By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's in a 'bag of hurt' because of Blu-ray

VitroBahllee said:
Why the hell are people arguing that BluRay isn't an improvement over DVD?!?!? What a waste of time! Why are you so heavily invested in convincing the world your complete lack of concern for visual and audio quality is justified?! Just say you're comfortable watching subpar versions of movies and that quality doesn't matter to you and be done with it. No one is going to judge you for not caring about the quality with which you view movies, at least not compared to how it's hard not to judge you for trying to convince people with even halfway decent home theater setups that DVDs are almost as good as blurays.

I've spent maybe $1000 all together on my home theater and watching a DVD looks like ASS compared to bluray. Watching streaming looks like RELATIVELY STINKY BUTT compared to bluray. And watching blu ray looks like BEAUTY. Sound wise.... let's not even start.

bingo

Around the Network
VitroBahllee said:
Why the hell are people arguing that BluRay isn't an improvement over DVD?!?!? What a waste of time! Why are you so heavily invested in convincing the world your complete lack of concern for visual and audio quality is justified?! Just say you're comfortable watching subpar versions of movies and that quality doesn't matter to you and be done with it. No one is going to judge you for not caring about the quality with which you view movies, at least not compared to how it's hard not to judge you for trying to convince people with even halfway decent home theater setups that DVDs are almost as good as blurays.

I've spent maybe $1000 all together on my home theater and watching a DVD looks like ASS compared to bluray. Watching streaming looks like RELATIVELY STINKY BUTT compared to bluray. And watching blu ray looks like BEAUTY. Sound wise.... let's not even start.

Sorry, I believe it's a misunderstanding. Nobody is saying it's not an improvement. It's a huge improvement. It is just that people don't care about that improvement so much.

You have spent $1000 and of course you expect only the best, and BD is the best. 

But I have spent $0 on improvement, I watch streamed films and am completely fine with it. Sure, it would be nicer to have a better quality, but I am not willing to spend money on it. 

I don't have the best, but to me it's good enough. But again, I'm not a huge movie fan. I watch a few movies a month, and stream some House of Cards, Sons of Anarchy and similar stuff.

I think a lot of people here that are in "support" of Blu Ray are failing to see that it is the mass market that is not adopting BR. My parents are a great example of that. They have Blu-Ray players in every room of the house. They have not bought a movie on BR at all. When they go to RedBox, they rent a regular DVD. And ironically enough, my parents enjoy Netflix and Amazon Prime and enjoy the benefits of streaming. So sucks for Sony that BR did not take off the way DVD did. Despite its advantages, BR is not going to take over like DVD did. Streaming is the way to go because the mass market is money conscious and they will not buy a $5k TV to watch BluRays. They're more than happy witha 40" HDTV to watch online through streaming or a regular DVD.

KylieDog said:
Arkaign said:

If everybody thought like you did, we'd still be on N64 and VHS. And with 4K becoming the new standard over the next ten years combined with crappy internet in most places + new data caps and stagnant internet providers/death of net neutrality (will result in huge price hikes for streaming) :

DVD will be pushed off a cliff, BD will continue to slowly grow. The market is just getting more diverse.

You do realize that right now there are countless people online who say things like "That Xbox One looks no better than Xbox 360", or "Playstation 4 looks no different than Playstation 3". Just as they did last time, and the time before that. The amount of people with poor vision or bad AV setups doesn't make them right. Justin Bieber sells tens of millions, doesn't make him a quality act either.

There will always be better and inferior options and platforms.

Net prices will not hike, that is paranoia.  If people really cared for bluray quality they wouldn't be favouring streaming movies which even when listed as 'HD' are more like upscalled DVD quality.

DVD offered over VHS:

- No more 4:3
- No more black bars widescreen
- No more picture degradation from use.
- No needing rewind or fast forward
- Chapter selection
- Optional multi language Subtitles
- Multiple audio language
- Lots of extra features
- Better audio
- Clearer picture (looks like ass on big HDTV)
- Less space for collection

Bluray offers over DVD
- Clearer picture (looks great on big HDTV)
- Better audio
- 3D (which is a flop at home, lets face it)

Clarified that for you.

My 8th gen collection

KylieDog said:
Arkaign said:

If everybody thought like you did, we'd still be on N64 and VHS. And with 4K becoming the new standard over the next ten years combined with crappy internet in most places + new data caps and stagnant internet providers/death of net neutrality (will result in huge price hikes for streaming) :

DVD will be pushed off a cliff, BD will continue to slowly grow. The market is just getting more diverse.

You do realize that right now there are countless people online who say things like "That Xbox One looks no better than Xbox 360", or "Playstation 4 looks no different than Playstation 3". Just as they did last time, and the time before that. The amount of people with poor vision or bad AV setups doesn't make them right. Justin Bieber sells tens of millions, doesn't make him a quality act either.

