By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Did we REALLY need or want a new generation of consoles?

foodfather said:
Despite initial ''amazing'' PS4 sales and good Xbox One sales, the real answer is no.

7th Gen was a fluke, nobody expected it to last this long, nor for games like COD to sell 30m + copies. Since the emergence of alternative pastimes such as youtube, apps, tablets, smartphones etc, gaming has been in decline.

Every generation is longer than the one before it. Gaming has always been niche, its not declining just because the casuals are moving away.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network

Yes we needed the new gen.

Now all we need is the games to come.

Raze said:

As a silent observer, I've watched the software charts over the past few months. It really seems like people are primarily buying games for the last gen systems. It makes me wonder if we really needed a new Sony or Microsoft console. Sure, Nintendo had to play catch up in the graphics department to become HD, but did anyone seriously need an upgrade to the PS3 or 360? The software charts seem to be saying "no".

Perchance it's just a matter of ownership, as there are a ton more PS3 and 360 owners than there are PS4 and XB1 owners. Yet, I'm curious - as a gamer did you really need a new generation of consoles? Was your last gen console no longer good enough?

Not perchance.  There are 13 times more PS3+360 than PS4+XB1 owners.  There are also like 100 times more games in the libraries.  Yet weekly PS4 & XB1 software sales are already ~30% of PS3 & X360 for the year.

My 8th gen collection

I don't need next gen. I think you can give developers all the processing power in the world and it wouldn't make the games better for me.

wayyyy overdue,these companies wanna keep selling consoles,there was a big yoy slowdown in sales.

Around the Network
Raze said:
prayformojo said:
Raze said:

As a silent observer, I've watched the software charts over the past few months. It really seems like people are primarily buying games for the last gen systems. It makes me wonder if we really needed a new Sony or Microsoft console. Sure, Nintendo had to play catch up in the graphics department to become HD, but did anyone seriously need an upgrade to the PS3 or 360? The software charts seem to be saying "no".

Perchance it's just a matter of ownership, as there are a ton more PS3 and 360 owners than there are PS4 and XB1 owners. Yet, I'm curious - as a gamer did you really need a new generation of consoles? Was your last gen console no longer good enough?

I really don't think the general public wants consoles anymore. I think hardcore gamers do, but that's about it. The days of console gaming being a pop culture thing are over imo. Anyone old enough to remember the PS2 knows just how different things are now. The PS4 is a success so far, but absoutely nothing like the PS2. The Wii will probably go down as the last huge console.

I think we're headed for a service based future. No more Xbox One vs. PS4. It'll be Playstation Now vs. Xbox Now etc. 

I definitely agree. Last gen people were touting that Blu Ray would be around for a long time, which in some fashion, it will. Yet, streaming video and online services are severely affecting BluRay sales. Services like Steam are gaining more and more ground in the video game world, so I absolutely agree that gaming services from the 3 console makers will become more and more of a reality in the next 2 generations, and less about physical hardware. Few people buy CDs anymore, and fewer people are buying DVDs/Blu Ray movies, the gaming world is the last outpost for disc based entertainment.

Yeah, I read recently that sales of Blu-Ray are down and I believe it. Take a look at your local Wal-Mart. Their CD isle is down to one and their movie section is getting smaller and smaller. I tried to find the first Hobbit on Blu-Ray a few weeks back and it's no where to be found. That would have been unheard of just a few years ago.

It's not something I personally like. I'm older, and so, phyiscal media just feels right. But we're definately headed toward an all digital/streaming future. People don't have to like it, but embracing it would be a good idea imo.

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
d21lewis said:
Chasesdaddy84 said:
This happens EVERY generation. and its always slightly annoying when people point this out. The transitional phase from one gen to the next ALWAYS overlaps. It's how things have always been.

You say that but this is the first time I agree with the naysayers.  There was always something awe inspiring at launch.  Even the Dreamcast seemed amazing when I first saw what it could do.

