By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's in a 'bag of hurt' because of Blu-ray

I once did a nice rant about Blu-ray.
Why are they bad?
Interactive Java stuff... I want to see the damn movie, nothing more!
"Extras" Yeah, give me the trailer of the movie I just watched in polish! Talking about wasting size...
Region locks! Can't believe they are still doing this...
But to add to the region crap, several versions for one movie exist in one region. Why not make one "EU" disc with all languages? No, because they want you to spend more money, if you are German, of course. You find the same movie in France for less money but it only has French, Spanish and English language and subtitle.
Really, Blu-Ray is so bad, in my opinion... Yes, picture quality is unrivaled currently, but this is just a matter of time.

Around the Network
padib said:

@Shadow. The difference between the physical format of a book and the physical format of a DVD is so different, I wouldn't even know where to start. DVD stands for Digital Video Disc. Even if the data is on a disc, it's still digital. A book, on the other hand, never was digital like an e-book or a DVD is. People are still strong on books because A) it's often easier on the eyes and B) many people prefer not bother with technology altogether. The difference between a BD and a digital movie is so much more limited than between a book and an e-book.

Also, as for the downtime due to broken connection limiting access to content, if the world went all-out digital, don't you think there would be locations where people could buy digital content and just plug a digital drive and store it, much like going to a store and picking out a disc box and paying for it?

And one more thing, what if your discs crack, get stolen, or are in a house fire? You're also in the same problem of possibly not being able to get them back at all, maybe the disc supplier no longer exists, whereas with digital you could find a friend who possibly has the same video as you and you could download it from their house. Also, it's much easier to back up digital version of movies and store them in a remote location than to back up disc versions (in which case the backup is almost always non-physical eventually anyway).

Just my thoughts on that.

Personally, for almost all movies I do not care. If I really want to see a picture in its glory, I watch it at the cinema. The cinema is something I really enjoy for those occasions. When I'm at home, those aren't the types of movies I want to watch anyways, I'd watch more Jerry Mcguire type movies, which are fine in Netflix quality.

And if I actually really wanted a movie in HD (like the upcoming Star Wars trilogy, or an epic like Avatar), then yes I'll get it on Blu Ray, but given no data caps in Canada I could just as easily download it in HD.

A movie was never digital either... Surely blu-ray is easier on the eyes than dvd or streaming as it comes closest to the original imagery. Plus blu-ray player + disk is not more difficult than checking multiple streaming services for availability.

Where are the places you can go to to pick up digital data? Why are they still not here. I think they tried with music, why not with movies?

Copying a digital movie from a friend is not legal, borrowing a disk is however. A house fire resulting in complete loss would be a problem. So would getting your account hacked, or identity stolen for digital media. You can prevent either.

As for the cinema, I wanted to watch The wind rises in the cinema. Sorry not available in your area. As with many movies I like to watch. I'm not interested in the latest 3D popcorn flick. However finally being abale to watch my favorite movies as they were intented to be seen and heard is awesome.
Oh and the picture quality in my local cinema is worse than at home, crap 2K projector with terrible black level and visble pixel structure.

Btw what do you mean by given no data caps in Canada? I'm in Ontario with a 80GB data cap.

padib said:
SvennoJ said:
Shadow1980 said:

Wasn't physical media supposed to be dead already? ....

Great post.

I still buy CDs, although through Amazon nowadays since the shelf space in my local store only has the disposable pop new releases left. My wife's first iPod died, new one she always forgets to charge and at some point it screws it up and you have to redownload everything. Same with my parents in law, always have to come over to fix the damn mp3 player. I simply play my CDs which always work.

When my ps3 died, it took me a couple of months just to redownload all the psn stuff with my bandwidth cap.

And books, I thought about buying an e-reader at some point. Then I picked up my book again, browsed back and forth to the nicely detailed map while reading the final battle of the wheel of time. Feeling the texture of the paper between my fingers and see the sunlight bounce of the pages. Checking how far I am by the thickness of the book. I stare enough at screens all day, no e-reader for me.

You need to back things up silly guy! :P This isn't a good reason digital is not convenient. With the right discipline and backup setup, it is much simpler to back up a digital library than a pile of discs and to stay in control of your ownership.

Not redownload from the web, from the pc. It feels like downloading lol. Shitty usb.