There will always be better and inferior options and platforms.

Net prices will not hike, that is paranoia.  If people really cared for bluray quality they wouldn't be favouring streaming movies which even when listed as 'HD' are more like upscalled DVD quality.

DVD offered over VHS:

- No more 4:3
- No more black bars widescreen
- No more picture degradation from use.
- No needing rewind or fast forward
- Chapter selection
- Optional multi language Subtitles
- Multiple audio language
- Lots of extra features
- Better audio
- Clearer picture
- Less space for collection

Bluray offers over DVD
- Clearer picture
- Better audio
- 3D (which is a flop at home, lets face it)

DVD was worth the upgrade to most people, Bluray isn't.

You shouldn't bring up gaming consoles, aside from you point not making a good argument they are an entirely different thing to movies, you don't interact with or control movies.

Net prices hiking is not paranoia, it's reality. Have you not been paying attention to SOPA/CISPA, and the death of net neutrality? How about the Verizon vs. Netflix faceoff?

What we have is :

A government fundamentally 'for sale to the highest bidder' thanks to PAC/SuperPAC/etc. To deny this is the very basis of insanity.

At the same time, the corporate stooges at the big ISPs, now that they've cracked net neutrality, are free to give certain content higher priority, and competing content LESS priority. They've already said for business purposes that tiered data is their goal, because selling data is so much more profitable in their mobile plans.

Basically, the mobile data plans (where they've already all but killed truly unlimited data, and where 4G/LTE is so drowned in high rates it's insane) is where we're headed for home/business internet rates.

You will buy a plan. It will come with X GB/month for X price. Overages will incur heavy fees. And to add insult to injury, not all of your content will be delivered at a reasonable speed. Have Verizon but want to stream from a company that is a rival to Verizon? Have fun with heavily throttled speeds.

I'm not a prophet, I just read Barron's, the Wall Street Journal, Forbes, and keep up with financial news and tech news. This should be a surprise to exactly NOBODY unless they're just not paying attention.

We live in the UCSA. The United Corporate States of America. Where corporations are 'citizens', and where unlimited political contributions are now considered protected 'free speech'. Sorry to break it to you, but things are about to get MUCH MUCH MUCH worse.

Around the Network
Soonerman said:
I think a lot of people here that are in "support" of Blu Ray are failing to see that it is the mass market that is not adopting BR. My parents are a great example of that. They have Blu-Ray players in every room of the house. They have not bought a movie on BR at all. When they go to RedBox, they rent a regular DVD. And ironically enough, my parents enjoy Netflix and Amazon Prime and enjoy the benefits of streaming. So sucks for Sony that BR did not take off the way DVD did. Despite its advantages, BR is not going to take over like DVD did. Streaming is the way to go because the mass market is money conscious and they will not buy a $5k TV to watch BluRays. They're more than happy witha 40" HDTV to watch online through streaming or a regular DVD.

My point exactly. I just wish that people here don't get too upset about it, because they are 100% in the right, it's just that unfortunately they are a minority.

A must read for anyone who thinks that we're not in for a load of dog crap as far as the future of the internet :

http://kotaku.com/net-neutrality-and-gaming-things-can-get-a-lot-worse-1507677978

Burek said:
Soonerman said:

My point exactly. I just wish that people here don't get too upset about it, because they are 100% in the right, it's just that unfortunately they are a minority.

I get what you guys are saying, and definitely not trying to convince the masses: the thing is you don't need a $5k tv to notice a difference. Regular blu rays on Amazon are dirt cheap, too. It just kind of sucks most people haven't given themselves the chance to try, because the market is doing worse than it should and people who are excited about the higher quality are kind of forced to suffer because it isn't catching on as much as it should: not because the average people have tried it and don't care, but because the average person isn't really even understanding how to hook their TV up properly.

It would be less frustrating if people were consciously rejecting bluray's quality, but you're seeing people with inexpensive yet 1080p TVs and bluray players continue to get DVDs because they don't even know the difference. Paying an extra $5 on average for a movie to get the 1080p, crystal clear sound version when folks already have a nice TV should be a nobrainer. 

My wife's grandparents have a nice 47" 1080p TV and an HD cable package they pay a huge monthly rate for... and connect to the TV with composite cables they have had lying around their house since the 1980's. A $5 cable could improve their viewing experience tremendously. It's not that they reject HD or that they wouldn't care if they switched (they'd probably go: "Oh! That looks nice!" if it was switched, think they didn't care that much, and then have a hard time watching SD after a month if someone gave them a new cable) it's that they literally don't understand what needs to be done to get the most out of their TV and they aren't going to bother to find out.

I'm going to try to take a cable next time we visit.

That sucks, I personally prefer physical media whenever possible. Streams don't compare to disc, and I'd rather have my own personal library.