hurt their ratings? Give me a break. We live in a busy world, you can't expect everyone to just stop what they are doing and watch a show right then and there. We have hundreds of channels, DVRs allow you to watch multiple shows from the same period when previously you would watch just one. Smart companies like AMC fully embrace DVR usage because it helps their viewership.

Not to mention ad revenue, which does include DVR ratings, is paid to the network whether you watch the commercials or not. Oh my god, I skipped some commercials for financial retirement consultants, cleaning products and boat insurance.... Man I must be destroying the entire economy.

Edit: in terms if people watching online I'm not sure how you are defining that exactly. People stealing everything and downloading it all illegally? Okay, I'll give you that. But you can't honestly put that in the same catagory as paying a cable provider 100 dollars a month and utilizing a DVR to allow you to watch television on your own schedule. As far as people legitimately watching television online they are either paying for episodes on services like iTunes or watching free streams on websites like NBC or Adult Swim. In either of those scenarios the provider is still benefitting.

Well that's how it used to be in the past. People didn't have DVR's and if you missed an episode of something, it was almost impossible to get a chance to watch it until after the season was finished. If two shows were being brodcast at the same time, then you could only watch one. This used to result in TV shows getting huge ratings throughout their seasons. Now its unimaginable to expect shows to get ratings as huge as those in the past with the exception of sporting events and award shows. 

Even ad revenue which includes DVR ratings is not the same as if all those viewers were watching the show live as it aired. 

People streaming includes all those viewers who view episodes online. If they download it ilegally then the network and gets no money. If they view it legally through other methods like Netflix, or Hulu, the network does get money, but its no where near the same as if all those people watched the shows live. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network

i think he is right... and of course, there are ads that are well build n placed and are others that fail at every thing, but we are not talking about implementation, we are talking about the principle.

i like VGChartz approach to ads and i buy my time here with them and i am ok with that.

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

MoHasanie said:

Well that's how it used to be in the past. People didn't have DVR's and if you missed an episode of something, it was almost impossible to get a chance to watch it until after the season was finished. If two shows were being brodcast at the same time, then you could only watch one. This used to result in TV shows getting huge ratings throughout their seasons. Now its unimaginable to expect shows to get ratings as huge as those in the past with the exception of sporting events and award shows. 

Even ad revenue which includes DVR ratings is not the same as if all those viewers were watching the show live as it aired. 

People streaming includes all those viewers who view episodes online. If they download it ilegally then the network and gets no money. If they view it legally through other methods like Netflix, or Hulu, the network does get money, but its no where near the same as if all those people watched the shows live. 

Alright, well I see what you are saying but I still take offense that you consider anyone using DVR as like a plague killing television production.

Times change, they have to adapt. Movie rental died because of digital video. When I order pay per view I don't shed a tear for the death of Blockbuster. I'm still paying for and consuming said programming even if the method of delivery has changed.

I gladly pay for quality content, even on internet. I refuse and reject as many ads as I can, with adblock or through other means. And I don't give a shit about what Pachter or anyone else thinks about it.

People are using Adblock because too many websites are being irresponsible and disrespectful to viewers with their advertising model. Customer service doesn't cease to be relevant just because the entity providing the service is a website.

The ones to blame are those responsable for intrusive advertising model (Like this site) not the people using Adblock in response to that.

Around the Network

Adblock is my Internet condom, it helps me avoid garbage like this.

PDF said:
Nicklesbe said:

How would you look like an idiot? You'd be asking a legitimate question. The only way you'd look like an idiot is if I was right. Hell you could use my name and I wouldn't care. If I'm full of it you can easily prove me wrong, but you know I'm not which is why you won't ask him on his show. Also read what I said. I said he talks about stocks a few times on twitter which he does. You can see for yourself https://twitter.com/michaelpachter. 

Of course he talks about stocks, thats what he is in the business of doing.  That is no indication of owning stock in GT.  I have never seen him to claim he owns any of GT.  You have 0 proof that he does.   I can direct you to a twitter comment where he once again claims to not get paid.  If you are so confident you ask him.

