By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I think a lot of us don't understand the meaning of "competition"

padib said:
fps_d0minat0r said:
Fair competition is where the Sony console leads and the other 2 are kept alive as examples on why the right king is on the throne.
To win the throne, you have to win the people by not treating them like shit. Something I cant see MS or Nintendo doing anytime soon.

And I'm guessing that's why Sony sold so many PS3s at launch, and ended up losing last gen after a dominating 6th gen.

You highly underestimate Nintendo, they may have their flaws but they have great qualities. Let me list out why I think they are good for the "people":

• No fees for online, ever.
  • Slow to adopt less consumer-friendly practices (DLC, post-release bug patching).
  • Always focused on the gaming experience first (hence only local multiplayer for certain games). You may not like the end result, but the intent is noble, that's not arguable.
  • Focus on quality and appealing to the family. That is important in an industry dominated by violent content.
  • Corporate integrity. Taking pay cuts to better their financials.
  • A community-centered business, trying to bring people together. Whether it works or not, the intent is unarguably noble.
  • Affordable consoles (whether you like this or not).
  • Unique gaming experiences not found on any other console (Wii Sports, Nintendogs, Brain age, etc.)
You are like an ostridge with its head in the sand. Look around, and see things for what they really are.

if these were so good for the "people" why is the Wii U getting so beat up by the Xone and PS4

Around the Network
padib said:
fps_d0minat0r said:
Fair competition is where the Sony console leads and the other 2 are kept alive as examples on why the right king is on the throne.
To win the throne, you have to win the people by not treating them like shit. Something I cant see MS or Nintendo doing anytime soon.

And I'm guessing that's why Sony sold so many PS3s at launch, and ended up losing last gen after a dominating 6th gen.

You highly underestimate Nintendo, they may have their flaws but they have great qualities. Let me list out why I think they are good for the "people":

• No fees for online, ever.
  • Slow to adopt less consumer-friendly practices (DLC, post-release bug patching).
  • Always focused on the gaming experience first (hence only local multiplayer for certain games). You may not like the end result, but the intent is noble, that's not arguable.
  • Focus on quality and appealing to the family. That is important in an industry dominated by violent content.
  • Corporate integrity. Taking pay cuts to better their financials.
  • A community-centered business, trying to bring people together. Whether it works or not, the intent is unarguably noble.
  • Affordable consoles (whether you like this or not).
  • Unique gaming experiences not found on any other console (Wii Sports, Nintendogs, Brain age, etc.)
You are like an ostridge with its head in the sand. Look around, and see things for what they really are.

PS3 didnt lose to the wii as bad as nintendo lost to PS1 and PS2. And its only because MS refused to accept blu-ray was the way to go (yeah it has blu-ray now doesnt it?) and the amount they invested in the cell processor meant it was financially weak throughout the whole gen.... yet it still got past 80m and wasnt killed off early like the wii.

1) They dont have much to offer in order to command a fee.

2) Their games are not technically on the level of the games Sony and MS create. Naturally they will require less patching. DLC is not 'less consumer friendly'. While I dont see the point in it, I understand others might want to purchase extra content to prolong their game. Nintendo is starting to do this anyway.

3) How many GOTY awards did uncharted and TLOU win? They had multiplayer and they killed nintendo games on SP too. Nintendo just dont want to invest in online.

4) Your opinion. Clearly family gaming isnt popular unless you have a well advertised fad.

5) From a business perspective you might be right. From a customer perspective, I prefer buying from a company that shrinks its profit to provide high end hardware at great value. I know which perspective I'd take over and over again.

6) intent blah blah blah.... When wii dominated only nintendo benefited and certain game types prospered. When PS1 PS2 dominated and ps3 did 80m+, most publishers and developers in the industry benefited and the variety is always greater than what nintendo will ever offer.

7) See point 5. Being cheap isnt necessarily good if people dont see any value.

8) heavy rain, puppeteer, sorcery, wonderbook, tearaway. For every 1 unique game you can find on nintendo, I can name you 2 on sony. and wii sports isnt unique. MS has kinect sports rivals and PS has sports champions.

So innovation = stagnancy because innovation = adapting to what the masses want (successful business) = no big changes plz

fps_d0minat0r said:

8) heavy rain, puppeteer, sorcery, wonderbook, tearaway. For every 1 unique game you can find on nintendo, I can name you 2 on sony. and wii sports isnt unique. MS has kinect sports rivals and PS has sports champions.