I backed up up all my save files, the ones that were allowed to be copied. I didn't bother with an external HDD to make full system backups of a frigging console. Do you honestly do that every week or month? I have an external mirror drive for my pc, good enough I hope. I keep the important stuff (pictures, home videos) on SSD cards in a fire proof box and on a laptop for easy carry out. Yet how long do ssd cards last :/

walsufnir said:
I once did a nice rant about Blu-ray.
Why are they bad?
Interactive Java stuff... I want to see the damn movie, nothing more!
"Extras" Yeah, give me the trailer of the movie I just watched in polish! Talking about wasting size...
Region locks! Can't believe they are still doing this...
But to add to the region crap, several versions for one movie exist in one region. Why not make one "EU" disc with all languages? No, because they want you to spend more money, if you are German, of course. You find the same movie in France for less money but it only has French, Spanish and English language and subtitle.
Really, Blu-Ray is so bad, in my opinion... Yes, picture quality is unrivaled currently, but this is just a matter of time.

Yeah the DRM is a real buzz kill, it got to the point where having to deal with HDCP, Cineva and all that other crap resulted in me eventually throwing the Blu-ray player into the bin, didn't help I couldn't play newer Blu-ray titles as there were no firmware updates for my player that supported the newer DRM schemes.

So... I built a HTPC, use AnyDVD HD to circumvent the never-ending advertising, DRM and other garbage and it's been completely trouble free, drop the disc in, movie starts playing instantly.
And thanks to the Graphics processor, it improves the image quality too.

Ultimatly, I would love to see someone do what iTunes did for music and Steam did for gaming but for movies instead, even if the download is 50Gb per movie, it would be worth it.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

rccsetzer said:
Arkaign said:
Add to that the fact that streaming media looks like hot garbage compared to a good bd on home theatre.

And a few selected people are able to distinguish that. This is the problem.

no I think most people can tell the difference on a home theatre, the issue is people are watching movies on laptops and tablets which you comment it true, its hard to tell a difference.

I like physical media because I am not reliant on my internet connection.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Around the Network

I own ONE Blu-Ray.

And absolutely no devices that play it.

I only own it because it was sold with a DVD-version of the same film inside the box for free, and the whole thing was only $4 more than had I gotten the DVD alone.

spurgeonryan said:
I still buy DvDs. I do not care about the upgrade blu Rays provide. I cannot even spell them correctly. I wonder if this is the case with many? Not like the vhs-dvd upgrade we got a decade or so ago.

I think this may have been a factor, "BluRay" was a poorly thought out name, if Sony expected it to be adopted as "the new DVD".
Funnily, Toshiba's HD-DVD may have been better in that department, had all it's stars aligned to win the format war instead of BR.
BluRay always came off as some wonky Sony marketting ploy that is almost embarassing to refer to by name.

VitroBahllee said:
WTF! If "Good enough" is good enough, why such hate for the Xbox One and its lower resolutions?
People on here really don't care about image quality? Could have FOOLED ME in all the X1 related threads.
But if it's about movies, then SCREW resolution, quality, color-depth, etc. Just 'good enough' is fine.
I don't get people.

Uh... Congrats on reading comprehensin failure. 
The post you are complaining about were in fact just making a realistic assessment of mass market tastes,
and the author most certainly would themselves complain about said masses' low standards,
although with some level of maturity they may have already come to terms with that being how reality works.
Indeed MS is aware of the same thing, which is why they acknowledged (obliquely) short comings of XBone architecture (/DRM),
but stated they felt the mass market didn't care about details like that, and were happy to lap up whatever they are served.

KylieDog said:
ICStats said:
KylieDog said:

Are you purposely being obtuse?

No, I just think lists like that are missing that DVD is no longer fit for purpose.  It was succeeded by a technology fit for modern purpose 8 years ago.

DVD no longer fit for purpose, yet HD streaming which is on par with an upscaled DVD is killing bluray.  Seems preferable and acceptable for most people.

- HD streaming > upscaled DVD in most quality comparisons.  They're not really equivalent, so you can't conclude DVD is preferable and acceptable by HD streaming success.

- Blu-ray is still growing not dying, so I think killing is a bit strong.  I'd say both Blu-ray and HD streaming are becoming more mainstream.

My 8th gen collection

Audio on Netflix is god freaking awful. Amazon audio is better. I even saw that vhs Dolby is decent though. DVD is low resolution but has good audio. Bluray is superb.

As more people drop old crap TVs, bluray will continue to slowly grow. I also expect new releases to get more affordable. I think $12.99 to $16.99 will become the standard.