By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Return to the 'is the Wii more powerful than original Xbox?' question

Here's an article by Newsweek's N'gai Croal, one of the most respected game journalists, investigating Microsoft exec Robbie Bach's statement that the original Xbox is more powerful than the Wii:

Enjoy.

http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/levelup/archive/2007/05/08/geek-out-xbox-uber-boss-robbie-bach-takes-a-shot-at-nintendo-s-underpowered-wii-does-he-manage-to-score-a-bulls-eye-or-just-shoot-himself-in-the-foot.aspx

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network

Blah, blah, blah, this argument is boring.  Enough technical comparisons give me images, that is the proof.  That is when wii actually releases their games with "good" graphics.

Hey ckmlb, if your going to quote someone in your signature, do it correctly.  Miyamoto said, "I could make Halo. It's not that I couldn't design that game. It's just that I choose not to." 

Notice he said design.

Pretty stupid. Firstly - its irrelevant (i.e. iPod vrs Xbox - which is more powerful, which is more successful?) thanks to sales. Secondly - I still haven't seen any *hard* specs on what the GPU in the Wii is capable of. ATI spent years designing/working on it, I don't think that would have happened if it didn't actually have some graphical improvements over the GC. The main difference (as reported) is the difference between a fixed vrs programmable pixel shader. Its interesting to see the article say that there isn't any effect you couldn't really do on a Wii. Thirdly - the Wii has more RAM, a faster CPU with faster cache/memory, and a more powerful architecture (its not all about the GPU you know..). And finally - as we all know - performance is much MORE about what a developer wants to put into development, than the specs of a piece of hardware. God of War II looks great - and its just a PS2 title.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

So its less powerfull then x1 ?

shams said:
Pretty stupid. Firstly - its irrelevant (i.e. iPod vrs Xbox - which is more powerful, which is more successful?) thanks to sales. Secondly - I still haven't seen any *hard* specs on what the GPU in the Wii is capable of. ATI spent years designing/working on it, I don't think that would have happened if it didn't actually have some graphical improvements over the GC. The main difference (as reported) is the difference between a fixed vrs programmable pixel shader. Its interesting to see the article say that there isn't any effect you couldn't really do on a Wii. Thirdly - the Wii has more RAM, a faster CPU with faster cache/memory, and a more powerful architecture (its not all about the GPU you know..). And finally - as we all know - performance is much MORE about what a developer wants to put into development, than the specs of a piece of hardware. God of War II looks great - and its just a PS2 title.

Are their any games on the Wii that look better then God of War 2?

Is the Wii even more powerful then the PS2?

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Around the Network

Developers who knew what they were doing, and devoted their efforts exclusively towards the Gamecube made some pretty impressive looking games; being that the Gamecube did not have the insane levels of support that the PS2 had, and developers never got to the same level of familiarity with the system, it is possible that those Gamecube games could look somewhat better. Without pure pre-rendering (resident evil 1) the Gamecube was able to produce the following images in realtime; we know the Wii is more powerful so games should be able to look (somewhat) better:

I really don't care if the original Xbox was more powerful. Zelda looked great on the Wii and we all know it has the power to do better than that. I didn't buy the system to drool over draw distances. That's what my 360 is for.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Well, it is built so that the graphics can be much better, according to the article. I am sure Nintendo will be able to use the Wii to the max in order to show the true differences between last gen and Wii.

As for God of War 2, it took about 7 years to get a game out that good. Definately shows MAX power of PS2, IMO. Zelda looked great for for a game 4-5 years into the GC's lifespan. A few more years, and we could have seen a GoW2 graphics game on the GC. With some improvements on the power of the Wii, we can see titles look at least twice as good as old gen. 

Whats that Starwars game called? I need a few GC games to go with my Wii system :)

"..just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake"

Vengi said:
Whats that Starwars game called? I need a few GC games to go with my Wii system :)

Star Wars Rogue Squadren 3