There is plenty of proof. He works with stocks every day, he talks about stocks every day. Why wouldn't he own stock in the channel that hosts his show? His entire career and lifestyle indicates he owns stock. I've already proved he's received compensation when he accepted games from publishers. Games he received directly due to the fact he hosted the show on GT. I can direct you to a tweet where he flat out lied about Viacom selling GT. Sure he tweeted he got bad info later from a disgruntled employee but it doesn't change the fact that he didn't double check before he blasted a blatant lie all over the net as if it was the truth. I've already proved he's gotten compensation and I've proved he's lied before. I already asked him the question http://forums.gametrailers.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1330968&p=38409004#p38409004 because unlike you I'm not afraid of the truth.

http://www.youtube.com/v/AoOOpLpcF28 http://www.youtube.com/v/CphFZGH5030

All Hail the Jester King. The King is back, and I am still a dirty girl prof ;)

Yeah that was an awesome rant by Pachter, which sounds kind of dirty and wrong to say in the same sentence.

JPL78 said:

Okay, well I still don't think you should just completely put a networks decision to cancel a show on DVR users. As far as my experience goes most DVR users wouldn't be watching most of what they watch if it wasn't for the ability to record it. So as far as I'm concerned those are just extra viewers the providers wouldn't have otherwise.

BECAUSE of DVR I watch EVERY episode of the shows I like. I'm also able to share those shows with other people who in turn become fans. My parents however who don't use DVR love NCIS and want to watch every episode. But because they get busy, or are at work or just forget, end up missing half the episodes. So the providers can decide if a person not watching at all or watching a few days later is better. I think ultimately the latter is.

Also, this isn't the 80's. Content manufacturers have internet ad revenue, DVD/blu ray sales, on demand, syndication, digital purchases and merchandise to make profits off of.

I'm only being so argumentative because I don't like you basically saying that people like me are the reason shows die. I contribute to the growth of media non-stop throughout my life. More than most people I've known. I never steal anything and am very loyal to the things I like.

Well DVR viewing isn't a bad thing at all and still makes networks money. In fact, if viewers can't watch something live, the networks are stil happy you are watching it on your DVR. I just hate it when people complain about the shows they like being cancelled, when they themselves watch their shows online or on their DVR weeks late.

Yes, older people mainly watch shows live and rarely use DVR's or watch online. Unfortunately, advertisers don't care at all about anyone not in the 18-49 demographic. NCIS is one of the oldest skewing shows on television. Technically its the most watched scripted show on television but its does above average in the 18-49 demographic and charges above average advertising rates. It had been proven that shows with the highest 18-49 ratings, and more importantnly the highest 18-34 ratings charge the highest advertising rates. You could have NCIS with 18.5 million viewers average this season and around 3.5 million viewers in the 18-49 demographic and Modern Family with 9.9 million viewers but averages around 4.5 million viewers in the 18-49 demo. The rates charged for 30 second ad sports by each show are very different: NCIS charges $160k and Modern Family charges $280k. This proves that only viewers in the the demographic are considered by advertisers. 

Syndication revenue is huge if the show can get good ratings. Most shows don't do well in syndication. More over the production studio gets all the money from syndication. This is fantastic if the network owns the production studio, but sometimes it doesn't. So basically when this happens, the only revenue networks get is the advertising revenue and they pay for everything else. It is fair though because the production studio takes the risk making the show and makes a loss at the beginning. 

DVD sales revenue is very little now. 

JPL78 said:

Alright, well I see what you are saying but I still take offense that you consider anyone using DVR as like a plague killing television production.

Times change, they have to adapt. Movie rental died because of digital video. When I order pay per view I don't shed a tear for the death of Blockbuster. I'm still paying for and consuming said programming even if the method of delivery has changed.

I didn't mean it in a bad way. People that DVR shows aren't stealing anything, but its better for the networks and the future of your favourite shows if you watch your shows live. Well actually it doesn't matter what you or I do, because unless you are a Nielsen family, what you do doesn't affect anything. 

Yes, the TV networks have to adapt now but still they haven't. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

I actually advice to use adblock because it increases performance on older hardware while also being much more convinient

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.