By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - People have been more satisfied with the Xbox 360 than the PS3 so are less inclined to upgrade - one of Yusuf Mehdi's opinions on sales gap

VanceIX said:
Chris Hu said:
veritaz said:
cmay227 said:
If software sales on the 360 are any indication, then he's right.

360 got outsold by PS3 in software for the past 2 years. It still continues. 

Your forgetting that the 360 is selling a lot more digital games then the PS3 since it has a much bigger library of digital game both full retail, XBLA and indie games.  Minecraft alone sold more then 10 million copies digital on the 360.  Also the PS3 is not going to close that 63.87 million gap in physical software sales anytime soon if ever and on top of that the 360 has a lot more games that are undertracked.

They don't publish digital sales in general, where did you pull that out from? Minecraft I understand, but I don't see how you could possibly know that they are outselling Sony with XBLA and indie games (and Sony is doing much better on the indie front, mind you).

Also, PS3 software sales have pretty much overtaken 360 software sales. Microsoft has nothing left in the tank for the 360 for the next two years, while the PS3 has loads of exclusives coming up.

I guess you never owned a 360 there are a megaton of indie games on the 360 as a matter of fact there are way more indie games available digitally then full retail and XBLA games (and a lot of those can be classified as indie also).  Also I wouldn't call a bunch of JRPG's that already have been released in Japan as loads of exclusives.  Physical software sales for both the 360 and PS3 will drop off very rapidly.  

Around the Network
Azzanation said:

Quality over Qunatity. For me its never who has the most games but who has the best games. Seems like 2014 to 2015 360 is getting more support then PS3 with games like Titanfall/PvZ/Fable Anniversary and more. Its a see saw race. The 360 has been out for 8 years and you just look at the last 3 years? lol 360 had more high lights in its life circle then the PS3.

Feels like the reverse this gen with XBOX ONE has alot more AAAs then the PS4. Both will have games at this E3 but i feel MS has covered more lost ground then Sony with what i am hearing about this coming E3.

It was quality + quantity on PS3, on 360... only 5 quality games it seems against 30 quality games on PS3. There is no comparison possible, the 360 had almost nothing interesting as exclusive since 2010

and not sure if you are serious or just trolling ? PS3 has more than 5 exclusives planned for 2014, 360 has no exclusive games coming, exclusive support on this console is dead since a long time ago

Just open your eyes please.

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Azzanation said:

Quality over Qunatity. For me its never who has the most games but who has the best games. Seems like 2014 to 2015 360 is getting more support then PS3 with games like Titanfall/PvZ/Fable Anniversary and more. Its a see saw race. The 360 has been out for 8 years and you just look at the last 3 years? lol 360 had more high lights in its life circle then the PS3.

Feels like the reverse this gen with XBOX ONE has alot more AAAs then the PS4. Both will have games at this E3 but i feel MS has covered more lost ground then Sony with what i am hearing about this coming E3.

Actually the PS3 has more critically acclaimed AAA titles in its life than the 360 has ^^; No doubt the 360 had a better first few years, but overall the PS3 has ended up ahead.

People of course will have different preference, but non-subjectively the the PS3 is the overall 'winner'. I did a (painful to make) thread on the topic about a year ago if you want a link? :)

Aerys said:
Azzanation said:

It was quality + quantity on PS3, on 360... only 5 quality games it seems against 30 quality games on PS3. There is no comparison possible, the 360 had almost nothing interesting as exclusive since 2010

and not sure if you are serious or just trolling ? PS3 has more than 5 exclusives planned for 2014, 360 has no exclusive games coming, exclusive support on this console is dead since a long time ago

Just open your eyes please.

I don't think it's fair to say the 360 has has "almost nothing interesting" since 2010, but it certainly hasn't had many (as far as AAA titles go anyway).

Aerys said:
Porcupeth said:

XBLA and PSN titles not included on either side... Most of the good XBLA games aren't even exclusive anyway.

This list really puts him and his company to shame.

This is one of the main justified reasons why the gamers bought a PS4 instead of a X1

Does it really put them to shame? The first thing I thought when I saw the pic in the thread is that it's missing a ton of XBLA games that MS brought to 360 owners. Then I remembered the pic is from last gen when indie/downloadable games didn't matter.

Around the Network
VanceIX said:

What, do you think Microsoft is gonna announce that they screwed up? Their sales didn't change, and the internet backlash was huge, if you didn't notice. In this case, I think my butt is a pretty damn reliable source. 

How could they screw up on a temporary promotion? And why would the sales change? Exactly what kind of sales boost are you expecting from a promotion exclusive to MS Store locations? If this were something they were running at Best Buy/Gamestop/Walmarts nationwide, ok. But it was their own store. lol. Also, you do understand the promotion was for both PS3 and 360, yes?

And LOL @ Internet backlash. EA has won the "Worst Company in America" for 2-3 years running now. They sell tons of games. Call of Duty faces craploads of vitriol every single year yet sells tens of millions every year.

You spoke about it in such a factual manner, I simply assumed you were informed on the matter. And I know you think your butt is reliable, people who pull stuff out of their butts always do.

J_Allard said:
Aerys said:
Porcupeth said:

XBLA and PSN titles not included on either side... Most of the good XBLA games aren't even exclusive anyway.

This list really puts him and his company to shame.

This is one of the main justified reasons why the gamers bought a PS4 instead of a X1

Does it really put them to shame? The first thing I thought when I saw the pic in the thread is that it's missing a ton of XBLA games that MS brought to 360 owners. Then I remembered the pic is from last gen when indie/downloadable games didn't matter.

Numbers game matter
You can even think they never played most games in the list,just treat them as console war weapon

It takes balls of steel to say such a thing. He really reached far into his ass to find this little gem.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

VanceIX said:
sales2099 said:
VanceIX said:
Microsoft...

Well, if people hate their PS3s so much, why did their campaign for trading in PS3s for credit towards Xbox Ones fail magnificently?

Well PS3 doesn't have any buzz worthy games  like Titanfall releasing this year. There really is less incentive to keep playing it then X1.

What?

If people had less incentive to play, why didn't they just trade their PS3s in like Microsoft wanted to?

Also, the PS3 easily has the 360 beat in terms of exclusive games. The amound of JRPGs being released now is amazing, and Persona 5 is coming out next year.

Your argument is invalid. 

I could easily argue that this guy's right when it comes to the US. The 360 was, afterall, the #1 console there  last gen. When you beat the Wii, you know you're doing something right.

He's right, especially in North America. 360 sold a LOT last holiday. People truly enjoy it. I think upgrading from such a great console is hard for the general public.