By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I think a lot of us don't understand the meaning of "competition"

DialgaMarine said:
People may hate this statement, but it's the truth. The industry is at it's best when Sony and the PS are on top.

The 7th gen gen was fantastic and Playstation was irrelevant as ever.

Hence, the industry would be fine without Sony. Just my opinion ofcourse.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Veknoid_Outcast said:
VanceIX said:

Compared to most of the consoles from the last few generations (with the exception of the Gamecube, perhaps), the PS4 has put MUCH less emphasis on multimedia. It plays blu-ray, but it dosen't advertise it nearly as much as the PS3 did. It does Netflix. Once again, not much advertisement. Sony's campaign and emphasis on the console this generation was almost purely on core gaming, with little emphasis on the other features. And I said it is innovative in modern gaming, as in it concentrates on pure, traditional gaming in an era in which manufacturers are increasingly wanting their hardware to be "jack-of-all-trades" and want to fundamentally change game controls in a different way every generation.

I see what you're saying. I think we're just disagreeing on semantics. Innovative seems like the wrong word to use, but I understand what you mean.

I dunno, I don't see the PS4 as particularly innovative or games-focused, at least not compared against the other current-gen systems. It strikes me as an iterative console with an iterative controller and a comprehensive suite of multimedia options. It's an evolution of the PS3, which was an evolution of the PS2, which was an evolution of the PS1. 

I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing. Judging by sales that's obviously what people want.

Maybe a better way of wording it would be to say "appeal to consumers" rather than innovation. Innovation is a pretty broad term, as another poster mentioned before, but I was just referring to them trying something relatively new for this era of gaming. I guess we differ in opinion on the PS4 being an iterative console, but that's alright. Every consumer speaks with their wallet, that's how companies tell what their doing right or wrong.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Veknoid_Outcast said:

I see what you're saying. I think we're just disagreeing on semantics. Innovative seems like the wrong word to use, but I understand what you mean.

I dunno, I don't see the PS4 as particularly innovative or games-focused, at least not compared against the other current-gen systems. It strikes me as an iterative console with an iterative controller and a comprehensive suite of multimedia options. It's an evolution of the PS3, which was an evolution of the PS2, which was an evolution of the PS1. 

I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing. Judging by sales that's obviously what people want.

Ultimately, that is the case with all consumer electronics not just consoles. Innovation is a buzz-word, its not particularly good or bad but consumers are under the impression that New = Good. Regardless of how gamer focused the PS4 actually is, it is the only console out of the big 3 that has been advertised with an almost exclusive focus on games, which is extremely impressive for a company that is so engrained with Music and Movies.

Nintendo and Microsoft's obsession with the Tablet and Kinect respectively, are indicative of their desires to grasp on to the casual market like the Wii did because of the advent of mobile and the vast marketshare. But clearly, its lead them to ignore the concerns of the smaller core market such as games on day 1, reasonable price, basic controller, etc.

Sony has simply tapped into the blue ocean that Nintendo and Microsoft have created in search of higher profits. Only now do they realize what a stupid mistake they made and are just beginning to come back only to find that Sony is already hanging up its laundry.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Mr Puggsly said:
DialgaMarine said:
People may hate this statement, but it's the truth. The industry is at it's best when Sony and the PS are on top.

To Microsoft and Nintendo it obviously mattered greatly. And it wasn't like PS was in 3rd place. ;)

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Mr Puggsly said:
DialgaMarine said:

To Microsoft and Nintendo it obviously mattered greatly. And it wasn't like PS was in 3rd place. ;)

PS was in 3rd place for much of the 8th generation. Sony essentially lost billions of dollars on PS3 just to stay relevant.

Eitherway, I'm just pointing out to DialgaMarine that the industry was still awesome even when PS is less relevant and floundering. If Sony fails to get its financial situation together, it'll be okay. The industry can still be great.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:

PS was in 3rd place for much of the 8th generation. Sony essentially lost billions of dollars on PS3 just to stay relevant.

Eitherway, I'm just pointing out DialgaMarine that the industry is still awesome even when PS is less relevant and floundering.

True enough, his statement was just as opiniated as yours. But to claim that Sony was irrelevant just because it lost most of its US marketshare is kind of ridiculous. 

I mean the GTA V bundle alone contradicts that, but hey everyone is entitled to their own informed opinion.

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Eitherway, I'm just pointing out DialgaMarine that the industry is still awesome even when PS is less relevant and floundering.

True enough, his statement was just as opiniated as yours. But to claim that Sony was irrelevant just because it lost most of its US marketshare is kind of ridiculous. 

I mean the GTA V bundle alone contradicts that, but hey everyone is entitled to their own informed opinion.

I didn't say Sony was irrelevant, they were less relevant in the 7th gen than past generations. Hence, PS1 and PS2 crushed the competition. To the contrary, PS3 was a far cry from that. This is a fact.

No need to rewrite history and its not your fault. Don't take it personally.

Recently Completed

Competition does not matter this is a console war. Many console owners want their fave console system of choice to win the console generation.

Mr Puggsly said:
DialgaMarine said:

7th gen was fantastic if you're a fan of your prefferred console company abandonning their hardcore audience to pursue super casuals and rely on gimmicks that only grandmas and children actually. Hey, how much did you play with your kinect throughout it's lifetime? How about all those Wii Sports and fitness games, hmm? Did you enjoy all that while gamers were waiting for new AAA titles that they never got? Gen 7 was an utter failure in every regard beyond sales. 

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

DonFerrari said:
J_Allard said:
I'd rather have a close generation where everyone is fighting tooth and nail and making moves to one up their competition (moves that result in us, the gamers winning) than an entire gen where one console dominates with the hope that maybe the ensuing gen one of those dominated platforms might maybe make a big comeback.

We saw how much you rooted for PS3 recovery.

Please, I rarely ever enter sales threads. Can you please explain what has you catching feelings here? I own and love my PS3. Hope that helps.