By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - No E3 Conference for Nintendo this year - Mistake or not?

Should there be a Nintendo E3 conference?

Yes, absolutely, crazy for not bothering! 354 50.79%

No, they don't need one and the ND suffices 162 23.24%

I'll wait to see how it all goes 178 25.54%

Total:694
RolStoppable said:
Pavolink said:

I'm not saying Wii U sales are bad only because this mistake, but by a big amount of mistakes, like not having a conference.

Having a conference will not only create excitement, but also marketing. And we know consoles even with a poor library can sell only by hype (PS4).

The Wii U featured in two E3 conferences, so your assertion that conferences create excitement is clearly wrong. One of the key differences between the Wii U and PS4 is that the latter doesn't defy its audience's expectations, but rather does pretty much the complete opposite. The Wii U is a piece of trash, that's the root cause of all failure. Which means that it doesn't matter what Nintendo does, the Wii U was and is poised to fail. The only answer to prevent the Wii U failure is that the system should have never existed in the first place.

Tell that to Twilight Princess. A game announced in a real conference for their worst seller homeconosle (at that time) which ended on the Wii at launch and generate enough hype for many of us to buy their new hardware.

And even sales proves it: 7 million. Those sales won't even would have been this good if it was announced in a Nintendo Direct that only you, me and few more knows.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network
Pavolink said:
Smeags said:
There will be an E3 conference... just not live...

Whether it'll succeed or fail has never been dependent on whether it's live or digital, but about the content they show for the fans.

Sure, we had great live conferences like 2006 and 2010... but we also had less-than-great (that's putting it lightly) conferences with 2008 and 2012. Being live or not had very little to do with their successes and failures. Nintendo will impress with new features, games, and announcements, not CEO and talking heads going on about sales, ecosystems, and other buzzwords.

And with a digital conference, the only technical issue they have to worry about is their live-feed (which *was* piss poor last year. Hopefully they'll have that fixed this time... >_>). No more crashing games (Assassin's Creed at the PS conference) or broken controls due to interference (Skyward Sword). Nintendo will show us exactly what they want to show us, and they'll succeed or fail based off of that.

Last year they announced the new 3D Mario and the new Mario Kart, both HD for Wii U. Did you feel the hype? Because I don't.

I felt hype for Mario Kart because the trailer exceeded my expectations.  I felt no hype and a little rage because SM3DW looked awful to me.  But much of that was do to the uninspired name for the game, the very weak trailer they showed and the laggy, poor quality feed that made the game look like a 3DS title.  If they let Reggie to more talking, have a more flashy presentation and boost the quality/kill the lag it could boos the hype levels.... as long as the games themeselves look good.

TheLastStarFighter said:
I'll have to wait and see. Another ND like last year would be a disaster. This "Digital Event" might be really good. Or it might suck. It really depends on the format. It needs to be something that builds hype, streams well and that caters to media outlets. If it does these things, great... it doesn't need to be at the theater. If it fails, than it is another stupid decision by Nintendo.

Pretty much this. I have a feeling that they won't be able to deliver, but only time can tell.

That's it I surrender my Nintendo fanboy title. I'm going where the good stuff is, I'm going with Sony.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Pavolink said:

Those sales won't even would have been this good if it was announced in a Nintendo Direct that only you, me and few more knows.

What? Info in a direct is covered by all major video game news sites, and big games are typically advertised beyond that. I personally don't think the fact that it was announced live on stage affected sales when it finally released and you have nothing but speculation to prove otherwise. 

Around the Network
Pavolink said:

Last year they announced the new 3D Mario and the new Mario Kart, both HD for Wii U. Did you feel the hype? Because I don't.

The SM3DW and Mario Kart 8 trailers didn't garner huge amounts of hype because... they weren't good trailers. They were introduction trailers that did not show us the best that these games had to offer. And that was defiitely Nintendo's fault, but not becaue they weren't live... but because they were poor trailers.

People were going on about how (based on the trailers) a mainline Sonic game finally looked better than a mainline Mario game (those were fun times...) It wasn't until the October 1st Trailer for SM3DW (which wasn't live either) to blow away folks (Hey, even you made a thread about it! :D) and the same went with Mario Kart 8, which really didn't impress people until the April 3rd Trailer, which once again blew people away (I'm using GAF because let's face it, VGC is terrible at hyping games... and yet we were still incredibly impressed!)

I only see Nintendo needing to improve their reveals... (although their X reveal was on point for sure... so maybe there's hope for them.), not that a non-"live" trailer increases the hype.

They never said that they would be doing another E3 Direct. Digital Event doesn't mean a Direct. It's obvious that they aren't doing a live conference, but the fact that they aren't calling it a Direct like they did last year means they are doing something else that's different from a Direct.

EDIT: Maybe not so disappointed.

RolStoppable said:
It's not a mistake.

If you aren't attending E3, both a conference and a Direct will be a stream to you. Additionally, the Direct last year cut out the business talk which a lot of gamers loathe so much and was shifted into seperate presentations for journalists and investors/analysts.

The only case I can make for it not being a mistake is that E3 has become a PlayStation and Xbox centric event. Nintendo does't need to compete with the likes of Assassin's Creed, Halo or God of War, because their audiences are different. Nintendo stands out like a sore thumb at E3 presentations. They cater to a more casual audience that won't even watch the conference. So why bother spend the money?

Well: it's also a huge mistake in that the covereage that they will be getting via their Direct (if they do one) won't be the same as if they were presenting at E3. Major publications outside of gaming write articles about E3. Major publications outside of gaming journalism will not be writing about Iwata's Vlog.

No conference again?! Booo..

Why do a conference when you're holding E3 at Bestbuy?