By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's in a 'bag of hurt' because of Blu-ray

Smart man :)

It's sad, because even some nice Plasma panels were sold in that way. So you get really sharp colors and deep blacks, along with smooth motion, but the resolution is all whacked.

1080p native is where it's at, for games and movies. Well, for movies that can really benefit. Watching something with astonishingly good photography and camera work (Inception, The Dark Knight, etc) is a treat on the right screen for sure. Probably 9 out of 10 movies I don't care that much, but it really helps with the right ones.

I guess you could say the same about gaming. Tetris @ 1080p? Who cares. Just as fun at 320x200. BF4 @ 1080p or beyond on PC? Awesomesauce.

If more wasn't better we wouldn't even have next-gen consoles ;) Let's just play everything at 600p!

Yeah 1080p to 720p is night and day on a game for me but sub-1080p for a movie for the most part I do not care.

A few years ago when I started PC gaming I realized that resolution is pretty much the end all when it comes to graphics. 1080p at medium settings looks better than 720p on ultra settings for the most part. 

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
Arkaign said:
KylieDog said:

Not a leap like VHS to DVD.

The resolution increase is actually much larger from DVD to BD, and DVD on my TV looks about like VHS to me. It somehow manages to be both muddy AND blocky.

Funny enough, people often said the exact same nonsense about DVD when it came out.

"Oh, VHS looks just as good as DVD".

"Really?, what TV and sound system do you have?"

"My RCA 21" from 1987, I just run the sound through my TV"

"ooooooookay then"

Sorry but you're talking nonsense.  VHS was either 4:3 ratio or had massive back bars if you wanted widescreen.  VHS also suffered degradation so people had a good reason to buy their movies again. 

Sure Bluray is better than DVD, but not in ways most people care about, unlike VHS to DVD.

If everybody thought like you did, we'd still be on N64 and VHS. And with 4K becoming the new standard over the next ten years combined with crappy internet in most places + new data caps and stagnant internet providers/death of net neutrality (will result in huge price hikes for streaming) :

DVD will be pushed off a cliff, BD will continue to slowly grow. The market is just getting more diverse.

You do realize that right now there are countless people online who say things like "That Xbox One looks no better than Xbox 360", or "Playstation 4 looks no different than Playstation 3". Just as they did last time, and the time before that. The amount of people with poor vision or bad AV setups doesn't make them right. Justin Bieber sells tens of millions, doesn't make him a quality act either.

There will always be better and inferior options and platforms.

Surprising to hear lots of people keep buying DVDs. I invested in a top 65" TV, speakers, receiver etc. Investing in DVDs would be a weird dis-economy. It's night and day to me.

My 8th gen collection

tiffac said:
Well good for you guys in 1st world countries if physical media dies, bad for us 3rd world countries with f@cked up internet infrastructure and services.

Can't these games just fit a microSD or something instead of a disc base media?

I see your point, but I wouldn't consider the Philippines a third world country. In fact the Philippines is classified as a "newly industrialized country" (NIC) along with 9 other countries: Brazil, China, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Mexico, South Africa, Thailand, and Turkey. That means those countries are close to being considered "developed".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newly_industrialized_country

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Developed_country

This console generation you shouldn't have to worry about having to use digital media exclusively. In 2020, or whenever the next gen starts, the internet infrastructure in the Philippines will likely be far superior to what it is now.

"On my business card I am a corporate president. In my mind I am a game developer. But in my heart I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

ICStats said:
Surprising to hear lots of people keep buying DVDs. I invested in a top 65" TV, speakers, receiver etc. Investing in DVDs would be a weird dis-economy. It's night and day to me.

Same here. It's so painful to watch, especially on large TVs. And the average TV size for living rooms in the U.S. will most likely be between 55"-65".

http://www.displaysearchblog.com/2012/10/average-size-of-lcd-tv-panels-increases-by-2-inches-in-12-months/

http://www.displaysearch.com/cps/rde/xchg/displaysearch/hs.xsl/monthly_tft_lcd_shipment_database.asp

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Around the Network

The infrastructure may improve but we're actually regressing in data caps and tiered pricing. One of the big isps already leaked that they'd like something like : $60 for 5gb, $5/GB for overage, which would destroy any hope of really going all online unless you want to spend $300+/mo for internet alone.

Maybe publishers were too greedy in Europe / Asia with Blu-ray pricing? It's not that expensive in the US.

Check for example The Hobbit Desolation of Smaug on Amazon US. Blu-ray + DVD + Digital, New from $14.88. DVD from $14.95. So you can get BD & DVD & Digital for about the same as the DVD alone. How smart would it be to get the DVD version?

For rentals here RedBox is $1.50 for Blu-ray versus $1.00 for DVD.

Compare to taking the family to the movies, $40 + popcorn & drinks? Nope... rent the Blu-ray.

My 8th gen collection

Arkaign said:
The infrastructure may improve but we're actually regressing in data caps and tiered pricing. One of the big isps already leaked that they'd like something like : $60 for 5gb, $5/GB for overage, which would destroy any hope of really going all online unless you want to spend $300+/mo for internet.

OMFG, that's horrible. Isn't there any possibility of consumer revolt, boycott or something? I guess we Europeans should count ourselves lucky. My Internet speeds are not the greatest, especially when it comes to upload, but we do get unlimited data everywhere. 

I have a fixed line, unlimited internet, and a premium TV service for some $55 when converted (€40). I just get everything digitally, DL all the games from the store. I believe it's been at least 2 years since I held a disc (movie or game) in my hand.

This what I've written may be the reason why the article says the biggest losses are in Europe.

Why the hell are people arguing that BluRay isn't an improvement over DVD?!?!? What a waste of time! Why are you so heavily invested in convincing the world your complete lack of concern for visual and audio quality is justified?! Just say you're comfortable watching subpar versions of movies and that quality doesn't matter to you and be done with it. No one is going to judge you for not caring about the quality with which you view movies, at least not compared to how it's hard not to judge you for trying to convince people with even halfway decent home theater setups that DVDs are almost as good as blurays.

I've spent maybe $1000 all together on my home theater and watching a DVD looks like ASS compared to bluray. Watching streaming looks like RELATIVELY STINKY BUTT compared to bluray. And watching blu ray looks like BEAUTY. Sound wise.... let's not even start.

DialgaMarine said:
Yeah, there's all this all this hooting and cheering for physical media to go away until people finally realize that they can no longer access content that they paid money for because it's no longer available digitally.

Yep.