By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony: Economics for AAA games 'don't work' on PS Vita

so its a indie console sry already got a pc for those

Around the Network

Just learned that now, Sony? Silly child. Some of the highest selling games on handhelds are the cheapest to make. Its the quality of the game and truthfully Sony needs to reinvest in JRPG's to regain the attention of Japan because DS handhelds are selling like hotcakes over consoles over there.

NiKKoM said:
Kresnik said:
Nope, they don't.

But what Sony don't seem to realise is that there are at least 3 tiers between AAA and indie, and that's something they've barely tried to tap but really, really should.

Sadly, it was just a blip on the radar rather than part of an overall shift in development for Vita and thus couldn't do much on its own. Sony should have more of their studios just having 20-or-so person B teams to develop games for the console in that vein

I'm actually trying to think of a solid B games developer but can think of none.. Did they like died or got swallowed up by bigger devs?

Vanillaware

SMT team

Gust

NIS

RenCutypoison said:
NiKKoM said:

I'm actually trying to think of a solid B games developer but can think of none.. Did they like died or got swallowed up by bigger devs?

Vanillaware

SMT team

Gust

NIS

I meant like Eurocom.. not niche pervy lolita anime developers..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

NiKKoM said:
RenCutypoison said:
NiKKoM said:

Vanillaware

SMT team

Gust

NIS

I meant like Eurocom.. not niche pervy lolita anime developers..

It's hard to have a small audience that's not niche. Niche means the same people will buy over and over the games from some dev. Not niche means new IP will not be bought by casuals if it's not a very high budget FPS. And casual friendly IPs have all died over time and Publishers are too affraid of launching new ones (Tough Spyro had a good reboot)

Edit : and Loli is not pervy. Loli is cute. Loli is the purest form of love.

Around the Network

@ original post

Look at the total sales of Vita (8.3mil) and total sales of PS4 (7.5mil). If games on the PS4 can sell millions, so can the Vita. They just need to take some risks, MARKET their new IP on the vita, and go for it. AAA games can sell as well on the Vita, they just haven't had too many fantastic ones. Gravity Rush was cool, but I personally felt it to be a bit lacking. Even though it was wildly fun to play...it didn't feel like it measured up to my pre-release expectations. Similarly with Soul Sacrifice. It was cool, and I had a LOT of fun playing it, but it didn't quite hit the mark did it. Many AAA games on the Vita suffered this fate. Not that the system isn't great, or that there's not enough Vita owners to get sales from....but that the big games they've pushed so far have kinda been A- or B+ quality games, not AAA games. They need to keep trying, it will get there. That AND push more RPG experiences. People love those on handhelds.

Check out my Gaming Website www.LiveLootLevel.com View my game blog, read some reviews, and leave a comment with your thoughts. Thanks for taking the time guys.

NiKKoM said:

Atlus, Doublefine, and Telltale come to mind. Their ain't many left, though.

See Sony, if you didn't flood the Vita with ports, people wouldn't be standing at Walmart, Gamestop, searching Amazon, etc, and deciding not to get the Vita because they're seeing nothing but ports. Then AAA games, AA games, A games, B rated games, and other titles other than indies might actually turned a good profit.

If Sony didn't put the time and effort to get developers interested in developing before the Vita BEFORE it became too late, then it's possible the system might be a financial success. It's just Sony, like every single console they've developed, sits on their ass and waits for third parties to do everything for the first couple years, then themselves try to make the product more appealing. Playstation is an amazing brand but Sony's business sense is awful.

kupomogli said:
See Sony, if you didn't flood the Vita with ports, people wouldn't be standing at Walmart, Gamestop, searching Amazon, etc, and deciding not to get the Vita because they're seeing nothing but ports. Then AAA games, AA games, A games, B rated games, and other titles other than indies might actually turned a good profit.

If Sony didn't put the time and effort to get developers interested in developing before the Vita BEFORE it became too late, then it's possible the system might be a financial success. It's just Sony, like every single console they've developed, sits on their ass and waits for third parties to do everything for the first couple years, then themselves try to make the product more appealing. Playstation is an amazing brand but Sony's business sense is awful.

Hopefully they learned from their PS4 strategy in appealing to the devs before releasing their console.

I mean, I love my Vita, but Sony really shot themselves in the foot with it.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

To be fair.. No one could have seen the impact the app store would make in 2008.. It changed a lot in these 6 years.. When Sony designed the vita it was for a totally different market the at its release..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!)