By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - April 2014 NPD Thread!

Shinobi-san said:
Seems like every time NPD results are released, it kills off any positive buzz around X1. X1 generally had a great PR month with the price cut, removal of Kinect and the changes to Live.

Now with NPD releasing the numbers are bad. I've always said that X1 was doing okay in its own right but just lagging behind the PS4. But with 115k units and its looking to have even lower numbers in May. These numbers are bad, no way around that.

I think its obvious now as to why MS reacted as quick as they did with the Kinect removal decision.

Also infamous > Titanfall? That is really crazy. Just shows how the momentum is with PS4 at the moment, even in US.

PS4 not doing gangbusters either...and it seems like supply issues have been resolved. So even though its almost double the units of X1, there's still hope.

MS needs to have a big E3 now, all the pressure is on them. Knowing Sony they probably wont have such a great E3. Not only because they seem to be having issues in their internal studios, but there also might be an element of complacency with things going pretty well for them.

I agree in everything except you saying ps4 is not doing gangbusters. If PS4 sold 200-220k in April is still a good number. You can't compare it with X360 in April 2006 (it sold around 295k if i remember correctly) because PS4 already sold a lot more than X360 during the same timeframe, and when i mean "a lot", i mean A LOT more. And if you compare PS4 to Wii in 2007, well, Wii was a fad of epic proportions that put numbers in its first 2 years that PS4 is not going to beat (but PS4 probably will sell a lot more than Wii after its 4th year selling more lifetime).

April 2014 is a month between Infamous SS launch in March and Watch Dogs launch in May so is normal PS4 slows down a bit. What we will see probably is a better May 2014 than what X360 had in May 2006, and maybe even Wii in May 2007.

And Microsoft...., well, it seems they are the new PS3 in USA this new gen. That wouldn't be that bad if it wasn't for the fact XBO won't sell in the rest of the world like PS3 did, not even close. 

Around the Network

What a slaughter. Now I know why they desperately removed kinect.

cheshirescat said:
eFKac said:
Aerys said:
I want to see ethomas and all his amason stuff to know what he thinks about that, where is he ?

He's on Neogaf, quite happy about the NPD news, said something about Domination

I believe kowenecki said he had been banned here recently as well.

He requested the ban here.

Aerys said:
I want to see ethomas and all his amason stuff to know what he thinks about that, where is he ?

Ethomaz being banned during NPD week is as sure as PS4 winning NPD these days.

Wii FC: 6440 8298 7583 0720   XBOX GT: WICK1978               PSN: its_the_wick   3DS: 1676-3747-7846                                          Nintendo Network: its-the-wick

Systems I've owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, GBColor, N64, Gamecube, PS2, Xbox, GBAdvance, DSlite, PSP, Wii, Xbox360, PS3, 3DS, PSVita, PS4, 3DS XL, Wii U

The best quote I've seen this year:

Angelus said: I'm a moron

Looks like we GREATLY overtracked the xbox one this month

Around the Network
mornelithe said:

No it says on his profile that he got banned for trolling Xbox.

colafitte said:
Shinobi-san said:
Seems like every time NPD results are released, it kills off any positive buzz around X1. X1 generally had a great PR month with the price cut, removal of Kinect and the changes to Live.

Now with NPD releasing the numbers are bad. I've always said that X1 was doing okay in its own right but just lagging behind the PS4. But with 115k units and its looking to have even lower numbers in May. These numbers are bad, no way around that.

I think its obvious now as to why MS reacted as quick as they did with the Kinect removal decision.

Also infamous > Titanfall? That is really crazy. Just shows how the momentum is with PS4 at the moment, even in US.

PS4 not doing gangbusters either...and it seems like supply issues have been resolved. So even though its almost double the units of X1, there's still hope.

MS needs to have a big E3 now, all the pressure is on them. Knowing Sony they probably wont have such a great E3. Not only because they seem to be having issues in their internal studios, but there also might be an element of complacency with things going pretty well for them.

I agree in everything except you saying ps4 is not doing gangbusters. If PS4 sold 200-220k in April is still a good number. You can't compare it with X360 in April 2006 (it sold around 295k if i remember correctly) because PS4 already sold a lot more than X360 during the same timeframe, and when i mean "a lot", i mean A LOT more. And if you compare PS4 to Wii in 2007, well, Wii was a fad of epic proportions that put numbers in its first 2 years that PS4 is not going to beat (but PS4 probably will sell a lot more than Wii after its 4th year selling more lifetime).

April 2014 is a month between Infamous SS launch in March and Watch Dogs launch in May so is normal PS4 slows down a bit. What we will see probably is a better May 2014 than what X360 had in May 2006, and maybe even Wii in May 2007.

And Microsoft...., well, it seems they are the new PS3 in USA this new gen. That wouldn't be that bad if it wasn't for the fact XBO won't sell in the rest of the world like PS3 did, not even close. 

I still think PS4 sales could be better with a more appealing software lineup.

Lets say PS4 launched with Uncharted 4...sales would have been high at launch but we would have seen continued high numbers throughout, provided that Uncharted 4 was a really good game.

Basically the PS4 doesnt have a gears of war yet. Thats what really pushed the 360 in its first year or two.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

RolStoppable said:
TheGoldenBoy said:
mornelithe said:

No it says on his profile that he got banned for trolling Xbox.

That is his way to request a ban.

Really? Guess you learn something new and weird every day.

Current NPD estimate for PS4 is 198k-202k, which is ~1.8:1 ratio.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Shinobi-san said:

I still think PS4 sales could be better with a more appealing software lineup.

Lets say PS4 launched with Uncharted 4...sales would have been high at launch but we would have seen continued high numbers throughout, provided that Uncharted 4 was a really good game.

Basically the PS4 doesnt have a gears of war yet. Thats what really pushed the 360 in its first year or two.

Well, to be fair, Gears of War launched one year after X360 launched, so PS4 still have time to have their own "gears of war", and after reading Ben saying Destiny Preorders for PS4 are really huge, among other big titles (including exclusives) i'm not worry about PS4 software . People need to remember, PS2 didn't have big games either until end 2001 or 2002 and it launched in March 2000 in Japan and Oct-Nov 2000 in USA and Europe. And let's not forget how awful were the first 2 years of PS3 and still sold more than 80m worldwide....

PS4 will sell more than Wii, and less than PS2. That's just fine. The ones who have a problem are Microsoft and Nintendo. Total sales for home consoles will end being like 6th gen.