By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I think a lot of us don't understand the meaning of "competition"

DialgaMarine said:
Mr Puggsly said:
DialgaMarine said:
People may hate this statement, but it's the truth. The industry is at it's best when Sony and the PS are on top.

The 7th gen gen was fantastic and Playstation was irrelevant as ever.

Hence, the industry would be fine without Sony. Just my opinion ofcourse.

7th gen was fantastic if you're a fan of your prefferred console company abandonning their hardcore audience to pursue super casuals and rely on gimmicks that only grandmas and children actually. Hey, how much did you play with your kinect throughout it's lifetime? How about all those Wii Sports and fitness games, hmm? Did you enjoy all that while gamers were waiting for new AAA titles that they never got? Gen 7 was an utter failure in every regard beyond sales. 

It looks like I struck a nerve. Somebody clearly got upset.

Are you pretending there are no core games on the 360? Maybe you should explore the 360 library a little more. It actually has hundreds of core games, many of the same noteworthy titles found on its main competitor.

Does it matter how much time I spent with Kinect? I actually own numerious Kinect games, but I primarily spent my time with 360 playing core games.

I can tell you're upset because you're talking nonsense. Simmer down buddy, its just video games.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

What competition?
PS4 is dominating alone.

fps_d0minat0r said:
Fair competition is where the Sony console leads and the other 2 are kept alive as examples on why the right king is on the throne.
To win the throne, you have to win the people by not treating them like shit. Something I cant see MS or Nintendo doing anytime soon.

Thanks... I understood what means competition now.

I 100% agree the best gaming environment is where Playstation is dominating... this gen will be better than the last one.

Nintendo, Microsoft or Sony do not care for competition, fairness and all that nonsense. They are large corporations and they only care for making huge profits This competition you speak of has not lead to lower prices for video games. Games are still around $40 to $60 and can cost over $100 for collector's edition. Smart Phones/Tablets apps and games offer a far cheaper option for casual gamers in this tough economic climate. Casual gamers are most influenced by price and fads. 

Casuals are flocking to Smart Phones/Tablets 8th generation consoles/portables sales are selling at a much slower rate than 7th generation. 7th generation game sales are down across the board. Smart Phone/Tablets are killing off video game consoles. Only the PS4 has been able to reverse the trend by selling at a faster rate than the PS3 did last generation. However this generation's leader the PS4 is selling at a slower rate than 7th gen leader Wii was selling last generation.

Around the Network
padib said:
fps_d0minat0r said:
Fair competition is where the Sony console leads and the other 2 are kept alive as examples on why the right king is on the throne.
To win the throne, you have to win the people by not treating them like shit. Something I cant see MS or Nintendo doing anytime soon.

And I'm guessing that's why Sony sold so many PS3s at launch, and ended up losing last gen after a dominating 6th gen.

You highly underestimate Nintendo, they may have their flaws but they have great qualities. Let me list out why I think they are good for the "people":

• No fees for online, ever.
  • Slow to adopt less consumer-friendly practices (DLC, post-release bug patching).
  • Always focused on the gaming experience first (hence only local multiplayer for certain games). You may not like the end result, but the intent is noble, that's not arguable.
  • Focus on quality and appealing to the family. That is important in an industry dominated by violent content.
  • Corporate integrity. Taking pay cuts to better their financials.
  • A community-centered business, trying to bring people together. Whether it works or not, the intent is unarguably noble.
  • Affordable consoles (whether you like this or not).
  • Unique gaming experiences not found on any other console (Wii Sports, Nintendogs, Brain age, etc.)
You are like an ostridge with its head in the sand. Look around, and see things for what they really are.

I gonna bite ok? Chomp cHomp chOmp...

