By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: Economics for AAA games 'don't work' on PS Vita

GamechaserBE said:

The economics worked for that game?

Anyway the Vita was nothing more than a waste of time and waste of a lot of money...

If the Vita never existed they could have made/invested/moneyhatted in a new Legend of dragoon, Breath of fire, Dark cloud, Valkyria Chronicles, Star ocean (where is that one?), Ape escape, Wild arms, Grandia for PS4.... than again who cares for those games...Remot play is so much more important :(..

The age of JRPGs on consoles is sadly over, most of what comes out today is either on handheld or really obscure and just too "Anime" for me (as in really bad cliched Anime), only rarely do we still get some gems.

Around the Network

Unless your game is called Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto, or Assassin's Creed, the economics for AAA games don't work anywhere else, either.

DerNebel said:

Tearaway might have been a fantastic game, but it was also likely a financial failure, 

Source for that?  Or do you at least have a development budget for the game and the amount the game sold digitally so we can draw some conclusions?

I have no doubt that Sony would've liked it to perform better, but considering it was developed by 15 people over the course of a couple of years, I'm struggling believing it was as much of a financial failure as something like Killzone, which was developed by an 80 (?) person studio over a few years and sold barely any more copies.  Games like that are probably the reason Sony stopped western development.

GamechaserBE said:

Did you just choose to read those two sentences and ignore the rest of my post?  Because if you did, I'd urge you to go back and read the rest of it before asking questions like that.

Kresnik said:
Nope, they don't.

But what Sony don't seem to realise is that there are at least 3 tiers between AAA and indie, and that's something they've barely tried to tap but really, really should.

Case in point: Tearaway. Neither AAA nor indie. Fantastic game though, one of the best reviewed for the system and a great example of the type of stuff they should be pushing out.

Sadly, it was just a blip on the radar rather than part of an overall shift in development for Vita and thus couldn't do much on its own. Sony should have more of their studios just having 20-or-so person B teams to develop games for the console in that vein.

But no. Remote play and PlayStation Now to the rescue! Vomit.

That's a good point. More AA and A games.

I think that buying Level-5 would be a great investment especially because the studio and its IPs would be perfect for the Vita.

Dark Cloud + Chronicle

Rogue Galaxy

Yo-Kai Watch

Danball Senki

Jeanne d'Arc

White Knight Chronicles

Ni no Kuni

Wonder Flick

Professor Layton

Inazuma Eleven

etc.

Just cause AAA doesn't work, doesn't mean AA doesn't either

Tearaway might not have made any money, but that's cause it's really weird. Just keep the budgets down and make a decent game.

Please....

Or get Square Enix to make me some. KH and Crisis Core were 2 of my favourite PSP games, but what have I got on Vita. I'm playing FFX HD at the moment (and Persona 4 Golden), but there's nothing coming from Sony and BOTH THESE GAMES ARE PS2 REMAKES

Around the Network

So basically, the vita is doomed (On the west at least)

3DS FC :  4339 - 3326 - 7693. Add me :) Nickname Tin

badgenome said:
Unless your game is called Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto, or Assassin's Creed, the economics for AAA games don't work anywhere else, either.

At least Activision and Ubisoft tried their best..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Xenostar said:
The middle fell out of gaming when THQ died, B Level titles barely exist anymore.

I think Koei and Namco are the only publishers with a worldwide presence who still focus on B games, and funnily enough, they also seem to be the only Japanese publishers who aren't facing a crisis.

Kresnik said:
DerNebel said:

Tearaway might have been a fantastic game, but it was also likely a financial failure, 

Source for that?  Or do you at least have a development budget for the game and the amount the game sold digitally so we can draw some conclusions?

I have no doubt that Sony would've liked it to perform better, but considering it was developed by 15 people over the course of a couple of years, I'm struggling believing it was as much of a financial failure as something like Killzone, which was developed by an 80 (?) person studio over a few years and sold barely any more copies.  Games like that are probably the reason Sony stopped western development.

No, no source, I am honestly not too familiar with the development process of that game, I just assumed that it Sony couldn't have been to happy with the game's performance, since I think it was supposed to be the Vitas big holiday title, but if it really was developed by only 15 people then it probably broke even.

Anyhow, I'm still sure that Tearway also had something to do with Sonys decision to not develop any more Vita games in Europe/US, after all they probably think that even those 15 people are way more useful developing on PS4 than on the Vita.

DerNebel said:
GamechaserBE said:

Anyway the Vita was nothing more than a waste of time and waste of a lot of money...

If the Vita never existed they could have made/invested/moneyhatted in a new Legend of dragoon, Breath of fire, Dark cloud, Valkyria Chronicles, Star ocean (where is that one?), Ape escape, Wild arms, Grandia for PS4.... than again who cares for those games...Remot play is so much more important :(..

The age of JRPGs on consoles is sadly over, most of what comes out today is either on handheld or really obscure and just too "Anime" for me (as in really bad cliched Anime), only rarely do we still get some gems.

Well that is why I wished Sony invested in them and try to bring some games to PS4....  Doesn't have to be AAA JRpg's games like bravely default could work
on PS4 aswell.  I would not be sad to see a PSN indie section that existed out of JRPG's...

@Kresnik: It was a a serious question... I don't know if it well or not;.