By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's in a 'bag of hurt' because of Blu-ray

NiKKoM said:
SvennoJ said:

I don't know if consumers changed that much over time. Sure rental has been replaced by streaming, which also took away the sell through of new and used dvds at rental stores. Yet the number of actual movie collectors, I doubt that has changed. Blu-ray sales are still growing. If more people nowadays don't care about owning movies, then shouldn't it be declining in line with dvd sales?

it actually did change a lot in just 1 year.. just look at the numbers how it changed in one year:

Bluray sales actually only grew 4,2% in 2013 from 2012... it pretty much stagnated... While DVD dropped 14.2%...
http://www.deadline.com/2014/01/with-anemic-blu-ray-disc-sales-home-entertainment-grew-modestly-in-2013/

Even movie studios are releasing digital timed exclusives meaning that the digital version is available weeks before the disc version.. they understand the change that most people don't need and want superior high quality.. otherwise we would have had timed bluray exclusives.

Disneys "Frozen" was available as Digitaly on February 25th but the DVD, Blu-ray wasn't available until March 18th.. thats 3 weeks! its saying a lot how the market changed in a short time

That trend has been going on for a while, biggest shift is from rental and DVD sell through at rental places.
Movies being available first digitally is just another trick to get more money. It's even in the article you linked.

Still, strides in digital-movie sales are encouraging to studios. And a primary reason for the accelerating growth in online sales is the widespread adoption of a new release window marketed as "Digital HD." For one to four weeks before a movie becomes available on DVD or to rent online, studios make new movies available to purchase from digital stores like Apple Inc.

Although some people are now buying movies online who might otherwise have bought a DVD or Blu-ray disc, studio executives said the biggest change is people who would have rented a movie but now, unwilling to wait, are buying it instead.

They understand that people are unwilling to wait. Same reason why home movies don't release alongside cinema versions.

Blu-ray sales percentage is still climbing, although the physical pie is shrinking rather rapidly. And with tricks like timed releases studios are helping it along. And sure why not, $19.99 for a digital release instead of $14.98 for the Blu-ray. The digital release gives them a lot more profit.

Around the Network
KylieDog said:
ICStats said:
KylieDog said:

Net prices will not hike, that is paranoia.  If people really cared for bluray quality they wouldn't be favouring streaming movies which even when listed as 'HD' are more like upscalled DVD quality.

DVD offered over VHS:

- No more 4:3
- No more black bars widescreen
- No more picture degradation from use.
- No needing rewind or fast forward
- Chapter selection
- Optional multi language Subtitles
- Multiple audio language
- Lots of extra features
- Better audio
- Clearer picture (looks like ass on big HDTV)
- Less space for collection

Bluray offers over DVD
- Clearer picture (looks great on big HDTV)
- Better audio
- 3D (which is a flop at home, lets face it)

Clarified that for you.

Are you purposely being obtuse?

No, I just think lists like that are missing that DVD is no longer fit for purpose.  It was succeeded by a technology fit for modern purpose 8 years ago.

Anyway, as was already mentioned I'm not sure why some people are interested in putting Blu-ray down.  I'm pretty pumped about digital too, but I don't feel the need to put Blu-ray down, it's still the best allround option right now.

Nielsen publishes weekly stats for US.  http://forum.digital-digest.com/f145/nielsen-videoscan-home-media-magazine-blu-ray-dvd-hd-dvd-stats-updated-weekly-86912-35.html

Blu-ray has increased in market share bit by bit, in some weeks e.g. March 22nd up to 42% of the market (over $101 million).  Blu-ray has a very good market share for new releases, compared to DVD that has a lot of ambient sales from the older, much larger catalog of movies and TV shows.

My 8th gen collection

Why are some people in such a hurry to lose out on physical media? The quality is better and you aren't tied to any specific service (streaming etc.) and you own it for life and if you don't want it any more you can recoup a portion of the cost by reselling it.

Not to mention with the way Netflix is being shaken down by the ISPs the cost of streaming is just going to rise.

DialgaMarine said:
Yeah, there's all this all this hooting and cheering for physical media to go away until people finally realize that they can no longer access content that they paid money for because it's no longer available digitally.

