By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SONY results: 3.7m PS3+PS4, 0.7m PSV+PSP. $1.246bn loss FY. GAME $80m loss for year. Expects another $0.5bn loss to March 2015

kowenicki said:
Max King of the Wild said:
Its 2 weeks in at 553m it will probably get close to 800m (because you could probbly consider it close already)

so it will just about break even then.  great.

You should at least be fair and consider this part from the article you posted:

"By my estimates, sharply higher production costs have kept a lid on box office profits for recent Spider-Man movies. But that's also not as big a deal as it might seem. Hollywood makes most of its moola after films leave theaters. High-margin Blu-ray, DVD, and on-demand sales and rentals, as well as merchandising and TV and streaming distribution, usually account for most of the take-home. And in that respect, Spider-Man movies have been a huge winner for Sony over the years."

Around the Network

Sony is just in a reconstruction situation, the only problem is that is taking more time than expected.

Gaming division is going to be way better in the upcoming years with PS4 sales and PS Plus subcriptions than PS2 and the best PS3 years. Music and Pictures divisions are top of their league so nothing to worry. Mobile division didn't make the prediction of last fiscal year because their most anticipating mobile, Xperia Z2 got delayed and is now launching, so probably will compensate this fiscal year.

They're already getting rid of what is not working, but it costs a lot of time and money because Sony is so big. The results of all these actions should show in the next years...maybe 2016.

kowenicki said:
Seece said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=111929899&postcount=280

Wow ... that was an insight ...

Why do you think they havent exited TV yet.  They face enormous costs to exit (including a huge chunk of redundancy pay) and are delaying it for as long as possible.

If they decide to exit TV in say 12 to 18 months then not only is the loss in FY 2014 certain (to march '15), they will also see losses for FY 2015 and FY 2016 too.  It is a mess that they could and should have dealt with years ago.

Approx $8bn in losses due to TV alone so far.  $8bn !

Isn't what they're doing worse? Delaying closing down the T.V. division only means more losses.

Figgycal said:
kowenicki said:
Seece said:

Why do you think they havent exited TV yet.  They face enormous costs to exit (including a huge chunk of redundancy pay) and are delaying it for as long as possible.

If they decide to exit TV in say 12 to 18 months then not only is the loss in FY 2014 certain (to march '15), they will also see losses for FY 2015 and FY 2016 too.  It is a mess that they could and should have dealt with years ago.

Isn't what they're doing worse? Delaying closing down the T.V. division only means more losses.

Eh, it depends.

Say I pay 

$500 In parts

$500 in labor, 

and make $700 in revenue.

I'm losing $300. 

Now say i close down my TV division, but I have to pay $400 in salaries still because of rigid japanese employment law.

Now I'm losing $400.

kowenicki said:
DerNebel said:
kowenicki said:
Max King of the Wild said:
Its 2 weeks in at 553m it will probably get close to 800m (because you could probbly consider it close already)

so it will just about break even then.  great.

You should at least be fair and consider this part from the article you posted:

"By my estimates, sharply higher production costs have kept a lid on box office profits for recent Spider-Man movies. But that's also not as big a deal as it might seem. Hollywood makes most of its moola after films leave theaters. High-margin Blu-ray, DVD, and on-demand sales and rentals, as well as merchandising and TV and streaming distribution, usually account for most of the take-home. And in that respect, Spider-Man movies have been a huge winner for Sony over the years."

Thats my point.  It is later licensing and product merchandising that make the money.

I was merely respoinding to the "lol... its made $500m" comment, which was way off the mark and misleading.

Well, just liscensing...

all the Merchandising rights are owned by marvel.

Sony traded their tie in share for Marvel's box office and DVD share.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=49687

Such a deal may also bring down the 800M to break even quite a bit.  As before marvel was getting a cut of the gate right away.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
Figgycal said:
kowenicki said:
Seece said:

Exactly.  Dammed if they do and dammed if they dont.  Neither is attractive.

I doubt they will close TV section.

They own patents and manufacture LCD screens for other companies.

kowenicki said:

Thats my point.  It is later licensing and product merchandising that make the money.

I was merely respoinding to the "lol... its made $500m" comment, which was way off the mark and misleading.

lol how is stating the fact that spiderman 2 has made hundreds of millions of dollars 2 weeks after release to someone saying its debut wasnt good being misleading lololol

would japanese companies as a whole fair much better worldwide if they had our kind of mobile workforce laws here in the uk,sounds like the japanese govt need to sort their stuff out to help out some of their big corps ,guess its not a vote winner though

Above & Beyond

Kasz216 said:
Figgycal said:
kowenicki said:
Seece said:

Eh, it depends.

Say I pay 

$500 In parts

$500 in labor, 

and make $700 in revenue.

I'm losing $300. 

Now say i close down my TV division, but I have to pay $400 in salaries still because of rigid japanese employment law.

Now I'm losing $400.

I get it now.

If sony want to make those huge ps4 sales beter ramp up production then 110k+ - every week is not alot.

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil