By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Boom Blox features head tracking!

It'd probably be better to have leds in a headband instead of on glasses, ether that or just have the top ridge of the glasses and nothing that could actually get smeared and interfere with your vision while playing. The head band would be easier to create so that it's adjustable though

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Around the Network

Its a good point about the perephrials.... what it really needs is a clip on piece to make a stand for 1 wii remote... and then some simple headgear with LEDs on either side. (probably an array like the sensor bar, maybe 3 on each side instead of 5) a triple-A battery or two should last a long time if only powering LEDs.

However the patent that was posted a while ago had some headgear wth a Wiimote attached to one side, I'm not sure that would work as well.... and would be more cumbersome having a dirty great remote on your head.

MEGATON

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp

This would be most practical for simply watching 3D replays. You wouldn't need any extra equipment; no goggles, no taping something to a hat, no Wiimote stand. Just hold the senser bar and set your Wiimote by your TV, then move around watching the replay.

I'd like to see Nintendo take the initiative in getting peripherals out there. They should put out a New Duck Hunt which comes with (1) a replacement senser bar which has a Wiimote camera in the center and (2) "Hunting Goggles" with side LEDs. A super simple shooting game like Duck Hunt would be perfect to get things rolling on using head tracking during gameplay.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

TWRoO said:
bigjon said:
This is just the beginning... if someone(Free Radical) can get this implemented into an FPS game.... The 360 might have to say goodbye to the FPS crown.

I really don't think it would work for an FPS... and I'm not sure why people think it would... if you were really there shooting stuff you wouldn't be doing so through a window a metre in front of you.. it would be very disorienting. wheras other genre can benefit massively, Endless Ocean for instance could have you moving around to look at the fish, 3D puzzlers (like this i think) would work really well.

Well there are already FPS with head tracking that works with 6D movement which I doubt wii-mote can do. (maybe it can with three LED lights). In fps I find tracking head is more of a hindrance that a help especially in multiplayer. (like you noted , too much movement can be very disorienting) I've notice in the video the camera movement is very slow unlike a fps. Combat flight sims are in a way a special kind of fps where you can't turn the camera (point of the plane) around in a split second, thus head tracking is the most useful in these cases.

I still beleive a great game for console head tracking would be a Mech type game.

As far as gear I like using a cap with my TrackIR.

Around the Network

Are they going to be coming out with the necessary peripherals, or is it going to have to be homebrewed by yourself to happen? If it's the former this will be a big hit, but if it's the latter, it'll be awesome but won't really take off in the general public. It'll just remain a fun mod. It doesn't really matter to me personally, but this could sell a lot of software on the Wii if it were made official.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Smidlee said:
TWRoO said:
bigjon said:
This is just the beginning... if someone(Free Radical) can get this implemented into an FPS game.... The 360 might have to say goodbye to the FPS crown.

I really don't think it would work for an FPS... and I'm not sure why people think it would... if you were really there shooting stuff you wouldn't be doing so through a window a metre in front of you.. it would be very disorienting. wheras other genre can benefit massively, Endless Ocean for instance could have you moving around to look at the fish, 3D puzzlers (like this i think) would work really well.

Well there are already FPS with head tracking that works with 6D movement which I doubt wii-mote can do. (maybe it can with three LED lights). In fps I find tracking head is more of a hindrance that a help especially in multiplayer. (like you noted , too much movement can be very disorienting) I've notice in the video the camera movement is very slow unlike a fps. Combat flight sims are in a way a special kind of fps where you can't turn the camera (point of the plane) around in a split second, thus head tracking is the most useful in these cases.

I still beleive a great game for console head tracking would be a Mech type game.

As far as gear I like using a cap with my TrackIR.

6D? what are you on about.

by the way the sensor bar has 10 LEDs ... and although they only act as 2 points of reference, it can still however track almost any movements that a 3 point triangulation could because it knows the distance between the two points. 

TWRoO said:

by the way the sensor bar has 10 LEDs ... and although they only act as 2 points of reference, it can still however track almost any movements that a 3 point triangulation could because it knows the distance between the two points.

There is a good reason why TrackIR uses three points of reference to track 6D movement (one point set back from the other two.)I beleive you knew I wasn't referring to have many led light the wii actually uses but how many points it uses which would at least required 3 LED lights to do 6D movement.

With two point reference there are two way to make the two points closer together from the camera viewpoint, the first it to move farther from the camera and the secord is to turn your head a little to the right or left. With 3 points of reference the camera can tell the difference between head movement from head 3D position. Thus wii head tracking would be limited for the most part 2D movement.

I seriously doubt there will be a peripheral added. The article says it's an "easter egg", it's hidden, a little bonus for the hardcore that know about headtracking. Odds are you will need to go to your local electronics shop to buy a couple LED lights and a headband to put them on. What I wonder is how it will be activated. Will there be an option to turn it on? How will it know exactly what kind of set up you've got going? I'm interested to see how they implement activating it.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Smidlee said:
TWRoO said:

There is a good reason why TrackIR uses three points of reference to track 6D movement (one point set back from the other two.)I beleive you knew I wasn't referring to have many led light the wii actually uses but how many points it uses which would at least required 3 LED lights to do 6D movement.

With two point reference there are two way to make the two points closer together from the camera viewpoint, the first it to move farther from the camera and the secord is to turn your head a little to the right or left. With 3 points of reference the camera can tell the difference between head movement from head 3D position. Thus wii head tracking would be limited for the most part 2D movement.

Ahh yes I see that limitation, except it isn't really a limitation considering you have to look at the TV to see whats going on. So it can be used to track the distance you are from it, it just means if you turn to one side anyone else watching (unless you happen to game diagonally) would see it as if you had moved further away. I was also wondering why it's called 6D motion when there is no such thing (it's either full 3D or less) unless this game or whatever you were referring to is made by Sony (6 axis... Ha!) Edit: You could actually stop it happening with a bit of programming and hardware design too. If you "blinkered" the LEDs on the headgear so they are only visible when aimed directly at the screen, then program any movement to stop as soon as you look away (so you can move to a place and look away but nothing on screen changes till you look back)