Physical media for movies and music doesn't need to exist anymore. I rather have them as digital files.

Games are another story, but emulation can solve that problem.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
DialgaMarine said:
Yeah, there's all this all this hooting and cheering for physical media to go away until people finally realize that they can no longer access content that they paid money for because it's no longer available digitally.

Physical media for movies and music doesn't need to exist anymore. I rather have them as digital files.

I concur. Physical media doesn't need to exist anymore, at-least in 1st world countries with decent broadband infrustructure.

However, here in Australia we don't really have any decent digital services to take advantage of, nothing to the extent of Netflix or Hulu that's for sure, so the only option that people *really* have is to pirate or spend $30-$40 on a Blu-ray release or stick with DVD which is usually $20-$30 a movie, which is hardly convenient.

I love my music library being digital and online, I love my video games being digital and online (via Steam) I wan't the same thing with movies and TV shows, cheaper pricing wouldn't go astray either.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
DialgaMarine said:

Why? There is only 1 online service that provides exact blu-ray quality with all the extras, yet it's more expensive than physical disks and you're tied to their system. For example Gravity: $25.99 while the Blu-ray disk is $24.99 on Amazon or $18.99 if you shop around. (I wanted to take The wolf of wall street again as example, but they don't even have that available) Plus you don't need to spend $4000 on the Kaleidescope system to watch it.

Btw the download is 41.5GB, with my 80GB data cap I don't even have the spare bandwidth to download one movie. So tell me, how are physical disks not needed anymore?

Shadow1980, best post in the whole thread. Echoes perfectly what I feel, and this coming from someone who does NOT have an internet traffic cap - I've had months with over 1 Tb Upload / Download...for 10 Euro / Month -.
So, if you don't live in Romania, go ahead, pray for the death of the physical. Pray that your ISPs won't catch on to the fact that you don't have ANYWHERE else to turn for your entertainment in your "developed countries" and enjoy being skinned alive for the right to download 100 Gb per month. Because I'm sure they won't be stabbing one another in the back just to offer you the most traffic and the lowest prices.

Slippery slope is slippery.

rccsetzer said:
Arkaign said:
Add to that the fact that streaming media looks like hot garbage compared to a good bd on home theatre.

And a few selected people are able to distinguish that. This is the problem.

I honestly don't know how someone can't tell the difference.  Sometimes the streaming is incredibly good (House of Cards on Netflix), but usually it just looks like a joke compared to BD or a downloaded HD video....

Shadow1980 said:

Wasn't physical media supposed to be dead already? ....

Great post.

I still buy CDs, although through Amazon nowadays since the shelf space in my local store only has the disposable pop new releases left. My wife's first iPod died, new one she always forgets to charge and at some point it screws it up and you have to redownload everything. Same with my parents in law, always have to come over to fix the damn mp3 player. I simply play my CDs which always work.

When my ps3 died, it took me a couple of months just to redownload all the psn stuff with my bandwidth cap.

And books, I thought about buying an e-reader at some point. Then I picked up my book again, browsed back and forth to the nicely detailed map while reading the final battle of the wheel of time. Feeling the texture of the paper between my fingers and see the sunlight bounce of the pages. Checking how far I am by the thickness of the book. I stare enough at screens all day, no e-reader for me.

The real story here isn't physical discs disappearing in favor of digital downloads.

The real story here is the fact that BluRay, in spite it technically having greater video quality and higher disc capacity, has never truly taken over DVDs in the home video market. In fact, while BluRay has become semi-prolific in American homes, I'd be willing to bet more people still own just a DVD player over either both, or only BluRay. DVD sales are still fairly healthy, and DVDs copies of just about every single home video release that comes out still exist. I think Sony was really expecting BR to take over DVDs the way DVDs took over VHS. The difference being, it's still pretty much the same medium, and unlike the tape to disc jump, the benefits of BR for most casual/regular owners, are basically just garnish.

So maybe they bet too heavily on the BR format. No surprise there, I seem to remember them betting pretty heavy on UMDs as well. DVDs still stick around, because for a lot of people, they're more than enough. *shrugs*