By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I think a lot of us don't understand the meaning of "competition"

J_Allard said:
DonFerrari said:
J_Allard said:
I'd rather have a close generation where everyone is fighting tooth and nail and making moves to one up their competition (moves that result in us, the gamers winning) than an entire gen where one console dominates with the hope that maybe the ensuing gen one of those dominated platforms might maybe make a big comeback.

We saw how much you rooted for PS3 recovery.

Please, I rarely ever enter sales threads. Can you please explain what has you catching feelings here? I own and love my PS3. Hope that helps.

Yes, you barely praise Ms and its games or cheer for their increase in sales.

Man almost in every comparison between ms and sony games you choose ms. You even said that the only game you liked was GoW and all others were garbage comparing to ms counterpart. If you love your Ps3 you never showed it, maybe you just play 3rd parties there or played 1st parties to complain on how bad they are.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:

Man almost in every comparison between ms and sony games you choose ms. You even said that the only game you liked was GoW and all others were garbage comparing to ms counterpart. If you love your Ps3 you never showed it, maybe you just play 3rd parties there or played 1st parties to complain on how bad they are.

I... don't even like God of War? And I have played Last of Us with at least 4 people from this very forum?

Idk, maybe you are confusing me with someone else or are just flat out wrong? Take your pick.

Also, aren't we constantly reminded here that MS finished this gen in 3rd place? Wouldn't my original line of thought that you quoted in this thread then call for me to root for MS, that way all 3 are closer together?

Maybe slow down a bit, let the game come to you.

padib said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

But Nintendo has always had competition in the core market, the real issue is that they have not sufficiently caught up to times that they cannot compete with the others in the same way any longer, they have been disassociated with  being the lead console for games in the home console sense. Thats pretty much their fault for not adapting quick enough.

The Multitude of consoles Pre-Nes, Sega, and then Sony, and lastly Microsoft.

If we're being honest here Sony took away Nintendo's multiplat by superiority advantage and then Microsoft, which is dependant on Multiplat and a few exclusives, made Sony fight for those exclusives by using their "advantages". Nintendo never stood a chance with their Pre-Sony mentality.

Last I checked the DS beat the PSP and the 3DS beat the Vita, with the very same mentality.

The first paragraph could work if you replaced Nintendo with Sony and home console with hand held console.

However, the last paragraph concernts Microsofts effect on multiplats, so its not really relevant when discussing handhelds, since there is no Xbox handheld device.

Regardless, Nintendo's declining success in the home console market is not because they face a dominating force, but is rather the result of their own failures. Failures that the Sony faces in the hand held market for different but related reasons. On the contrary, equal competiton promotes stagnation and imposes a fear of innovation because risking the position is to valuable whereas having nothing to lose figuratively is a stronger motivating force.

Perfect example was the OG xbox (my favorite ms console btw), 360 came into game with little over 20 million sales, they had everything to gain and not that much to lose.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

padib said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
padib said:

I disagree for this simple reason. When Nintendo did not have all the competition in the core market, it made games I much prefered. The harsh competition, money-hatting and preferential treatment against Nintendo, in the name of competition, forced it to become a shadow of its former self for some of the games I personally prefer, because making those games became unprofitable for them.

Thanks.

But Nintendo has always had competition in the core market, the real issue is that they have not sufficiently caught up to times that they cannot compete with the others in the same way any longer, they have been disassociated with  being the lead console for games in the home console sense. Thats pretty much their fault for not adapting quick enough.

The Multitude of consoles Pre-Nes, Sega, and then Sony, and lastly Microsoft.

If we're being honest here Sony took away Nintendo's multiplat by superiority advantage and then Microsoft, which is dependant on Multiplat and a few exclusives, made Sony fight for those exclusives by using their "advantages". Nintendo never stood a chance with their Pre-Sony mentality.

Last I checked the DS beat the PSP and the 3DS beat the Vita, with the very same mentality.

The PSP still sold tons, so Sony didn't see the need to change their gameplan.

It's like what I'm trying to say, if the DS absolutely dominated and Sony didn't do well, they would actually be forced to change. They weren't pressured enough and got too comfortable with their position, is the problem.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

J_Allard said:
DonFerrari said:

I... don't even like God of War? And I have played Last of Us with at least 4 people from this very forum?

Idk, maybe you are confusing me with someone else or are just flat out wrong? Take your pick.

Also, aren't we constantly reminded here that MS finished this gen in 3rd place? Wouldn't my original line of thought that you quoted in this thread then call for me to root for MS, that way all 3 are closer together?

Maybe slow down a bit, let the game come to you.

I said that in several threads the only game of sony that you ever said you liked was GoW. UC, KZ, GT, etc you didn't. And haven't sony being last during the whole gen?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

the essence of competition is there is a winner and a loser and us consumers get to choose.

we are picking the winner with our dollars and telling the corporations what we want and what we don't want. so yes, i want competitions but that doesn't mean equality. it means reward and punishment respective to the product provided.

so far i've been very pleased with how this gen turned out. i'm glad ms is getting punished for their bullshit.

Fair competition is where the Sony console leads and the other 2 are kept alive as examples on why the right king is on the throne.
To win the throne, you have to win the people by not treating them like shit. Something I cant see MS or Nintendo doing anytime soon.

If they want to innovate then they should do it with their games.

VanceIX said:

That's why I don't think that people should be called out for supporting their favourite console. They may be fanboys, sure, but it is people like them that are the deciding factor in the state of the industry, and fuel the real "competition".

/end_rant

Everything you said up to this point is fine.  When it comes to supporting a console and blindly being negative to the others is not.  People definitely should be called out for blindly supporting their console without being real about its faults.  This is what defines a fanboy.  A person who would champion their product or corporation of choice and turning a blind eye to anything not so positive they do. 

Such behavior does not fuel competition but instead just clog up any real discussion with Fanboys rants.  I agree that all console makers do not have to be the dominate console but you definitely do not want your console of choice to be to dominate.  A true gamer no matter how much they like one corporation over the other must also have a critical eye towards crap they do.

Right now I think the balance is great.  Sony is not to far ahead and MS is not the dominate console.  MS plays better when they are behind because they do not go all corporate like they did at the beginning of this generation.  Sony is not to far ahead where they would go all corporate like they did during the beginning of last generation.  Nintendo on the other hand is somewhere in limbo but I must say, that new bundle they are bringing out is a winner.

Machiavellian said:
VanceIX said:

That's why I don't think that people should be called out for supporting their favourite console. They may be fanboys, sure, but it is people like them that are the deciding factor in the state of the industry, and fuel the real "competition".

/end_rant

Everything you said up to this point is fine.  When it comes to supporting a console and blindly being negative to the others is not.  People definitely should be called out for blindly supporting their console without being real about its faults.  This is what defines a fanboy.  A person who would champion their product or corporation of choice and turning a blind eye to anything not so positive they do. 

Such behavior does not fuel competition but instead just clog up any real discussion with Fanboys rants.  I agree that all console makers do not have to be the dominate console but you definitely do not want your console of choice to be to dominate.  A true gamer no matter how much they like one corporation over the other must also have a critical eye towards crap they do.

Of course, in no ways did I mean to imply that disrespectful and immature behavior should be tolerated. What I mean is that a lot of "fanboys" are unfairly called out because they support one console and don't at all support the others. Maybe the true defintition of fanboy is blindly being negative towards other consoles, but I think too many people get caught up in that term just for having a heavy favourite. 

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC