By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's in a 'bag of hurt' because of Blu-ray

tiffac said:
VanceIX said:
tiffac said:
Well good for you guys in 1st world countries if physical media dies, bad for us 3rd world countries with f@cked up internet infrastructure and services.

Can't these games just fit a microSD or something instead of a disc base media?

50gb of game would need a 64gb microSD, which are ungodly expensive. 

But developers rarely use 50GB space anyway, surely there is other cheap alternative to Blu Ray that won't let quality suffer?

Digital download, and that's it. To get any type of acceptable speed you would need flash memory (which is expensive) or blu-ray (which isn't quite as expensive, but still kinda expensive). If you assume most games this gen will be ~25gb, you would need 32gb of flash memory to cover that, and SD cards of that size are around $20. A single blu-ray disc costs around $1. That's $19 more you'll have to pay to have flash memory media.

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Around the Network
NiKKoM said:
Consumers changed over time.. Average joe doesn't need to own a movie anymore.. They watch it 1 time and are fine with that.. Price and quality for dvd and streaming is prefectly suited for that.. And with streaming it adds the advantage of no need to have space to store them.. There is no need for them to have an infinite playable superior picture and sound version lying around in the living room when you watch it 1 time... It doesn't change the story of the movie

This a million times. I remember having tons of VHS and DVDs as kid which I eventually just throw them out because there was no need for me to own them anymore...if I want to watch those movies I would just go to internet and problem solved, all those movies were a waste of space. 

The market of people who wants to own a physical copy of a movie will become very small, to the point of just becoming a niche market. Same will most likely happen with games in the long run.

Nintendo and PC gamer

There will always be a market for Blu-Ray as long as digital version of movies aren't available in all countries and as long as Blu-Ray generates as much cash as it does for studios.

VitroBahllee said:
WTF! If "Good enough" is good enough, why such hate for the Xbox One and its lower resolutions? People on here really don't care about image quality? Could have FOOLED ME in all the X1 related threads.

But if it's about movies, then SCREW resolution, quality, color-depth, etc. Just 'good enough' is fine.

I don't get people.

Just want you to know that I'm with you on this. I love Blu Ray. I love 1080p on a high quality TV. I think a big reason behind Blu Ray not doing well is the price - not that people don't want it.

Soonerman said:
I think a lot of people here that are in "support" of Blu Ray are failing to see that it is the mass market that is not adopting BR. My parents are a great example of that. They have Blu-Ray players in every room of the house. They have not bought a movie on BR at all. When they go to RedBox, they rent a regular DVD. And ironically enough, my parents enjoy Netflix and Amazon Prime and enjoy the benefits of streaming. So sucks for Sony that BR did not take off the way DVD did. Despite its advantages, BR is not going to take over like DVD did. Streaming is the way to go because the mass market is money conscious and they will not buy a $5k TV to watch BluRays. They're more than happy witha 40" HDTV to watch online through streaming or a regular DVD.

I think it's more about convenience than money. Whenever I have plans with friends to watch a movie, even though they have several dvd's, we always end up using netflix because it's much easier. You have many options in front of you and even recommendations. It's just easier than going through one's entire dvd collection. And one can use a single netflix account anywhere he goes. Why rent or even buy movies when you can watch them instantly and never misplace them?(There've been several cases where a dvd has been put in the wrong case and it takes ages to find it). 

Around the Network

to sum up my thoughts on this, I could use one word: "unfortunate"

NiKKoM said:
Consumers changed over time.. Average joe doesn't need to own a movie anymore.. They watch it 1 time and are fine with that.. Price and quality for dvd and streaming is prefectly suited for that.. And with streaming it adds the advantage of no need to have space to store them.. There is no need for them to have an infinite playable superior picture and sound version lying around in the living room when you watch it 1 time... It doesn't change the story of the movie

I don't know if consumers changed that much over time. Sure rental has been replaced by streaming, which also took away the sell through of new and used dvds at rental stores. Yet the number of actual movie collectors, I doubt that has changed. Blu-ray sales are still growing. If more people nowadays don't care about owning movies, then shouldn't it be declining in line with dvd sales?

I didn't start collecting until I was into my twenties. I didn't see the point back then either. You can always rent it again, make a copy, or watch on tv. Nowadays I like to get the experience as close to how it was intended in the cinema (well apart from 3D yuck) Unfortunately my local cinema doesn't play any movie I want at my convenience, my home theater does.

I like to watch a movie multiple times. Your understanding and interpretation of the story does change (well maybe not for your average blockbuster superhero flick). Extras and audio commentary are a nice bonus too for great movies. I watched the whole 13 hour audio commentary of lotr extended cut, very cool insight in how the movie came together. But yes, I know I'm not a casual movie watcher.

And really how much space does it take. The average bookshelf holds 60 to 100 blu-rays.

SvennoJ said:

I don't know if consumers changed that much over time. Sure rental has been replaced by streaming, which also took away the sell through of new and used dvds at rental stores. Yet the number of actual movie collectors, I doubt that has changed. Blu-ray sales are still growing. If more people nowadays don't care about owning movies, then shouldn't it be declining in line with dvd sales?

it actually did change a lot in just 1 year.. just look at the numbers how it changed in one year:

Bluray sales actually only grew 4,2% in 2013 from 2012... it pretty much stagnated... While DVD dropped 14.2%...
http://www.deadline.com/2014/01/with-anemic-blu-ray-disc-sales-home-entertainment-grew-modestly-in-2013/

Even movie studios are releasing digital timed exclusives meaning that the digital version is available weeks before the disc version.. they understand the change that most people don't need and want superior high quality.. otherwise we would have had timed bluray exclusives.

Disneys "Frozen" was available as Digitaly on February 25th but the DVD, Blu-ray wasn't available until March 18th.. thats 3 weeks! its saying a lot how the market changed in a short time

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Richard_Feynman said:
VitroBahllee said:
WTF! If "Good enough" is good enough, why such hate for the Xbox One and its lower resolutions? People on here really don't care about image quality? Could have FOOLED ME in all the X1 related threads.

But if it's about movies, then SCREW resolution, quality, color-depth, etc. Just 'good enough' is fine.

I don't get people.

Just want you to know that I'm with you on this. I love Blu Ray. I love 1080p on a high quality TV. I think a big reason behind Blu Ray not doing well is the price - not that people don't want it.

I'm with you both.

kitler53 said:
yeah, blu ray was really a bad investment.

i have maybe 400 dvds and about 20 blu ray. blu ray (or HD content in general) asking for a premium price is just stupid imo. $20 for a dvd but $30 for the same movie on blu ray. fuck that shit. i like the prettier picture but that is a hefty premium.

throw on some really nice convenience to digital and my transition was fast and complete. i don't buy any physical media for anything anymore (movie, tv, games, or music).

1080 was a was a real loser financially speaking. every time i see 4k i just roll my eyes and wonder why no one learns a fucking lesson from their failures.

Where the hell do you live that blu ray costs $30.00!!!?  I can go out and buy most new movies on blue ray with a digital copy and a dvd copy included for under $20.00.  Digital is convenient but the sound quality doesn't come close to blu ray.  When you have at least a 5.1 sound system like I do, it matters.