This is funny. Wii Sports isn't "unique" because it was copied, thanks to success. All those PS "uniques" you listed haven't been really successful. Sure, great games, but of course they will stay "unique" as long as others don't see a money flood by copying them. I'm saying "unique" because they are actually not unique. Maybe in the big picture of super awesome popular companies but not in the whole gaming world. It's all been there before, maybe not in a million dollars way but even Kinect and VR "games" have been developed at universities worldwide by poor students just for fun for over 15 years.

DonFerrari said:

I said that in several threads the only game of sony that you ever said you liked was GoW. UC, KZ, GT, etc you didn't. And haven't sony being last during the whole gen?

And I don't like God of War? Maybe you're confusing GoW with Gears of War?

And I have said before that I enjoyed UC1 and UC2 MP?

And I have said on here before that GT used to be my favorite franchise in gaming?

And I have said on here I loved Motorstorm? Among other Sony games you're missing.

And I bought a PS3 just for KZ2, since I enjoyed the original? And even though KZ2 was a train wreck, I still bought KZ3 day one to give them another shot?

Idk, seems you're not the expert on my posting and gaming habits as you'd believe. If you want to discuss it further, feel free to message me. Not gonna muddle the thread with your attacks any more.

As a Wii U owner I'm interested in having a stable eco system which makes it viable to create and release games for.

I don't care if the PS4 or XOne sells better if most of their games lack innovation on all levels.

The Wii U is the single one console available today which offers the broadest kind of controllers. This alone will enable new gameplay and fresh experiences. It says alot about the current state of the games industry that there nodoby is trying hard enough to make a fortune out of it...

Around the Network
Ostro said:

This is funny. Wii Sports isn't "unique" because it was copied, thanks to success. 

Wii Sports is one of the BEST SELLING games of ALL TIMES. It can't be praised enough and it should be seens on the same level as TETRIS as what it archived for the games industrie: getting people to play games which never tought of doing so.

Wii Sports Club (don't get why they left of the "U") is even BETTER than Wii Sports. Online and WiiMotion+ makes Wii Sports Club the ÜBER SPORTS GAME of all times.

Sports rivals doesn't come close. It might be a unique experience thanks to Kinect - BUT it doesn't have the same level of accessibilty AND "masterbility" of a Wii Sports Club. 

Too bad Nintendo doesn't make more out of it from a PR standpoint. I bought a Wii U BECAUSE of Wii Sports Club tennis and golf...

mine said:

Wii Sports is one of the BEST SELLING games of ALL TIMES. It can't be praised enough and it should be seens on the same level as TETRIS as what it archived for the games industrie: getting people to play games which never tought of doing so.

That's funny I thought sales don't matter.

mine said:
As a Wii U owner I'm interested in having a stable eco system which makes it viable to create and release games for.

I don't care if the PS4 or XOne sells better if most of their games lack innovation on all levels.

The Wii U is the single one console available today which offers the broadest kind of controllers. This alone will enable new gameplay and fresh experiences. It says alot about the current state of the games industry that there nodoby is trying hard enough to make a fortune out of it...

mine said:

Sports rivals doesn't come close. It might be a unique experience thanks to Kinect - BUT it doesn't have the same level of accessibilty AND "masterbility" of a Wii Sports Club. 

I assume you've played KSR then? That game doesn't even have a learning curve to pick up and play. try again

Innovation is just a buzz-word. For simpletons who don't want to understand what good gameplay mechanics are. It just means new things.

DLC, Microtransactions, On-Disc DLC, Always Online Console DRM all of that are innovations to. New does not equal good, Innovative does not equal good.

I thought we play games, not controllers. From a purely games standpoint, the only game I would get would be Smash 4. Hell I play, brawl with a Game Cube controller. Nobody asked for such pointless innovations, thats why the core are going back to PlayStation, they are the only console company that realized that gamers have basically been ignored last gen and this gen by the other 2 manufacturers.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Most here don;t understand what competition means:

The market decides what is the best product. I think many simply don't understand what competition means, it does not mean parity. The OG xbox was competition to ps2,yet ps2 dominated. Competition does not mean competing products need to be close or have sales parity, that defeats the purpose of competition.

An inferior product getting outsold is the market and competition working as intended.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/competition

/thread

did nintendo reveal the wii u attach rate ?