By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Boom Blox features head tracking!

bloom box will become a Fad : 0

10 million sold confirmed...

this game will be known in the future as the game that made Headtracking mainstream(just like mario 64 made 3D mainstream)

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

Around the Network
tokilamockingbrd said:
bloom box will become a Fad : 0

10 million sold confirmed...

this game will be known in the future as the game that made Headtracking mainstream(just like mario 64 made 3D mainstream)

If this is a joke post, then disregard my reply.

I think that's incredibly unlikely since it will not "feature" it so to speak, so much as include it as a hidden bonus for those in the know, which will be an extreme minority. 

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

?? what do you mean by it will not feature it ??

I was kinda exagerating, but I think it could become a huge hit. If the headtracking catches on I could see this become a tetris like craze. Also you have to remember that Spielbergs name will be used in relation to this, that should help alot. I guess I am thinking this could sell 4-5 million(I think it will be huge in Europe)

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

TWRoO said:
Smidlee said:

I was also wondering why it's called 6D motion when there is no such thing (it's either full 3D or less) unless this game or whatever you were referring to is made by Sony (6 axis... Ha!)

It called 6D movement since the camera tracks both your head position as well as your head direction (tilt) , thus it's 3d X 2 = 6D. Still head tracking works the best if your are very close to the camera.

With Johnny Lee's famous wii head tracking video noticed Johnny does a good job keeping the video camera dead center on the screen for the depth to work correctly. The problem is of course unlike a camera just because I got my eyes dead center on the TV screen doesn't mean I got my head pointing dead center toward the screen. This became very obvious to me when the first time I started playing with TrackIR. I realize just how much my head moves (even though my eyes stay centered on the monitor) while I'm playing games as I had to learn to keep my head still and pointing in a certain direction.

A "GCD Easter Egg." Like an extra session, or surprise announcement, or something. Not an Easter Egg in the game. That's how I read it anyways.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Around the Network

wow, can't wait to read the reviews to see how it all flows.

Smidlee said:
TWRoO said:
Smidlee said:

I was also wondering why it's called 6D motion when there is no such thing (it's either full 3D or less) unless this game or whatever you were referring to is made by Sony (6 axis... Ha!)

It called 6D movement since the camera tracks both your head position as well as your head direction (tilt) , thus it's 3d X 2 = 6D. Still head tracking works the best if your are very close to the camera.

With Johnny Lee's famous wii head tracking video noticed Johnny does a good job keeping the video camera dead center on the screen for the depth to work correctly. The problem is of course unlike a camera just because I got my eyes dead center on the TV screen doesn't mean I got my head pointing dead center toward the screen. This became very obvious to me when the first time I started playing with TrackIR. I realize just how much my head moves (even though my eyes stay centered on the monitor) while I'm playing games as I had to learn to keep my head still and pointing in a certain direction.

I still don't think it presents much of a problem, I don't think many people are turning their heads much at all while playing, it could perhaps present a problem if you simply change position to be comfortable... but watching that video again the screen isn't perfectly in the middle all the time, and well within bounds if you kept your eyes looking forward (like I said if you play games with your head diagonally it might look odd)

The human mind can sort these things out quick enough for you not to even notice unless you are trying, for instance when you have the remote on your lap it is difficult to tell that the pointing is not 1:1 with the TV screen, and the mind adjusts so that you can easily move your hand and stop it at any position on screen even if you are not directly pointing at it.

The only problem I could see is sometimes you might stop playing for a second and look away from the screen, but if it was blinkered like I said earlier that could be eliminated.

And I am guessing it's just called 6D to make it sound better like the six-axis, because tilt, roll and pitch are not classed as extra dimensions.

Smidlee said:
TWRoO said:
bigjon said:
This is just the beginning... if someone(Free Radical) can get this implemented into an FPS game.... The 360 might have to say goodbye to the FPS crown.

I really don't think it would work for an FPS... and I'm not sure why people think it would... if you were really there shooting stuff you wouldn't be doing so through a window a metre in front of you.. it would be very disorienting. wheras other genre can benefit massively, Endless Ocean for instance could have you moving around to look at the fish, 3D puzzlers (like this i think) would work really well.

Well there are already FPS with head tracking that works with 6D movement which I doubt wii-mote can do. (maybe it can with three LED lights). In fps I find tracking head is more of a hindrance that a help especially in multiplayer. (like you noted , too much movement can be very disorienting) I've notice in the video the camera movement is very slow unlike a fps. Combat flight sims are in a way a special kind of fps where you can't turn the camera (point of the plane) around in a split second, thus head tracking is the most useful in these cases.

I still beleive a great game for console head tracking would be a Mech type game.

As far as gear I like using a cap with my TrackIR.

The Wiimote IR camera is capable of tracking up to four IR points. I'm pretty sure your cap could be made to work with it just fine, given the right software. 

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

TWRoO said:
Smidlee said:
TWRoO said:
Smidlee said:

And I am guessing it's just called 6D to make it sound better like the six-axis, because tilt, roll and pitch are not classed as extra dimensions.

Sorry you misunderstood me .

6D ,2D, 3D, etc, when it comes to tracking refering to directional not necessary dimensions.( As far as dimensions it track in 4D as it tracks in real time.) Not all games that supports TrackIR uses 6D , some older ones only tracks 2d and some newer games only tracks 5d (doesn't track head rolls) .

If nintendo comes out with something like a special cap which has three point of reference I don't see why the wii couldn't track in 6D as well. As you noted most of it is in the software.

Just thought i'd let you know - Amazon are selling LED goggles (link below), what I find amusing is the customers who bought this item also bought are Wii motes etc either Amazon or consumers are starting to associate these safety glasses with the Wii.

It's beginning...

http://www.amazon.com/AO-Safety-Vision-Glasses-97490-80000/dp/B000S97ZW4