By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Boom Blox features head tracking!

Nintendo needs to make a FPS (or license one out) that uses this tech, and is released with those IR glasses and a WiiMote stand. This is awesomeness!

Around the Network

really cool.

More than anything else, this is the first time where I've really felt that a third party is really, finally experimenting with the Wii in an interesting way.

Not that there haven't been good third party games, mind you. Just that this is the first time I've seen them take a risk with a quirky and unproven control design.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Smash_Brother said:
Doh.

That'll teach Johnny Lee to give his ideas away for free...

Well at the end of his video he does ask for developers to use it to make games so I doubt he's upset.  If anything he's probably happy as hell right now.

jlauro said:
TWRoO said:
bigjon said:
This is just the beginning... if someone(Free Radical) can get this implemented into an FPS game.... The 360 might have to say goodbye to the FPS crown.

I really don't think it would work for an FPS... and I'm not sure why people think it would... if you were really there shooting stuff you wouldn't be doing so through a window a metre in front of you.. it would be very disorienting. wheras other genre can benefit massively, Endless Ocean for instance could have you moving around to look at the fish, 3D puzzlers (like this i think) would work really well.

Yeah, that would be silly. When I shoot I like to stand out in the wide open with my head up. Having cover like a window just gets in the way of a FPS. Turning or tilting my head to get a better angle at a target wouldn't help my game at all.

Seriously, do you have any idea how wicked awsome it would be to have the camera controlled by your head movements! Then you would use the WiiMote to aim... I can just picture coming of to a corner, or a door and peeking in just by look into it... It this implemented in a responsible manner(not EA please) it would have a shot a being an UBER system selling shooter... this would work especially well for Tom Clancy type games(slower paced)

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Around the Network
TWRoO said:
bigjon said:
This is just the beginning... if someone(Free Radical) can get this implemented into an FPS game.... The 360 might have to say goodbye to the FPS crown.

I really don't think it would work for an FPS... and I'm not sure why people think it would... if you were really there shooting stuff you wouldn't be doing so through a window a metre in front of you.. it would be very disorienting. wheras other genre can benefit massively, Endless Ocean for instance could have you moving around to look at the fish, 3D puzzlers (like this i think) would work really well.

In addition to what others have already said, we know that you can walk behind and beside things, so why couldn't the enemies be beside you?  If you're facing forward, you wouldn't necessarily notice them i they were meant to surprise you.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
bigjon said:
jlauro said:
TWRoO said:
bigjon said:

Yeah, that would be silly. When I shoot I like to stand out in the wide open with my head up. Having cover like a window just gets in the way of a FPS. Turning or tilting my head to get a better angle at a target wouldn't help my game at all.

Seriously, do you have any idea how wicked awsome it would be to have the camera controlled by your head movements! Then you would use the WiiMote to aim... I can just picture coming of to a corner, or a door and peeking in just by look into it... It this implemented in a responsible manner(not EA please) it would have a shot a being an UBER system selling shooter... this would work especially well for Tom Clancy type games(slower paced)

I agree bigjon this would be awsome in a FPS, not so much for the control which if done right could be sweet, but for the realism

Have you notice yourself and others at times straining your head to look over a hill, or around a wall in a game, well now you really can, it's intuitive and natural much like the Wiimote itself

This is the start, more game Devs should develop this concept and Nintendo should develop/make the IR head set for general sale and push this baby in 2009 as the next big thing in gaming

yeah, i wonder what EA has in mind? clearly, it's a very easy thing to implement.

hopefully, EA has the resources to put together a game before x'mas 2008!

the Wii is an epidemic.

Well, crap, now I'm going to have to buy this game too. As if my list wasn't long enough already

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Holy crap.

We all knew it was possible, we all knew it would likely show up soon, but who the hell thought that the first game to implement head tracking would be Boom Blox, or anything like it.

I'm stunned.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.