Funny pic but do you think the 8th gen has something that blows people's mind like Call of Duty 2's online in 2005, Soul Calibur in 1999,   Super Mario 64 in 1996, Tekken in 95, etc.  This thing we're experiecing in the 8th gen (which started with the Wii U in 2012 if you don't count portables) doesn't happen every generation.  Hell, it doesn't usually happen with new consoles!  They usually launch with some mind blowing software that justifies an upgrade.  This time we get the hardware and a bunch of promises.  What's the upgrade? Resolution?  Even now, there's features that the PS3/360 have that still aren't available on PS4/ Xbox One.  We've lost features!!  When has that ever happened outside of format changes?  

Yes. The last gen for the most part was 32 bit and that carried a lot of limitations. I tend to mod my games and beacue of the 32 bit limitation sometimes you need to activate Large Adress Aware. It's a royal pain in the ass and now games coming up should be 64 bit, that eliminates the need to use stuff like LAA.

d21lewis said:

Funny pic but do you think the 8th gen has something that blows people's mind like Call of Duty 2's online in 2005, Soul Calibur in 1999,   Super Mario 64 in 1996, Tekken in 95, etc.  This thing we're experiecing in the 8th gen (which started with the Wii U in 2012 if you don't count portables) doesn't happen every generation.  Hell, it doesn't usually happen with new consoles!  They usually launch with some mind blowing software that justifies an upgrade.  This time we get the hardware and a bunch of promises.  What's the upgrade? Resolution?  Even now, there's features that the PS3/360 have that still aren't available on PS4/ Xbox One.  We've lost features!!  When has that ever happened outside of format changes?  

You're right.

Compared to previous gens, this one seems lack luster. I didn't even notice the Wii U release, the PS4 announcement bored me, and the XB1 announcement angered me.

However, I've realized that what is important isn't innovation or "blowing my mind", its improvement. Consoles are dedicated gaming machines, that might have more media features/media features coming then their predecessors. But the improvment in gaming is something that usually takes forever with generations. Now that we've got 3D, Online, and HD gaming out of the way, hopefully we can focus on improving game quality, something that was obviously lacking last gen.

The PS4 and X1 ui's alone destroy those of previous generations, boasting a higher feature set, while simultaneously getting us to our games faster. Load times are being eliminated, and console gaming has become cheaper overall if we consider inflation.

All of those "wow" things from previous gens, are things that have become standard now. I think the improvement is more of a justification then the innovation.

All big 3 tried to incorporate new things in their consoles, but its obvious that its going to be harder to "wow" people especially when they are older and their is only so much new stuff under the sun.

I mean what's left that isn't really an improvement or upgrade? VR, 3D, 4k(1080 upgrade), 60-120(30 fps upgrade)?

In fact, MS and Nintendo were so desperate to find something new and be innovative, that they gimped their consoles to support features that nobody asked for praying that the newness would wow consumers.

Even the PS4, with the touch, streaming, and social media features although this is less risky and more in line with what is popular today.

Regardless, there are only so many new things that can improve gaming as a whole, but until now the focus has been on finding these magical bolts of lightining rather than actually directly improving gaming. The latter I see as much more of a justification than the former.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

The answer is not really, despite what some hardcore will tell you here, wich is their vision.

Tech wise there isnt a huge evolution that can be perceived by the human eye. The average consumer cant tell the difference and doesnt like purchasing multiple consoles. I know of people that have bought Wii's and PS3's last year.
The hardcore though, were eager to see something new. This wont last though. As diminishing returns become bigger between generations, the high the chance that the market will collapse on itself. People just wont see the value on buying a new product for hundreads of euros/dollars for something they can hardly comprehend.

I am convinced that we might only have one more gen after this new one, if at all. Streaming is the way, not because its more convenient or better, but because there isnt a logic support to the purchase decision of a new console. I'm certainly not looking forward to it.