By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - No E3 Conference for Nintendo this year - Mistake or not?

Should there be a Nintendo E3 conference?

Yes, absolutely, crazy for not bothering! 354 50.79%

No, they don't need one and the ND suffices 162 23.24%

I'll wait to see how it all goes 178 25.54%

Total:694
Smeags said:
Pavolink said:

Last year they announced the new 3D Mario and the new Mario Kart, both HD for Wii U. Did you feel the hype? Because I don't.

The SM3DW and Mario Kart 8 trailers didn't garner huge amounts of hype because... they weren't good trailers. They were introduction trailers that did not show us the best that these games had to offer. And that was defiitely Nintendo's fault, but not becaue they weren't live... but because they were poor trailers.

People were going on about how (based on the trailers) a mainline Sonic game finally looked better than a mainline Mario game (those were fun times...) It wasn't until the October 1st Trailer for SM3DW (which wasn't live either) to blow away folks (Hey, even you made a thread about it! :D) and the same went with Mario Kart 8, which really didn't impress people until the April 3rd Trailer, which once again blew people away (I'm using GAF because let's face it, VGC is terrible at hyping games... and yet we were still incredibly impressed!)

I only see Nintendo needing to improve their reveals... (although their X reveal was on point for sure... so maybe there's hope for them.), not that a non-"live" trailer increases the hype.

TP was not even an introduction trailer, and we already know the epic reactions.

@sundin A lot of Sony/MS gamers bought a Wii and TP just because the hype. For some delivered and for other not.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network
Pavolink said:

Tell that to Twilight Princess. A game announced in a real conference for their worst seller homeconosle (at that time) which ended on the Wii at launch and generate enough hype for many of us to buy their new hardware.

And even sales proves it: 7 million. Those sales won't even would have been this good if it was announced in a Nintendo Direct that only you, me and few more knows.

Well, Pokemon X/Y was announced in a Nintendo Direct in January, and it's currently at 12 million+...despite being widely unknown to the whole world because it wasn't announced at E3. I don't think it's such a big deal, everything that's announced through the digital event will get media coverage anyway.

RolStoppable said:
Pavolink said:

Tell that to Twilight Princess. A game announced in a real conference for their worst seller homeconosle (at that time) which ended on the Wii at launch and generate enough hype for many of us to buy their new hardware.

And even sales proves it: 7 million. Those sales won't even would have been this good if it was announced in a Nintendo Direct that only you, me and few more knows.

The vast majority of gamers doesn't follow E3 live. What matters is whether or not a product is good, so the timing and place of the announcement is pretty much irrelevant. If it's something good, the word will inevitably spread. And Twilight Princess just so happened to be a good Zelda game. People read about it in magazines or heard about it from their friends (of which most didn't watch the E3 reveal). None of those people knew about those men with tears in their eyes at E3 2004. It didn't matter. You put way too much stock in the importance of E3.

Do you believe? Then I can't understand why TP peacing outsold SS with zero userbase. It has been proved, hell, even Iwata said that TP was the most hyped game of all time way before release. Do you believe that doesn't affect at sales?

How many times we have been proved that hype alone can sell a game? Hoy many went to buy Zelda at launch? Assassin's Creed? Call of Duty, GTA, Uncharted? Even TLOU without knowing about it sold good.

Importance of E3? Let see. Years ago Nintendo have their worst E3 conference in 2008. Most of you killed Cammie Dunaway because her fake smile. Yet, that year the Wii sold above 20m. Wow. And let's not forget next year.

Now the use the new format. Nintendo Direct. 3DS can't meet a modest forecast even with their impressive library.

they didn't say nintendo direct, they said DIGITAL EVENT, wich sounds much bigger than what they did last year.

I'm fine with it. The "digital event," if anything like a typical Nintendo Direct, will be a lot more focused and software-oriented than traditional E3 events, which are often bloated with special effects and investor fodder. The Smash Bros. tournament is the icing on the cake :)

Honesty, I would prefer that Sony and Microsoft followed suit and abandoned the spectacle of E3 altogether. It's just another loud industry event.

Around the Network
Pavolink said:

TP was not even an introduction trailer, and we already know the epic reactions.

We also got epic reactions for Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and that was not part of a mainline Nintendo live conference. It was a seperate event for the press (which we will still get, based on last year's E3). We also got epic reactions for the X reveal (and yes while it wasn't "heard" like the TP reaction was, the announcement still reverberated across the internet), which was part of a ND. Again, not live, not part of an E3 Conference.

Obviously we're not going to change our mindsets on this issue, but I'm siding with Rol on this one.

Smeags said:
Pavolink said:

We also got epic reactions for Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and that was not part of a mainline Nintendo live conference. It was a seperate event for the press (which we will still get, based on last year's E3). We also got epic reactions for the X reveal (and yes while it wasn't "heard" like the TP reaction was, the announcement still reverberated across the internet), which was part of a ND. Again, not live, not part of an E3 Conference.

Obviously we're not going to change our mindsets on this issue, but I'm siding with Rol on this one.

They already covered the E3 with a big conference. There was no need to announce it. This time they are in need.

A little marketing for their console won't hurt. And a E3 conference is exactly what they needed to market just a little and give confidence to consumers.

Smeags said:
There will be an E3 conference... just not live...

Whether it'll succeed or fail has never been dependent on whether it's live or digital, but about the content they show for the fans.

Sure, we had great live conferences like 2006 and 2010... but we also had less-than-great (that's putting it lightly) conferences with 2008 and 2012. Being live or not had very little to do with their successes and failures. Nintendo will impress with new features, games, and announcements, not CEO and talking heads going on about sales, ecosystems, and other buzzwords.

And with a digital conference, the only technical issue they have to worry about is their live-feed (which *was* piss poor last year. Hopefully they'll have that fixed this time... >_>). No more crashing games (Assassin's Creed at the PS conference) or broken controls due to interference (Skyward Sword). Nintendo will show us exactly what they want to show us, and they'll succeed or fail based off of that.

Very much this.

A wise man once said that content is king. Nintendo will succeed or fail depending on what games they show and the quality of the showcase material. If Nintendo hasn't been slacking they should have a decent amount of games to show off and if they broadcast a main event and then place out some strategic (not Wii Fit Trainer) announcements during E3 they could not only raise the hype but also keep the momentum going throughout the event.

I don't think it's a mistake at all, they are still showing something just not in the traditional mold of e3.

total people not to get to excited two weeks ago.

looks like some hearts got crushed in this thread lol.