By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Return to the 'is the Wii more powerful than original Xbox?' question

Some funny replies, it would not kill some of you to simply accept that wiis hardware is weak and its graphics wont ever amaze anyone.

Around the Network

Hey BenKenobi, in reponse to your worries about Lair, apparently there is virtually no on-foot gameplay in it according to Julian Eggbrecht(spelling?) outside of starting a level and getting on your dragon, I was worried they would try it again too.

Apparently they saw that Rebel Strike's on-foot missions just didn't compare to the flying bits.

HappySqurriel said:

I don't think you really understand what you're talking about; it is a well known fact that G3, G4 and G5 PowerPC processors were far faster than their Pentium 2, Pentium 3 and Pentium 4 counterparts at the same clockspeed. It wasn't until Intel released the Prescot 2M core in Early 2005 that the Pentium 4 line became competative with other processor lines at similar clockspeeds; at 2.8 GHz the Prescott core was considered 'equal' to the Willamette core at 6.2GHz which is why it was named Pentium 4 HT 620.

If i understand the purpose of your post, i am sick just by reading it because it is oversimplistic ...

Nothing related to you,  because you do know that things are not as simple : when you want to define the 'power' of a CPU, 'Mhz' are only a part of the equation.

On your post, if you neglate that the pentium IV CPUs where engeneered for the increase of the pipeline length, implying the increase of the frequency of the CPU, all you say is perfectly correct.

My point is you cannot compare the PowerPC or the athlon XP architectures to that of Pentium IV at the same frequency, because this one was targeted to run 'faster' than those 2.

The only problem Intel had with this is that they could not meet the yields to sustain their roadmap ... If i recon correctly, today we would be at 7 GHz ! 

Blue3 said:
Some funny replies, it would not kill some of you to simply accept that wiis hardware is weak and its graphics wont ever amaze anyone.

One thing is saying it's really weak, much weaker than the competition, etc - that much is obvious.

A quite different thing is saying it's clearly weaker than the original Xbox, when that much is not clear - at all.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.

Alright, first post on these boards:

Both are very early titles in the system's launch.  See the difference?  Like the Game Cube its graphics will improve a lot from its early games.  It's going to have better graphics than the Xbox.  Here's a little more of what the Wii can do:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfT5VB7DiN0

Around the Network
Poseidon said:
Let us agree that the Wii is in fact more powerful than the Gamecube but weaker than the Xbox. So what? That should be a valid argument only if the Wii didn't come with the whole concept around their controller, and only relied on improved graphics.

I disagree. It is completely Microsoft-FUD, that the original XBOX is more powerful than Wii. I agree that XBOX360 and PS3 far more powerful than the Wii.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Blue3 said:

Just another anti-wii comment from Blue3. 

Cmon, those of you who seriously think the Xbox is more powerful than the wii, post the best xbox pics you can find.

Blue3 said:

I doubt that.  I watched the Super Mario Galaxy GDC trailer multiple times because it amazed me.  It's not technologically superior to a 360 or PS3 game, but if amazing graphics means "technologically superior" then you've got a different idea than me.  The colors, and the unique style, combined with pretty smooth looking technology amazed me.

And kalent, I know Lair doesn't really take you off your dragon, but there are sequences where your dragon walks on the ground...that's what I was considering the "land" missions like RS3.  And that's why I worry about Lair, because it has the possibility of being like RS3, where the land missions are just a "break" from the real action, and it's utterly boring.  From what I've seen, you land on the ground, and immediately start stomping all over soldiers.  Certainly sounds fun!  But if that's all you're doing, kicking around soldiers, with occasional slow-motion deaths, I can see that getting old fast.  It's when there's big animals on the ground that make it interesting, but then the solution is to just take flight, grab them with your claws and throw them.  Eh, it looks to be fun, but I don't know yet...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

ckmlb said:
I never said it effects sales, I posted it to deal with the issue of Wii being last gen or not.

The arguement over Wii being next or last gen irritates me.  Wii is next generation.  The definition from Meriam Webster for generation is

"1 a: a body of living beings constituting a single step in the line of descent from an ancestor b: a group of individuals born and living contemporaneously c: a group of individuals having contemporaneously a status (as that of students in a school) which each one holds only for a limited period d: a type or class of objects usually developed from an earlier type <first of the…new generation of powerful supersonic fighters — Kenneth Koyen>"

Wii is next generation, plain and simple.  The definition has nothing to do with the power of an object matching the power of all similar devices (even though the sentence example uses the word powerful).  But I do understand that really what everyone is doing when they bring up that arguement is trying to jab at Nintendo and it's fans by saying it's graphics and power do not match the PS3 or Xbox 360.  Well, in that respect, Let me say this now, you are all absolutely correct.  And I don't see Nintendo or any of their fans trying to dispute that.  But Graphics is not everything.  For some people it is apparently.  And that's fine.  I have my 360 for any high graphics desires I have.

I just don't know why this issue is repeatedly brought up by fans of other systems.  It's established, against other next gen systems, Wii has lower power and graphics.  Is there anyone that really disagrees with this?  Ok, thank you.  Doesn't change that the Wii is Next Generation.  Doesn't change that it is selling very well.

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)