You say...No fees online ever? Ok cool, but why wouldn't you want the option of a service like PS+? If you don't know what that is it's kinda like there's games at normal price, a sale price and a ps+ sale price. SMG2 is a 30-40 dollar game, about 4 years old too. Don't you wish Nintendo had a Nintendo + program where games like this would go on sale half off? And then an even lower cost for + members? Oh you just want free feeless internet that suits you and Nintendo, and no real sales...have fun with that. But I thought Nintendo Wii U owners liked those 8-bit game sales? Hmm seems to me they NEED a Nintendo plus online sub program with free games from the Nintendo franchise for download and extra low sale prices? But you say their customers like it the way it is. Ok.

DLC? Well there's many deals on a variety of games for PS+ where you get games for 5-10usd or less with all DLC, and some you just get the core game. Most games that are as old as say a SMG2 will be 20.00 on the Sony platform and include all DLC. Like Red Dead Redemption GOTY, Batman series or GTA 4 Complete etc. For instance Mortal Kombat was 4.99 with no DLC this past weekend, or you can get the Komplete Edition on Amazon for under 20.00. So basically you don't like options when you claim these are pro's. Some indy games run on sale for .99 cents, like a few weeks ago on ps+.

That's more "your" opinion but still Nintendo has limited "options" for playing online. Just make games with both local and multi player, please both types of gamers. Nah Nintendo seems to like it "their" way. That's basically like they're screwing you their way if you think about it, same as having a "partner" that only screws you the way she/he likes, and your opinion? Well that's just not needed now is it because their way is the best...so they claim and so you believe.

The world is no longer blinded and as naive as it was in the Regan era, average humans worldwide want their violence,sex and drugs. Sad but true. So Nintendo is appealing to a smaller customer base, and pulling in less revenue now. There's a ton of people on drugs if you haven't noticed, a lot of people like sex too! I know! Who could believe it?

Corporate integrity? Have you ever worked for a corporation? That's some Joker/Full Metal Jacket irony Born to Kill on his helmet and wears the Peace button on his Marine fatugues. If you believe it great, I personally don't. Spoiler Joker willingly kills a baby/teen girl in the end, so much for peace eh? 

Community centered buisness? Ok so where's all the new upcoming 3rd party titles then for the WIi U? Yeah....(crickets)

Affordible is debatable when you consider the PS3 and XBOX360 are less costly.

Unique it is. They're very unique at Nintendo.

I'm not taking credit away from Nintendo. They've EARNED their current spot in history like it or not Mr. You can't blame their current state on me now can you? Why are you trying? Oh how noble of you, you just tried. I bet a mods looking at this right now because you messaged one before you posted a reply!

I just like good games on sale. I don't mind a little DLC. I do mind to much DLC. I see 3rd partys getting screwed and dropping their games prices on teh Wii U, but I don't see Nintendo games old/new dropping their prices like the 3rd parties who if you haven't noticed are leaving the Nintendo fold. How noble of Nintendo, keep their games priced high and let the 2nd partys and 3rd partys suffer. Like I said THEY earned it. You also earned my reply I hope you're over-joyed.

I just bought an old game Chrono Cross on PS+ for 3.49 it really sucks having that option. I wish it was 30.00+ and on the Nintendo Wii U I really do. 

^That's is sarcasm Mr. Nintendo games are great let me tell you <NOT sarcasm but so are Squaresoft or Square/Enix or Rockstar or Rocksteady or Naughty Dog or EPIC or many others. But I really think in 2014 you need an online program even for a Nintendo console that markets to people who like Steam/PS+ sales and Microsoft and Nintendo are not really on board with that design , they also trail in current gen sales. SO is that a coincedent or a rational market reaction? Who knows...

Mr Puggsly said:

It looks like I struck a nerve. Somebody clearly got upset.

Are you pretending there are no core games on the 360? Maybe you should explore the 360 library a little more. It actually has hundreds of core games, many of the same noteworthy titles found on its main competitor.

Does it matter how much time I spent with Kinect? I actually own numerious Kinect games, but I primarily spent my time with 360 playing core games.

I can tell you're upset because you're talking nonsense. Simmer down buddy, its just video games.

Regardless of what MS did with the Kinect, the 360 is a well supported system still getting games in 2014. If we are speaking freely, I don't think the Kinect on 360 was even a bad idea seeing as the Xbox was practically the only console without gaming peripherals, sans remote, or alt controllers. They didn't force it and supported it well.

This time around its directly affecting the system especially in away that increases its entry price. Kinect has affected the XB1 such that even if it was unbundled, it will still have done its damage.

My only problem with the 360 was its peripheralization and live dependencies, dependencies that did not really exist much on the 360's predecessor, and that have saturated the 360's successor.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

I hope you don't also think that Seppuku is a Noble Samurai Philosopy, and envision Nintendo as the last lone noble Samurai amongst electronic game makers.

Seriously though I don't hear many people rant and rave about how great MS and Nintendos online services are, but I do hear many people loving what Steam and PS+ are offering. I really always look forward to my weekly sales on Steam and PS+, and then I look forward monthly to new free games available on PS+. Yeah it costs 49.99 a year but I'd much rather have that option than no option, and get games at affordable prices. They just ahd aJapanese games sale and a sale with most Rockstar games for 4.99 RDR, MP3, LA Noire, GTAIV etc. I bit on the Japanese sale mostly because I don't mind discs and already have RDR and need to make sure I use my HDD space effectively.

As to whether SM3DW would have been better with online functionality implemented? Well no one will ever know for sure, because Nintendo cut that thing off at the head. And like everyone has noticed Knack outsold the latest and greatest Mario! You have to wonder what they can do to boost interest and maybe following current market trends would help Nintendo. That's all I'm trying to say. I want to buy a Nintendo system that has variety and I'm not seeing much of it on the Wii U, so I'm holding out until they decide to compete. Same with PS4 I'm waiting on a couple of features to be implemented before I decide to purchase that, and if XBOX1 ever gets that camera to do something innovative in some GAMES I could be interested with that console as well. 1 thing is for sure I like Steam sales and PS+ sales, and that's not changing anytime soon.

And another thing Nintendo catering to kids was when they SNES and pre SNES. Once MKII came out of teh Arcades and into the home the video game industry created this thing called game ratings. So You shouldn't state that Nintendo caters to familys/kids/purity of mind/nobility or whatever because Wii U owners are getting Bayonetta 2 hee hee. Check out the ass on Bayonetata! Check out the cleavage comon man?! You might be seeing what you want tpo see when it comes to that Nobility. So yeah Nintendo stopped in 1992 caring about violence with Mortal Kombat II on the SNES because the Genesis MK outsold their family friendly version. ;) They don't care about sex with Bayonetta obviously too. But hey that was a long time ago....but maybe you have a point when it comes to Nintendo and drugs. You got me there.

padib said:
We know what the decision was based on, it was based on philosophy. Again, whether that philosophy is correct or not (I'm not taking a position on that), it is noble. For example, for SM3DWorld, they wanted people to play together in the same room, they mentioned they studied the case for online and found that it just took away from the fun of the experience.

Also, it seems like you think I feel noble about their decisions and my posts. I don't understand what makes you think that but it's your choice to think that way.

As for WiiU prices, I thought I said I agreed with you that I wished they didn't keep their prices so unaffordable, personally.

And as for Chrono Cross, there are a lot of games on the VC which are also relatively cheap. I don't see why you need PS+ to get deals on the flipside. It shouldn't be necessary.

Why does it matter what they want? They aren't the ones purchasing the game.

You know what other companies focus test? Practically every AAA publisher. You know why they don't really work? They are testing their theories to confirm the biases that they already believe.

3Dworld was a game designed to have multiplayer, their is barely any difference between allowing friends to play with you online, and having them play with you at their house. No excuse can be given for which I will beleive them.

Not only that but it limits your market significantly as well.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank